worst years in history for salmon

twinwinds

It's one of the worst years in history for salmon, and we're still killing them

By Stephen Hume, Vancouver Sun

October 14, 2009

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/worst+years+history+salmon+still+killing+them/2099674/story.html

Call it British Columbia's Silent Fall. Some of the most prolific spawning grounds on the Fraser River are showing minuscule returns from record brood stocks four years earlier.

At some sites, almost no fish were reported in waters that should be seething with darting, crimson-sided sockeye salmon vying by the millions to lay and fertilize 10 billion eggs.

Eagles, bears, trout, aquatic insects and plants that feed on decaying salmon may face a nutrient desert on some parts of the upper Fraser and its tributaries.

When I checked on Monday, fisheries counts in the week ending Sept. 23 reported no sockeye observed on the west arm of Quesnel Lake, a vast spawning area. On Quesnel Lake's east arm, 1,468 live sockeye were counted in the seven days to Sept. 29.

On the Quesnel system's North Lake, 3,693 live spawners were counted in the week to Sept. 28. These figures represent snapshots of salmon runs, not cumulative totals. Fish counts are dynamic and change from week to week, so stock analysts can't calculate actual escapements until well after the season ends. Still, these numbers look pretty dismal as almost eight million fewer salmon than expected return, many of them representing stocks in the lower Fraser.

With runs to the huge Quesnel system now considered complete, the reported live count at Bill Miner Creek for the week ending Sept. 29 was zero. Bouldery Creek, zero. Devoe Creek, zero. Long Creek, zero. Roaring River, zero. Abbot Creek, zero. Hazeltine Creek, zero. Spusks Creek, zero. Tasse Creek, zero. Whiffle Creek, zero. Junction Creek, four. Isaiah Creek, 14. Watt Creek, 42. Lynx Creek, 61. Tellingly, the count of salmon carcasses in these particular creeks totalled only 17.

The Pacific salmon stock outlook for 2009 forecast even odds for a return of around 3.5 million sockeye for the Quesnel system spawning areas.

In the Shuswap Lake system, the Adams River, a heavily promoted provincial tourist attraction during the spawning season, only 1,360 fish were counted in the river in the week ending Sept. 28 although more arrived during this past week but had yet to be tabulated by my deadline Tuesday.

On the Nechako River system, which includes Francois Lake, Ormonde Creek, Nithi Creek and Nadina River, no live spawners were observed during weeks from early September through early October, although 71 carcasses were counted on the Nadina.

Four years ago, the brood year escapement to the Nechako system was the highest on record for this particular cycle -- 600 per cent greater than the average from 1981-2001. This fall, 374,000 fish were forecast to return.

On the Horsefly River, the source of another vast sockeye stock, the live count was 1,623 fish for the week ending Oct. 4.

And yet, while one of the poorest sockeye returns to the Fraser in fisheries history was unfolding, the killing of sockeye was still sanctioned.

Figures posted to the website of the Pacific Salmon Commission, the joint Canada-U.S. agency that oversees Fraser sockeye, confirm that even as forecasts for sockeye returns were collapsing, non-commercial fisheries killed at least 102,740 of the already diminished stock returning.

Sports anglers fishing for other species were required to release any sockeye caught, but they still hooked 18,855 and studies show that from five to 15 per cent, possibly more, die from stress and injuries after being released. Particularly vulnerable are fish accidentally snagged by anglers. Close to 3,000 were likely killed by recreational anglers.

Another 31,870 sockeye were killed in two test fisheries used to determine run size and timing. First nations killed 10,020 in Johnston Strait and then killed 54,680 more in the Fraser, exercising their right to fish for cultural, ceremonial and subsistence purposes. First nations in the U.S. killed 4,300. Charter boats killed 1,865.

These are only the reported mortalities. How many more sockeye were accidentally killed as incidental bycatch in gillnet and seine fisheries for other species? Did some as yet unknown event in the lower Fraser cause a mass mortality of out-migrating smolts or, despite loud and early denials from industry and its apologists, did fish farms play some undetermined role in a mortality event for migrating juveniles?

One thing seems clear. We need answers. We need them fast.

shume@islandnet.com

So no impact by the Native fisheries in Canada? Talk about selective reporting :(

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Maybe if the natives in Port Alberni handed over some of thier allowed catch to the bands along the fraser, it would have offset the amount harvested. We all know someone in Port Alberni caught so many sockeye that they had to dump them in a ditch, why not just share the excess catch and not waste it.

Looks more like selective reading to me. "First nations killed 10,020 in Johnston Strait and then killed 54,680 more in the Fraser, exercising their right to fish for cultural, ceremonial and subsistence purposes. First nations in the U.S. killed 4,300."

