Yamaha 350

Can you post some pic myescape! and are you allowed to say what they cost? ;p

Kev: I thought they were available fall, you sure it's not getting twin 250's ? (remember my dream EC..except for that one small problem of $$$$$$$)..pls do post pics. !!!

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

Will let you know in a couple of weeks when we launch a brand new EagleCraft 33' Charter Boat with twin monster 350 V8 Yami's.

Cheers ME

Geez, I thought my old 250 Merc EFI's were thirsty. I burn 40 litres per engine per hour at 4200 rpm and I'm doing 25-27 knots over the ground at that rate. At wide open I'm doing 33-34 knots but unless it's dead calm and visiblity is perfect I'm too worried about junk in the water. Plus the consumption is pushing 55 litres/engine/hr.

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

If a 225 four stroker burns 50 liters per hour,what the hell does that monster burn?100 bucks a hour...Yippy!

According to the Yamaha website, twin 350's at 5900 rpm will burn 66.9 gal of fuel PER HOUR. If you can afford 2 of these motors, I guess $200 - $300 of fuel per hour is no big deal.

I don't feel so bad driving my SUV now :D

Note the 804 lbs per engine putting a cool 1600 lbs perched right at the back of the boat in a twin config. Yikes, that's going to cause the design guys some headaches. At least with inboards and a shaft the motor weight is back towards the center of the boat. I'm thinking lots of fuel and water waaaaaaayyyyyyy up at the bow. Well, you'd need the LOT'S of fuel anyways with dual V8s, but I'd love to take it for a spin on someone elses dime.

So when are the sea trials? And are you looking for any deckhands :D

I agree with SIR, the weight is too great to make an twin outboard setup practical. The Suzi' DF300 weighs in at 604 pounds, MUCH lighter. And doesn't look like a mutant alien head to boot. I don't think there is a plus to using twin 350's, but a single 350 to replace twin 150's or 200's would be a plus, and you would still be lighter. I'm waiting for someone to put one on a Sailfish 272, if we can get the fuel burn close to 15GPH, then I'd look at one.

The Yami 350's should be arriving here today or monday will shoot some pics and post them........

Heres some more specs on fuel burn............

The Outboard Expert: Exclusive First Drive of Yamaha's F-350
Yamaha also reveals more new models and updates at 2008 product launch.

by Charles Plueddeman, May 06, 2007
boats.com

I flew to Chattanooga last week for a Yamaha Marine media event, expecting to get my first chance to push down the throttle on the new 350-hp V8 Yamaha F350 outboard at the Yamaha test facility on the Tennessee River near Bridgeport, Ala.. That happened — over and over — but Yamaha revealed that it has more than the F350 up its sleeve for 2008. There's a new F225 with a 20-inch shaft tuned just for bass boats, a revised line of Vmax performance two-strokes, and a tiny new F9.9 kicker. We'll cover those motors next week. Here's the skinny on the F350.

F350: The Big Fella

There were no new technical details on the F350 delivered at the media launch. If you missed our February report from the Miami International Boat Show, know that this 5.3-liter monster is the largest, most-powerful outboard ever offered to the public. The motor is a double overhead-cam, 60-degree V8, displacing 5330cc, or 325 cubic inches. Dry weight with a 25-inch shaft is 804 pounds. The motor features variable valve timing, ionic combustion sensors to protect it from pre-ignition damage cause by low-octane fuel, a new anti-corrosion system, massive forged motor mounts and transom bracket (with six bolts), heavy-duty gears and drive shaft made of hardened steel, a special series of Saltwater Series XL propellers with 21 percent more blade area than standard Yamaha Saltwater Series props, and a new air-intake labyrinth designed to keep water intrusion to a minimum. It is also the first Yamaha outboard to feature a digital drive-by-wire throttle and shift control.

