Yamaha 9.9 Gremlins

bigdogg1

Long story short...I have been cleaning out old wiring to my starter/house batteries, have had Blue Sea components (bars, Macr's, etc, added a better bilge pump and a wash down. Lots left to do but was nearing the end. Dry tested every connection prior to butt joints and shrink wrap as needed. Had one wire left to connect to bilge pump and had to leave so shut system down. Came back, connected wire and out of nowhere, my 9.9 started tilting as soon as I turned on the battery switch.

I cut the last wire I connected, tried the battery switch and the motor kept coming up.

So now I have disconnected power to the 9.9 while I resolve this. There has to be a short somewhere but what is dumbfounding is that I only attached the one wire prior to the gremlins and now it doesn't turn off.

No idea about where to look so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I tried that it quickly before the motor reached the top of its run. No love. Now I am in a dilemma because the only way I can stop the trim motor from constantly being on and trying to keep raising the motor is to disconnect the ground from the motor itself.

More than likely it is the trim switch on your shifter that has gone bad, what you can do is open the control box and disconnect the trim switch by pulling apart the 3 quick disconnects on the trim switch and turn the power back on to see if the motor will trim up on its own, if it doesn't you have found the problem, or the easy way is have someone hold the trim switch down while you turn the power on, the motor should trim down, but when you take your finger off the trim switch it will come up by itself, faulty trim switch.

Started at the other end of the line (where the blue and green ring terminals connect to the trim unit itself. Even though the motor is overall quite clean, I gave the ring terminals a brushing with emery cloth and voila - works like it should!

Thanks for the advice on this...now on to the switch panel in the helm...time to replace the early 90's glass fuse circuitry.

Back