But I don't think the point of the article it to point blame at user groups. It is a rallying cry aimed at raising awareness of the collapsed sockeye runs, the need for better self-management by user groups, and above all a need for better management. At least, that is what I take from it.

quote:Looks more like selective reading to me.

Yup-- quick scanning of the article had me miss that reference. But I can tell you that while there may be some accuracy in the Straits fishery, all reports from Natives on the Fraser are hard to accept given what the guys on the Fraser have reported this season...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Shouldn't the title say worst year in history for SOCKEYE salmon?!?!?! As from all reports it is one of the best years ever for Coho and a much better than predicted year for Chinooks. It just bugs me to see doom and gloom talk generalized when it seems to be about one specific species...which don't get me wrong is still worrysome, just not an entire salmon collapse as the title implies.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

The reason why I won't subscribe and support newspapers. Headlines are glorified to sell copies, often at their own customers business expense. Why would anyone buy something from someone who purposely distorts the truth and screws you? The 90's salmon crisis produced a front page headline in the TC that salmon fishing in BC was closed! Instead of Coho would be non-retention..."closed" obviuously grabs your attention and papers sold....my only recoarse is not to support them.

Non fisherman types will read this article and call for a moratorium
on salmon fishing. I think Hume has the Sockeye's best interest at heart, but we don't need this negative broadcasting.
Before you know it we'll have more restrictions in place :(

When was the last time nine million forecasted salmon didn't show up?
Even if you add up all the better-than-expected returns of coho, chinook, pinks and chums combined, it still will be one of the worst years on record.

This is grim. Why shoot the messenger? He laid out some pretty stark facts. Snivelling about reporting does nothing to solve the problem.

We need answers and we need them soon!

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

When was the last time nine million forecasted salmon didn't show up?
Even if you add up all the better-than-expected returns of coho, chinook, pinks and chums combined, it still will be one of the worst years on record.

This is grim. Why shoot the messenger? He laid out some pretty stark facts. Snivelling about reporting does nothing to solve the problem.

We need answers and we need them soon!

Definitely disagree with that big time...the COho returns as well as pink returns are off the chart!! I don't think you can say its the worst salmon year in history because one run doesn't show up....don't get me wrong, 8 million fish is a lot of fish...but nonetheless still disagree.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

The Fraser Sockeye run was not the only run to come in far below forecast. The Alberni Chinook run was well below forecast numbers, and will not even come close to required escapement. Most of the good fishing experienced off the west coast could be directly attributed to massive hatchery augmentation on the Columbia. Our local stocks are in trouble in most areas. Anyone who has fished in this province for more than 30-40 years has seen a steady decline in Salmon returns. Guys who have fished the longest have seen the most drastic changes. I think the trend is apparent, and articles like this are only pointing out the obvious.

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

The Fraser Sockeye run was not the only run to come in far below forecast. The Alberni Chinook run was well below forecast numbers, and will not even come close to required escapement. Most of the good fishing experienced off the west coast could be directly attributed to massive hatchery augmentation on the Columbia. Our local stocks are in trouble in most areas. Anyone who has fished in this province for more than 30-40 years has seen a steady decline in Salmon returns. Guys who have fished the longest have seen the most drastic changes. I think the trend is apparent, and articles like this are only pointing out the obvious.
X2
AS Cathy from Westview marine says... "It is all about the fish!" The fish we are talking about right now, are Canadian!

As we all know, as long as the US keeps the "massive hatchery augmentation", we will have a fishery off the WCVI; however, if things continue as they are... there won't be any BC fish left?

His last comment is very correct, "One thing seems clear. We need answers. We need them fast."

Cowichan River from what I understand has 500 or so Chinook so far?
That's depressing. When we met with DFO they said if it reached below I believe 900 that stock would be put on the SARA list.
Now they are saying it has to go below 500! What will it take? Next they will say 200 or some stupid thing.....I Think they (DFO) are more afraid of the political repercussions that would arise from the steps that would have to be taken in order to save these stocks..... They would rather see them go down hill first then fix it after the fact so they would not have do deal with the repercussion. (my opinion)

Look at Goldstream we have 2 pair of Chinook? CRAZY! I know Goldstream has never been predominantly a Chinook river but there has always been a small run of resident chinook. Chum is not looking that good this year as well with a forecast of 15-18 thousand return.

My 2 Cents.....

Don't get me wrong...there are serious issues with BC's wild salmon stocks...all i ask from anyone reporting in the media is accuracy, the entire picture and balance. Never get any of those...so the public never knows who to believe.

My opinion of the test fisheries is the same as smashing your eggs with a hammer to see how many will hatch.:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Back