XMAS

W

weasone

With xmas just around the corner i have to start a list for the wife and kids, i was thinking on a new reel has anyone tried any of the okuma reels? I would like something that is good quality as you get what you pay for. Living in Edmonton at the moment but will be moving to the Island (next spring) after we get some personal things taken care of (wife had breast cancer so when we are done with plastic surgery we will be moving). So i would like to start getting some fishing gear togeather in the mean time so ant other suggestions would be great. Boat will come when we get to the Island
then i will have lots of questions. I have been reading this forum for quite somm time and from what i have read it is a great board with lots of great people and great advise. Hope to meet some of you when we move there.
Take care

Your talking flyreels right? I used an okuma for pinks on the beach and for how cheap they are i was really impressed. Was way better than my dragonfly. I upgraded to a greys they are made by hardy. I picked up a 9-11wt with 3 spools for only 120 new.I havent used it enough yet but it worked well on springs. Tons to choose from though most are pretty good

Thanks Poppa Swiss, is the Diawa M One Plus a good reel or would you suggest a different brand

I have both and for the price($70-$100) they are fine, I think I prefer the dawia though. Of course if you wanna go nuts look at an Islander or similar knock-off.

I find the Islander reels way over rated. Surely they have a nice mechanism and real simple one so that you can expect a long life span. But for $600 + tax? Nuts! You can buy excellent rods and mooching reel combos for much less. The Daiwa's are good and the Shimano too...reliable, last a long time and take quite a bit abuse too...

Forget the fishing gear until you get your boat!!!!
Moving from Edmonton to the coast.....
Rain Gear
Wicking socks
Boots
Umbrella's
Portable Dehumidifier
Trail maps of the Island
Water proof GPS
Bird books of the West Coast
Water proof Binoculars
Sell the snow blower!

If you are moving to the coast and want to look like a local you are going to have to get yourself a stanfield top. Warm even when wet,looks cool and doubles as formal wear in certain locales:D Also know as a westcoast tuxedo by some.

Howdy,

AKA... Langford tuxedo!

Don't forget your ice-box to keep the POP cold.

Cheers,
Terry

Yes they are the grey wool jobs. Have to laugh but they are awesome and look cool too. Every self respecting westcoast logger,fisherman,hunter and redneck has one for work and one for going out in public:D Stanfield tops are kind of a westcoast local thing I guess just like lucky lager beer is.

I guess i should have told you in first topic that i lived in New West and Surrey for over 20 years then got transferd to Edmonton, all the fishing that i did in BC was trout fishing and fished the Fraser.
i Have a Surrey Dinner jacket Black and Red Plad lumber jacket but i will have to get myself a Langford dinner jacket LOL

Try the 6500 and larger series of Abu Garcia reels with a 10 1/2 ft. med./heavy slow action rod. AG reels are Swedish made and very dependable..they will last a lifetime. I use a Shimano Convergence graphite rod and with the this combo I can fish the salt for Salmon or use it for drift fishing steelhead in a river enviro.
quote:Originally posted by weasone

sorry,i was thinking level wind for salmon fishing

I was told the Abu's don't stand up to saltwater to well? I use one for river fishing and love it, but I wouldn't take it near the salt.

I have had 3 Abu 7000 for almost 16 years now and they held up quite well. Just need to rinse them with fresh water everyonce in awhile. Although this year they showed their age and I retired them to sit on a shelf or be used with my kids when they want to real something in.

Back