WTB: chartplotter/depth sounder

Rum Buddies

I'm looking to upgrade the electronics on the boat and I want a mid to upper level combo unit. Anybody selling or have any recommendations?

I have a Lowrance LMS 337C DF. Happy with it. You can go to the Lowrance site and download simulations for most of their units.

Garmin ...best maps ...ease of use...cool high res digital aerial photos of all ports, lighthouses, marinas, large and small to me there is no better one out there...add in radar overlay on your charting software, satellite weather it has it all....the new Colorado handhelds are unbelievable....new toggle and scroll setup is the wave of the future....

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us

i was looking at the Garmin yesteday and they have some awesome units. Totally easy to use and some pretty cool 3d and arial mapping features.

I'm looking that Garmin 520 - anybody have one?

I just got a Lowrance LCX 37C sonor/chartplotter. It has a 8.4 inch screen (they also make a 10.5" screen model), 460,000 pixel resolution, 1000 watt power, dual frequency (50/200 mhz) transducer, with a fuel flow sensor and a Navionics Platium map card that shows bottom contours in 3D.

Lowrance has the easy T connector system so it is easy to install and change/upgrade. I can run my engine sensors right on the display screen as well. I also got the brand new broadband sonar enhancer module that boost the sonar signal up to 30,000 watts, so you can see down to 5,000 ft. in salt water (say hello to real fish arches, not misleading fish symbols). All this cost about $3,200.

Garmin doesn't even come close to this kind of resolution, power and functionality. The only way to do better is get into commercial grade equipment. That's my 2 bits.

Garmin GPS units cannot be beat (IMO) but their sonar units leave a LOT to be desired and I would not recommend them unless you are only using it in shallow and/or freshwater. Lowrance or Raymarine would be my first choice for sounders.

X2 .... Have a look at the Lowrance units (27C, 37C, 112C) for sure if you are using it more for fishing then cruising, as the sounders seem alot better then the garmin. As WITW said the 'network' is very easily added on to, and the new broadband sounder is going to be a pretty powerful tool. You also have the option to share that over multiple units with the port expander! Nothing wrong with Garmin, but the charts are going to cost you large!!! WITW where did you find a platinum chip? Haven't seen those yet are they available locally? What do they cost? Thanks

I'm also looking at the Lowrance 37C.According to Navionics the platinum chart isn't compatable with this model.Maybe it's not up to date.
Descriptions of models and prices at http://mrfishfinder.com/
Good fishing

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

I just got a Lowrance LCX 37C sonor/chartplotter. It has a 8.4 inch screen (they also make a 10.5" screen model), 460,000 pixel resolution, 1000 watt power, dual frequency (50/200 mhz) transducer, with a fuel flow sensor and a Navionics Platium map card that shows bottom contours in 3D.

Lowrance has the easy T connector system so it is easy to install and change/upgrade. I can run my engine sensors right on the display screen as well. I also got the brand new broadband sonar enhancer module that boost the sonar signal up to 30,000 watts, so you can see down to 5,000 ft. in salt water (say hello to real fish arches, not misleading fish symbols). All this cost about $3,200.

Garmin doesn't even come close to this kind of resolution, power and functionality. The only way to do better is get into commercial grade equipment. That's my 2 bits.

Whole in the Water,

I have the Lowrance LCX 18c now and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the 27c or 37c so I can also run radar. Do you find the Platium card and the 3D display considerably better for fishing than the Navionics Gold Card? Does it always display 3D or can you have it display like the Gold Card when you want to?

slabby email me again but include your email this time. I tried to respond to your pm but I'm guessing you never got it?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

i was looking at the Garmin yesteday and they have some awesome units. Totally easy to use and some pretty cool 3d and arial mapping features.

I have the Lowrance LMS 520c (very similar)and I am impressed with it other than it is single frequency. It has the ability to link with remote trolling motors, a VHF in an emergency will transmit my location, and I can add radar to this without upgrading the entire unit.

Due to unfortunate circumstances I may be forced to sell this if anyone is interested.

sent you a PM POE - check your spam box if you don't see it, seems that some messages are filtered by some email providers.

I just bought a Lowrance 525C-DF, haven't got it up and running yet, just finished installing the underwater parts before the boat was put back in the chuck. I was fairly impressed with the features, especially the networking capablility. Only downfall is it didn't come with a chip for the west coast which is kinda crappy so I'll have to wait for some more dough and then I'll buy the BC Coast Gold+ card. Slim chance anyone has one they want to part with eh? Never know till ya ask.

hey poe
if poppa doesnt take it
give me a shout!!

baz
quote:Originally posted by Poe

I have the Lowrance LMS 520c (very similar)and I am impressed with it other than it is single frequency. It has the ability to link with remote trolling motors, a VHF in an emergency will transmit my location, and I can add radar to this without upgrading the entire unit.

Due to unfortunate circumstances I may be forced to sell this if anyone is interested.

Thanks Time but with some discounts and such I've got it down to $130.00 at West Marine. Going to pick it up today.

quote:Originally posted by baz

hey poe
if poppa doesnt take it
give me a shout!!

baz
quote:Originally posted by Poe

It's still up for sale and taking offers....

Back