The mission of the F350 is to push large off-shore boats. With its special props and power, Yamaha claims the F350 makes 45 percent more thrust than a 250-hp outboard, an expression of its sheer pushing-power. Look for two of these big motors to replace triple 250 or 275 outboards and save weight, complexity, room on the transom and rigging costs. Of course, some owners will simply unbolt triple 250s and bolt on triple F350s. On wide-beam boats that were traditionally powered by inboard diesels, the change to outboards takes more than 1,000 pounds of weight out of the boat, and opens up space below the cockpit that can be used for a berth or stowage.

My first F350 experience was at the wheel of one of the boats that inspired the development of this big motor, the Grady-White Express 360. Grady has been rigging this 15,000-pound (dry weight) 36-foot 7-inch, 13-foot beam boat with triple Yamaha F250 outboards. In that guise, the Express 360 cruises at 4500 rpm/31 mph and 0.9 mpg. Top speed is just over 44 mph at 6000 rpm, with the motors burning 60.2 gph, or about 0.74 mpg. With twin F350 motors, the Grady gets that same 0.9 mpg fuel economy at 4500 rpm/32.7 mph, and top speed is 45 mph. At WOT, the twin F350 motors burned 66.9 gph, for economy of 0.67 mpg. So rigged with twin F350s, the Grady is a little faster, despite losing 50 hp, but also burns more fuel.

There's going to be less drag in the water with twins vs. triples, and I think the big props on the F350s are going to be more efficient on this size boat, so that explains the slight gain in speed. It's the displacement of the F350 that hurts its fuel economy. Consider that the combined displacement of the three F250 motors is 9.9 liters, but the twin F350s displace a combined 10.6 liters. That added displacement means there's more combustion chamber volume to fill on each stroke, and more power loss to internal drag.

The twin F350s put the Grady smartly on plane, though there's really no drama when you punch the throttles. You get a firm push on the transom with minimal apparent prop slip as the F350s get down to business. The new digital control is smooth and the throttle action is linear, and using this control is certainly easier than managing three levers connected to cables. The automatic engine sync feature is slick, in that it constantly adjusts the starboard engine as you throttle the port control, rather than waiting for a new setting on the port side and then synchronizing the other engine. I was also surprised how much trim effect the motors have on a boat of this size. Yamaha has not engineered a power steering system for the F350 — a feature I've come to love on the big Mercury Verado motors — but the Grady was rigged with Teleflex Tournament power steering that works great. To handle the weight and thrust of the F350, this boat was rigged with two Teleflex power-steering rams, at the request of Teleflex, which has approved this rigging for the big Yamaha. The Tournament series steering also has a stout stainless steel bracket to the motor.

Triple F225 weigh a combined 1,782 pounds, compared to 1,608 for a pair of F350s, so you'll shave 174 pounds off the transom. I've not sure that has much effect on a boat this size, but a pound saved is always a good thing. Pricing info was not available, but I expect there won't be much price difference between triple 250s and twin 350s. Yamaha told me that Grady will offer the Express 360 with either a twin or triple rig next year, and that might include triple F350 motors, which will boost top speed to 54 mph, according to Yamaha. One hard-core angler at this meeting pointed out that many boats currently running triple V6 outboards can plane on two if one breaks down. With twins, you'll be looking at a long, slow run home if you lose an engine.

I also ran a Scout 262 Sportfish rigged with a single F350. This is a really nice-riding 26-foot center console that handles like a dream. Typically rigged with twin Yamaha F150 motors, the Scout runs 53.7 mph with that package, according to Yamaha test data. With a single F350, I saw 58 mph. With twin F150s, the boats gets 2.72 mpg at 3500 rpm and 27.5 mph, compared to 2.66 mpg at 4000 rpm and 36.9 mph for the F350. The F350 delivers a nice performance gain with minimal loss of economy, you get the smooth digital control and more room on the transom, and a single F350 weighs 128 pounds less than twin F150s. If you are ready to go with a single motor, the F350 will be a real performer, though it would be interesting to compare the F350 to a single 300-hp four-stroke or two-stroke on the same boat.

Overall, the F350 made a good first impression.

Editor's Note: Charles Plueddeman is the editor at large for Boating, the nation's largest boating magazine.

Back