Yamaha 2008 300 HP V8 REVIEWS

the fog ducker

IMG_9597.PNG Hey

So , lookin at repowwring the 2301 Striper , lookin at this motor , 2008 Yami 300 HP , its like new , few hunded hours only , its alot heavier than the new V6 300's , but still lighter than my twin 150's
Anyone have any dirt on these , issues , fuel consumption , gonna guess it will be a rocket on my rig lol , i just like the holeshots and actually rarely go over 40 , cruise around 3500 , not kick the crap outta the motor ,

Thoughts ??

Felix

Last edited:
No real experience but have read these had some issues with flywheels?
Probably pretty good motors though.
You will miss the holeshot of the twins but will see better milage......

I believe it was the 350 Yami that had a flywheel or damper problem. It would come apart after so many hundred hrs. It takes out the ignition under the flywheel if not caught in time.

special thanks to BCI , Brian , thanks again for the pm , alot of great info ,
bottom line for me , i will not be buying the Gen 1 Yami 300 , issues for sure !!

if anyone heres of a newer 250-300 hp , drop me a line , no rush
its for next season , but i am ready to buy for the right motor/deal anytime ( no V8 Yami's )

felix

Last edited:
btw Scott , those reviews are on the newer V6 300 ( gen 2 )
the motor im reviewing was the larger 5.3 liter V8
sounds like they both have there issues , my buddy snapped his crank on one his new twin 350's second season
derby also deep sixed his newer 3oo for a Suzuki ,

sounds like Suzuki or G2 are the way to roll in my area

fd

Love my 300...2015. Seems bullet proof so far, not a hiccup outta it 200+ on it

A Yamaha Guy ? only 200 hours ? all that Tuna chasing ;
im sure were only hearing about the bad ones
fingers crossed and ya get another 2000 hassle free !!

starting to really here better things about the newer 4 Stroke Mercs again too ,

Etec's newer G2's have a 10 year , now thats tough to beat , these motors really grew on me , but $$ in my situation
unfortunately service is hard to come by here in Van on Evinrudes,
Lordship closing shop on Victoria really hurt alot of us ,
there under new owners in Delta ( great mechanic, Doug is still with them from old Victoria shop , we miss him !! all gd things come to an end i guess )
but new shop is too far in South Delta , new owner seemed kinda dis- interested in new customers ,brushed me off , said hes way to busy , booked up for 6 weeks ,
.............but Mike at PY Marine has always been great
to us in Port , see what happens here financially this year for me , who knows

fd

I've been running Yamaha's main and kickers for 30 years. I just repowered wth F300 and im very happy so far. Good performance on my hull compared to F250. I did cosider etec and suzi's on my repower but went with the yammi. I did try to drive myself crazy doing research with all the bitching on the internet. In the end it was the recommendation from my dealer at Parker Marine who have treated me incredibly well. Rather than wondering what potentially may go wrong, im just hapoy with the performance of my boat. Time will tell. Gene

Back