Yamaha 9.9 repair or replace?

abbyfireguy

As you may have seen, I am looking to replace my Yammie 9.9 Hi Thrust due to oil pan /upper case corrosion.
I really like the motor and have now found the parts to repair the beast.
A good oil pan with exhaust housing and a good upper case. Can get all items for just under $200.
Has anyone tackled this chore before?
My motor currently goes through about 1/2 a liter of oil in a 2 day trip,then stops leaking. I have a few trips planned in August and Sept. where I will need the kicker,but most of my use is usually in the Fraser River as this is an inboard Jetboat...
Yes I do get the looks when guys see me hauling in a Hali at 7 mile bank off Bamfield!! That is priceless.
I am thinking maybe grab the parts now,put up with adding a bit of oil for now,and dig into the repair over the winter when I have a few months of no boating.
By then my son will have his engine swap done and I will own my shop and tools once again(I hope!!).
Any thoughts and experience with this sort of repair would be most appreciated.
I do have lots of mechanical experience and according to my wife,every tool known to man.

Thanks guys ,as always I know someone will have good advice..

I would go for it......what’s the worst that can happen? You will be out 200 and some time, Just think though....you get to see what makes that baby tick and the gratification of a job well done. (If it works).
I rebuilt an old OMC cobra leg a few times before I got it right...that was a project!
Good Luck

Not to get too GREEN on you but what's up with running a kicker that you KNOW is puking oil into the water??

It makes me cringe even more when you say you run it in the Fraser

get 'er fixed or retire her from active duty!

Well, I couldn't wait too long,so it was road trip time today.Seattle and back.. Have all the parts to fix the old girl I hope. The used parts were in excellent shape. I think I will get ambitious and just tear into it next week.. Don't need the kicker for 3 or 4 weeks.. That will keep me motivated to get it done.
Just need a water ppm kit and a few gaskets and we're good to go...

Sharp hooks , no need to worry about me dumping oil in the Fraser. I don't use the kicker in the Fraser.
Only had one trip with it leaking and at that, only lost .4 of a liter. The motor only takes .9 of a liter total.
The other time it leaked was in the shop after topping it up.
The last thing I want is to leave an oil slick behind me!!

Back