Yamaha 115 or 150?

Considering re-powering my Campion 542. It has a Suzuki 140 on it now which pushes it well. Would a Yamaha 115 do, or should I be looking at the 150? Or other? Thanks.

150hp I really love those hulls and went to buy one that had a 115hp on it what a dog needs the 150hp. I didn't buy it for that reason alone!

150 for sure. then play with props. Would also look at the option of a 4 blade prop. 4 blade on my 150 made a world of diff on the back of my 21 trophy.

150 would be my choice, approx. $3500 more and about 100lbs heavier but worth it, in my opinion
and as "Jencourt" said "150 for sure. then play with props. Would also look at the option of a 4 blade prop.
4 blade on my 150 made a world of diff on the back of my 21 trophy."

We put a Solas Titan 4 blade s/s 14.5 x 15p and it made the world of difference on our 200 ET Searunner

I have a 2006 542 with a 115 opti.
Runs great, has enough power for where I fish. It's under powered with 4 people on board.
Get the 150!!

Marko,

Absolutely no issues with the Suzuki 140 (knock on wood). It's a 1999 2 stroke and I hear they're supposed to be bulletproof. I bought the boat 3 years ago and don't know how much time is on the motor and 15 years seems to be a long time....
Recommendations?

Absolutely go with the 150. I had a 2010 542 with the Yam 150 and it was a great combination. A Yam 19" pitch 3 blade in painted steel is a good place to start for a prop.

I had an 03 542 with a 115 merc 4 stroke. Sadly underpowered. Folks that bought it from me recently put a 150 and they are delighted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2000- Campion 542 with a 115 Suzuki 2-stroke, it's ok with two-three guys and long and you are not in a hurry to get up on plane. I am just waiting for it to blow up so i can re-power. I was thinking E-tec because of weight, but i guess some of the newer 4-strokes are getting lighter. Hmmm ...

Have twin 150 opti's on my 24 ft alumn. They have been flawless so far (knock on aluminum-lol)..just looking for a good place on the Island to buy merc oil????

A friend has an 03 Campion 542 that came with a 115 Mercury 4-stroke. It is barely o.k. with 2 guys in calm conditions. If the boat is heavily loaded or you are attempting to travel in rough seas there is no where near enough power/response to ride through the swells/larger waves. You have to go very slow or to stay on plane go pretty fast and get pounded to pieces. A 2-stroke would give better instant power and response but if staying with a 4-stroke a 150 hp would be my recommendation. It is much better to have a little extra power than not enough.

...Rob

Back