X-raps for salmon

outback

Anyone tried these of the downriggers?

i love the action and they use them for practically every other species on the planet... But it seems they have never caught on for salmon?(no pun intended)

I understand that spoons,bait and tomic plugs work great... but anyone got any stories to tell?

i pull one while i am hali trollin and have some coho fun...

Caught a 15lb spring a few summers ago with a Rapala, not sure of the size (it's the common 4-5" one I think) but it was fished behind a flasher lol. I do believe there is strong potential for them to be fished without a flasher off the rigger or right on the surface for salmon... Why not?
Never have tried the combo again as we were just playing around with random gear that evening.... ;)

I heard that when the coho get in close to shore near the surface, you can throw on some floating popper flies or flat faced plugs intended for bass and they'll attack hard. No personal evperience with those though. Coho are usually deeper when I have them on except for when I am anchored for Hali and they start jumping right beside the boat to tease me.

sometimes we give the fish to much credit. If a fish is hungry, it will take a crack at it. A hungry fish is not going to turn down a potential meal because it is not a hoochie or spoon. Its nature. A fish has got to eat.

I picked up some small 3" storm swim shads I plan on pulling round for salmon...it looks like a fish, swims like a fish, feels like a fish...don't see why it wont work!

Give em a try, Rapalas are quite fishy!
Think outside the box, put fish in the box. :)

Back