Winters around Vancouver

Pangaea

I know that the conventional wisdom is to fish Tunstall / Hutt at this time of year, but I've been skunked there the last four times I've fished there. Is there a reason why there isn't more fishing done around the bell bouy at this time of year? It's supposed to be such a great day tomorrow, I think I'll give it a whack. I suppose if I find bait, I'll find fish... On the other hand I may just get suckered into the back side of Bowen one more time. :)

Big Jay?

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5961.msg53921#new

WINTER CHINOOKS

There is nothing is really new to report lately. Fishing has continued to be really consistent in the harbour for winter chinooks over the last couple weeks. The continued concentration of small herring in English Bay could be the reason for the good fishing. The usual spots like the QB marker, Jericho, West Vancouver, and up into Howe Sound are all producing fish! We have been hooking 4-8 fish a charter recently. The ratio of keepers to undersize is now close to 1 to 1. There has been some nice keepers around as well, some into the mid teens. There was a 24 pounder caught off Ambelside last weekend as well.

Productive depths have ranged from 80-140 feet on the downriggers. Coyote Spoons and anchovies have been our favourite lures behind flashers. We have been trying to follow the bottom contours quite closely to pick up the feeder chinook. We have also had some success on cut plug herring off the downriggers recently.

Crabbing has also been real good as well in the harbour. We are finding them in 40-80 feet of water in English Bay!

Call us to book a winter chinook charters! Ask us about our great winter rates!

Good Luck

Jeff/Jason
www.bonchovy.com

Dogbreath: Cheers for the link / report! I'll post results tomorrow night.

I went out last satrday of the pink apartments half mile trolling to the new yellow can they put out, lost on large fish to a seal got one undersize a two really good hits i missed cause I didnt check the the sharpness of my hooks, its the details that really make the difference, anyway all hits were on anchovy except one on the old tom mack, at 120 feet I am going again this saturday

Fished from the mile marker to the QB and then in front of West Van for a bit on Thursday. Couple of hits through the freighters at 100' on army truck hootchies, then nothing. Kicker started acting up so I called it an early day. Didn't see a lot of bait except a big school in the middle of the channel off Ambleside, which I hate fishing when alone, as there's nothing worse than losing a fish because you're avoiding a freighter. One other boat looked like it had a couple. Upon return, each crab trap had sixteen (!) per. Good prawn set too, so all was not lost.

I went out today fished the harbour used tom mack anchovy ,cut plug, purple haze ,and herring strip and got nothing wow ,I dont seem to havemuch luck on a consistent bassis

Back