Working with Epoxy

chris73

Who of you has some experience with epoxy fibreglassing? What type of safety equipment do you use when working with epoxy? I am replacing my stringers and epoxy-glass them in again but was a little careless with my handling of the resin at first. Wondering how you protect yourself when working with epoxy?

LC, I can tell you one thing for sure: the hardener and uncured epoxy is like poison and a few drops on your skin and you can end up with something between a nasty rash on the low end of the scale or in hospital if you are more sensitive. I am not kidding. Fully cured epoxy is inert but it tkaes many days and in colder temps several weeks before it is fully cured. Good info in Dan's link. Wondering how toxic the fumes during the curing process are; what masks to wear etc. You must be confusing epoxy with something else LC, it does NOT clean up with water - acetone workes fine when still wet however if you get acetone with epoxy contamination on your skin you might as well peel your skin right off. Vinegar seems to dissolve uncured epoxy and when you rinse the tools after the vinegar soak with hot water it cleans up ok. That's my preferred methd now and a lot safer than with acetone. Somebody a better method?

I fabricated 100' yachts for many years. Epoxy was a mainstay in the industry. I can assure you that it is far from safe to work with on a daily basis. Inhalation of it's properties will sensitize even your lungs and respiratory problems will ensue. Contact with your skin will also result in allergic reactions once sensitized. Using Methyl hydrate for clean up is possible in low volumes but takes for ever to be of any real value. Acetone is the product most commonly used as it really dissolves epoxy residue rather immediately. USE NITRYL GLOVES!!!!! In the least Latex but watch for latex becoming an issue as well in terms of allergies. I used acetone for years as a kid. It was taught to me by my father. No big deal. Used to wash our hands, faces, hair whatever. This is a NO NO ! Acetone breaks down the components of the epoxy and allows it to penetrate your skin's pours. The chemicals will be fast tracked to your liver where it gets stored. Eventually your liver will sustain a great amount of damage and is irreversable.

I use a 3M gel respirator with a prefilter and 3M 6001 cartridge ( organic vapour )

Hope this helps

PS this may be a bit overkill for the guy using the Elmers two in one on a bi yearly basis I know . If anyone is doing some heavy duty work though, it is the same chemicals so be safe.

HL

I could not have said it better my self:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy

I've built some fishing rods using epoxy for the guides and grips. Denatured alcohol will easily clean it up before it cures.

Yhep, it will work, as will vinegar. I was simply talking about large amounts however. I used to work with hundreds of pounds of epoxies a day. Gallons of acetone etc.

On a small scale there is nothing wrong with the other forms of cleaners.

Back