Yamaha 40 elj (1986) is it worth it to fix

top fuel

Yamaha 40 elj (1986) is in need of a piston one cylinder bore rings and gaskets. To get it done was guesstimated about 1500. If I get parts 3-4 weeks away. Do assembly with a mechanic friend prob guessing 800. One piston would be oversized I'm ok with that its old. But my question is is it worth it or just cut my losses. Anyone have a 40 or 50 for sale.

IMG_0890.JPG From what I found Wiesco Pistons are nicer and less money, last one I did I did all the holes, (3 cyl merc) and parts and machine work was less than your guess including boysen reeds. Think bore and hone 3 holes was about$120, parts out of the states. I think about $85 us a piston with rings plus gaskets. Ran beautiful, coustomer was super happy! Beautiful pistons!

Googled Wiesco and bought direct I think, one of the larger on lines for gaskets. Exchange was nicer then however I see factory pistons are in the $150 range each now. Delivery was faster and price less than local unfortunately!

If you are going to do a single piston go Oem or see if you can get Wiesco piston weight, did a inline 6 Merc top hole oversize and the wiesco piston was heavier than Oem, ran fine for 15 years I know and then sold it but like weights similar preferably.

Last edited:
Back