Yam T8 starting issue?

Clipper

I didn't want to hijack Hali killer's "New kicker" post so I thought I'd start a new one.

After some of the discussion previous, I gotta wonder why some T8's are easy starters and some aren't. Carb adjustment? Something else? The F6 I had was a pull start and it cranked right up on first or second pull. My T8, which is basically the same motor, is an electric start, power tilt model and it is just plain finiky to start. I've think I've found the best routine and it always eventually fires up but it usually involves a fair bit of cranking and a couple of false starts. Kind of annoying.

Anybody with an easy start T8 have any suggestions?

You got me thinking Fog. My engine has the remote control BUT it also has a choke knob on the motor housing. Should I or should I not be using that choke knob when starting? That's what I'm currently doing - pulling the choke knob out on the motor and not pushing the ignition switch in when cranking. Maybe that's the problem? Something to try for sure. Could it be that simple? Duh! :(

mine's full remote as well , NEVER had ta touch the choke on the motor , only on the remote ,
push the key i thinks , been a while , you will here the choke solenoid click when pushed !
one hand on the key , pushin the choke , the other hand on the throttle raising the idle accordingly to keep from stalling , runs perfect in 5 seconds,,,

again , love this little motor , so quiet n smooth , major balls for such a small kicker..

FD

I didn't want to hijack Hali killer's "New kicker" post so I thought I'd start a new one.

After some of the discussion previous, I gotta wonder why some T8's are easy starters and some aren't. Carb adjustment? Something else? The F6 I had was a pull start and it cranked right up on first or second pull. My T8, which is basically the same motor, is an electric start, power tilt model and it is just plain finiky to start. I've think I've found the best routine and it always eventually fires up but it usually involves a fair bit of cranking and a couple of false starts. Kind of annoying.

Anybody with an easy start T8 have any suggestions?

X2 Starting my T8. The mechanic at the parksville boathouse warned me of this issue. Of coarse it was after I bought it and it was installed. I don't mind it so much now that I have the routine figured out but I wish it was just as easy as turning the key and go.

Thanks Fog! I'll be checking this out asap. I'd always heard great things about the T8 so I was a little disappointed that it was such a pain to start. Maybe it's just me.

MS, I bought mine at Pksville as well. I took it back and complained about the hard starting and they richened up the pilot circuit which helped a bit but not enough. I'm gonna try starting the 'right' way and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pump the bulb. Ensure that it has fuel, then use the ignition push choke and push it in multiple times as u start it. Keep pushing the choke in and out till it starts. Mine takes a minute to start start when it's cold, but it always fires. Once it's been running one day, the next day it fires first crank. My biggest problem.........you can't hear it when it's running. It needs an "on" light. I see one as I crank it (red), but sconce it's running it's off.

My T8 was hard to start till a guy in Nooka told me to push the choke back in bring the idle up and it's ready to go. Works every time.

I have a two year old T8 ( tiller model) I had a few start up issues when a bought it brand new ( check my posting it is somewhere) but it was just user error. When it is cold it may take a few pulls and starts up right away. Big thing is be careful. The problem I ran into was that I left my choke in full when I started and left there, and then just plugged up the carbs- very frustrating. The procedure I do is set choke full with throttle a little more than starting position. Once (2 to 3 pulls) it starts I set it to choke 1/2 just enough to warm up a little, and then choke off with throttle rev up a little in neutral. I continue to heat it up a few more minutes, and put rev down ( I usually am getting my gear ready anyway) and make sure she is nice and warm before I shift forward, and start trolling. Never had a problem since. Once this is done I can start it one pull all day....

I agree they are very hard starting, but it is a marine motor. Each one has its own starting techniques..... It is just the morning start you have to deal with. Once it hot it is good to go all day.

High Five

I have a T8 tiller [2008 model year - bought new in 2010]. What you describe [the issue and the way to get it started] is exactly our experience as well. And after the first start of the day, it's one pull to start for the rest of the day.

I have a 2005 T8 bought new in 2008, electric start but no electric tilt or choke on the controls but have controls up front. No problem if two people on boat. I set throttle about 1/4, go back and pull manual choke to full, when cold and wife hits the key, fires after a couple revs, choke in and we're good for the rest of the day. If by myself, same as above but set choke about 3/4 and after a few revs and if your fast enough to get to the T8 and push it in, you're off and running. I usually fire both, the main & kicker up before we leave in the morning and let both warm up before leaving. The T8 is usually still warm enough when we reach the fishing grounds that we have no problem.

Dennis

I don't know if the later models have the starting position marked on the throtle, but my 2003 has the starting position marked.

Attachments

• DSCN0021a.jpg
    DSCN0021a.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 40
They are a pig to start. The older units you could fix that by porting out the jets a bit. Can't get away with that on new models. Only thing that works is to fast idle it with lots of choke until it warms up. They are dogs.

Mine isn't a dog. Probably the most reliable outboard I've owned in the 40 years I've owned boats.

Mine is an electric start power tilt model and just like AIK pointed out if I don't have it in the exact start location on the throttle with full choke she is not happy to start. once i found the sweet spot from a buddy who has the same motor pointed it out to me i have never had a problem. I had a T6 on my last boat and it was the same way.

Glad I'm not the only one who has been annoyed at the slow start when cold.
(mine is electric start, never had a problem with other manual starts.)
Never occurred to me to use the manual choke on the motor as an override, will give it a shot next time.

Back