Winterizing Boat Fuel Tanks

Whole in the Water

OK guys, here's a couple of questions for you to all chew on over Christmas.

1) What is the best way to leave your fuel tanks over the winter?
a) Topped up with fuel with fuel stabilizer mixed in, or
b) Fuel tanks empty (thus avoided any old gas)?

2) For Winter outboard storage (Carbs/Fuel Injectors) - Do you:
a) While running disconnect the gas and let then run out of gas, or
b) Run gas with stabilizer through them at least once a month?

Let me know what you think and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and many winter spriongs and steelhead to all!

Sharp hooks and full traps!

I know you are supposed to run it every month or so that way it doesnt sieze up. AT least i think thats what the guy said to do to our outboard also we put stabalizer in it.

I know you are supposed to run it every month or so that way it doesnt sieze up. AT least i think thats what the guy said to do to our outboard also we put stabalizer in it.

For both inboard and outboards fill them up full of gas with fuel stabilizer reason for this is to cut down on condinsation in your tank a half filled tank will condesate up very badly over winter the next step is to run your boat and spray "storage seal" into the throat of your carb what this product does is coats every thing down with a oil that wont go away till you burn it off it coats the carb,cylinder walls,piston and rings and protects your engine.
Also what i do with my inboard I take out the little brass nut that is under the manifold this drains the manifold and I leave it out all winter and where I usually store it i put a trouble light in the engine compartment with about a 60 watt bulb It just keeps the area a little bit warmer and cuts down on the moisture or you can buy one of those electric ones that are round in shape.
Good Luck Wolf

For both inboard and outboards fill them up full of gas with fuel stabilizer reason for this is to cut down on condinsation in your tank a half filled tank will condesate up very badly over winter the next step is to run your boat and spray "storage seal" into the throat of your carb what this product does is coats every thing down with a oil that wont go away till you burn it off it coats the carb,cylinder walls,piston and rings and protects your engine.
Also what i do with my inboard I take out the little brass nut that is under the manifold this drains the manifold and I leave it out all winter and where I usually store it i put a trouble light in the engine compartment with about a 60 watt bulb It just keeps the area a little bit warmer and cuts down on the moisture or you can buy one of those electric ones that are round in shape.
Good Luck Wolf

After stabalizing and fogging the outboards, I also take WD-40 and spray down the entire engine block, this also inhibits corrosion over the winter.

After stabalizing and fogging the outboards, I also take WD-40 and spray down the entire engine block, this also inhibits corrosion over the winter.

Wd-40 is water soluable the best thing is LPS-3 it coats every thing with a waxy film very good product I personally wouldnt used wd-40. good for loosing rusted bolts and cleaning stuff but sh*t for protecting sorry explorer185 it isnt a very good product LPS is way better ask any marine tech.
Good luck Wolf

Wd-40 is water soluable the best thing is LPS-3 it coats every thing with a waxy film very good product I personally wouldnt used wd-40. good for loosing rusted bolts and cleaning stuff but sh*t for protecting sorry explorer185 it isnt a very good product LPS is way better ask any marine tech.
Good luck Wolf

Hey WITW, I suggest burning the feul while fishing!!! Mike and I were out at Whirl yesterday and couldn't keep them off. A good mix of wild and hatch with take homes all around 10lbs.

Not to mention - delicioussss!!

Hey WITW, I suggest burning the feul while fishing!!! Mike and I were out at Whirl yesterday and couldn't keep them off. A good mix of wild and hatch with take homes all around 10lbs.

Not to mention - delicioussss!!

If you are interested in protecting your warranty, check your owner's manual. For my Mercury, it suggests filling the tank with stabalized fuel, then running carb dry.

If you are interested in protecting your warranty, check your owner's manual. For my Mercury, it suggests filling the tank with stabalized fuel, then running carb dry.

not exactly, you did not mention warranty protection, and you introduced the idea of an additional carb protector, check your warranty before doing anything, as manufacturs will do anything to get out of honoring their warranty obligations

Back