Yam 50 vs. Honda 50

Captain Dudds

The traditional debate! Which is better and why? Here are the 2 motors I'm looking at:

Honda:
-600 hrs - used for commuting so thats all hard running time, not trolling.
-decent sized chunk missing from cavitation plate - I have the piece and know some welders so I think I can get it fixed
-SW stored, pulled about once a year to change oil and flush with FW
-top end oil was a bit milky so they took it to mechanic - he replaced the gasket and took a look in the cylinders and said there is no corrosion.

Yam:
-550 hrs - guy bought it from SG as a lodge lease return with 400 hrs. Used to troll so not as much hard running time as Honda
-Never seen a mechanic - never had any issues
-dry stored - flushed after each use. They guy said he used the hose nozzle attachment which worries me a bit because without the engine running, the thermostat won't open and FW won't flush through the head - I think thats my main hesitation with this motor.
-4 cyl so a little smoother than the honda which is 3

Both started up no problem.

Any opinions? My thoughts are that honda is known for rock solid reliability, but the yam appears to be in better shape. however, appearence is skin deep - the honda just had the head off and got the OK.

I Appreciate any advice (especially if your a mechanic!)

go with tha Yamaha.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I owned a Yamaha 50 hp 4 stroke power tilt and sold it with about 700 hrs on it and it ran like a top with no problems.

Check with the yamaha dealer about that flush issue ,I asked when i bought my yamaha and they claimed it flushed the head.Phone call is cheap.Sounds like the yamaha has been responsibly cared for.Ive had 3 yamahas and one honda.Both makes were excellent,although I would lean to the yamaha.Dan

Awesome! A mechanic my dad knows said otherwise but it looks like he's wrong. Given that, I think the yamaha is the way to go. Thanks for the reply's!

They're both great motors but from the info you posted I'd go with the Yammy. I run Honda's right now but had Yammy's on my other boat. Both flawless. All you want to hear is verumm verumm in the morning;).

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Back