Yamaha 8HP High Thrust Manual Tilt - Warning when trailering

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I don't know when it happened usually when I troll I have my motor in the trimmed in default position clicked in. And of course when I trailer is clicked in this position also. The other day I was noticing when tilting the two other positions I never use wouldn't click over and hold motor upright...Hmmm that was weird..

I looked up at the aluminum die casted tilt stops. There are a few steps where the stainless plate will click into ( one puts motor position parallel and the other trimmed out slightly. They are completely sheered off. I am guessing that when I was trailing the tilt wasn't locked in properly.. and I hit a few bumps hard enough causing power head to swing. The hit sheered off all the teeth. Poor design IMHO.

Its kind of a **** off off but luckily I don't use those settings. Because these pieces are casted aluminum if I was to fix it I would have to replace the entire assembly. Pretty expensive. I will post up pic soon. Just make sure when your ready to go your kicker tilt is locked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Look forward to seeing a picture, just to clarify.
In my case ,to avoid any problems, I added an eye bolt in the motor well and run a ratchet strap from it, one wrap around the kicker leg, and tie off to the tie-down eyelbolt.
Ratchet it snug, and nothing moves. No bouncing up and down or turning of the kicker while trailering.
Doesn't need a fancy ratchet strap. I just use a 1" Cdn Tire cheapie and replace every couple of years.

This is it. See how the steps are sheered off. Your looking at back of motor bracket with tilt up. The breaks are on both sides...This is why I am not a fan of die casted aluminum... The ***** is my warranty just expired a few months ago...2014-06-04 16.44.18.jpg2014-06-04 16.44.41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the same motor and the rusted tilt bracket looks very familiar. Any ideas how to get the main tilt lever free. Mine is jammed and will only move with light hammer tap. This can be very annoying when in the water as it's all down on my swim grid. I have to bungie the motor in the up position as it will not stay locked in up pos.

Any ideas?

Back