Yamaha High thrust extra long leg conversion kit

23Hourston

It seems my leg is too short I need an extension. From regular shaft to extra long shaft anybody done this. What's involved.. Google has not helped me with this search

You'll most likely need a longer drive shaft, shift shaft, water tube and the 5" spacer, the leg will have to come apart to change the drive shaft , on boats.net the driveshaft is $306 shift shaft $57, water tube $19 and the spacer $400 all
Prices is usd

You may find it cheaper to sell yours and buy the motor you need. The parts listed above don't include the labour to remove the driveshaft from the gearcase to swap.

Keep an eye out for a cheap blown motor with a good complete gearcase...then you could just swap the complete lower end and the other parts. It may end up being from an older model but wouldn't matter.

If you can somehow make the switch do it. When I switched to a longer leg my set up worked way better. Well worth the effort. Boat tracks and steers better plus the kicker never comes out in rough water. I agree that you may be better off selling and then just buying the right kicker. The conversion seems pricey

Going to see if I can live with it. If not might lover the bracket. What's another 4 holes in the transom :(
While we're on the subject how do you guys fill/patch holes

I think Profisher gave you the best answer - look around for a good deal on a good XL shaft motor and then sell yours to someone with a boat with less draft. If you have the storage space for parts, can find a motor with a blown power head for next to nothing, and have the skills to swap out the leg yourself, that could also be an option. You would know you have a good power head and not buying someone elses problem unless you buy new. You would also end up with a lot of good spare parts some of which you could sell. The less holes you have through the glass into the wood of the transom the better, no matter how good the patch job - way to many boats out there with rotten transoms.

Last edited:
By lowering the engine you are going from an annoying problem that won't do any harm to the motor to a problem where you are putting the powerhead closer to being drowned and doing some damage. There wil be times when you need to put the kicker in reverse to play a fish and will have a following sea. Keep the powerhead up off the water.

What year you looking for? i have some parts ones here

I have a bottom end for ya then as im looking for one in the 2012 model as it way different than older models not hard to switch out power heads give me a call.
Have the whole thing all you need is to swap it out and have a spare lower leg for parts then

wolf

Back