World's Best Tasting Fish.....

Seafever

Has there ever been a poll on what the best tasting fish on the planet is (saltwater or fresh)?

If so what was it by consensus?

I used to think it was lingcod but now that's I've tried firelight's spicy tuna (yellow fin) sashimi it's in the lead for me.

Monkfish tastes like Lobster, pretty good but ugly as hell.
Tuna is great, have to be careful it's cooked rare.
I think a filet of an 8-10lb red winter on the BBQ wins for me.

Had true snapper, red and white ones fresh in Palau a few weeks ago. All we had was olive oil, absolutely no seasoning and I have to say it was the best fish i can ever remember. Just quickly pan fried and we ate them with cheap crackers

purple on the outside, red in the middle..mmmm winter spring

i like to eat promfrets; a few are caught when tuna fishing maybe birdnest or sculpin can get us some; i have a likeing for greycod fillets caught when halibut fishing; have to be fresh tho

Chilean sea bass have to be up there

locally my favorite is lingcod and halibut, but so far my favorite on the planet I caught in Aruba on a charter, then was prepared by a resturaunt affiliated the charter boat...my favorite is grouper, followed by a close 2nd, wahoo

Chilean sea bass, wahoo, swordfish,tuna sashimi,lingcod,kelp greenling, walleye all the above with double fried fench fries!!!!!!

Albacore tuna IMO for now. I can eat a half loin in one sitting with just soy sauce and wasabi!

I think I need to keep trying different ones. Mmmmm fish:p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saltwater, I have to say swordfish - but I think sockeye sashimi is a close second

Freshwater, my vote goes to walleye with yellow perch right behind it

Freshly caught halibut cooked on the boat the same day that I caught it would have to top my list. Columbia River spring kings is a close second - they're basically butter with scales. Albacore are pretty damn good also - either just barely seared and in fish tacos or smoked in a tuna sandwich. For freshwater - a brook trout caught in a high lake and then cooked for breakfast while camping is hard to beat. For me the whole experience of catching something and eating it on the same day close to where I caught it, really enhances the flavor. The fish taste great once I get them home but they always tast a little better on the boat, in the evening when I'm drinking with my buddies after a good day of fishing.

rainbow trout in tin foil with a bit of butter and Lucky thrown in the coals of a campfire burning next to the mountain stream the fish was swimming in 5 minutes ago...ahhh the ways I spent my free time during the pre-marriage/kid days....

Hahaha, the same excitement as our conversation last week. A fillet off a fresh 15 lb winter spring cooked on the BBQ skin on. I am drooling at my computer.

Yeah, let's get out there and get one!

pyramid of flavour

5th panfried breaded walleye
4th seared ahi
3rd grilled swordfish
2nd barbequed smiley belly
1st hot-smoked still warm steelhead
1st butter fried hali cheeks
2nd sockeye tail end
3rd mahi mahi taco
4th deepfried halibut
5th spicy albacore sushi roll