Winter Springs

scott craven

On one of the rare nights that family had all gone out leaving me alone for dinner :)
I had the opportunity to fillet and BBQ a nice little 7 lb spring for dinner.
on separate sheets of foil I placed the 2 fillets , salt and peppered
one with Hickory BBQ and the other with Mayo. (sounds pretty basic i know)
wrapped up , 15 minutes on the grill (with a 5 min rest) and the fish was melt in your mouth.
Best eating salmon I've tasted in a while.
No need to load up the flavors as they are just so good on their own.

Winter Spring is one of my favorite eats.

I like to roll mine around in a bowl of oyster sauce then onto the BBQ for a few minutes. Served up with wild rice.... Delish!! :).

On one of the rare nights that family had all gone out leaving me alone for dinner :)
wrapped up , 15 minutes on the grill (with a 5 min rest) and the fish was melt in your mouth.

that sounds great, those winters are the best eating, really want the subtle flavour to come through, nice going. I can't wait to get out there for them, got a little trip south first then out for winters.

poach em!

1/2" heavily buttered water to a low boil. add filets skin down (top of meat should be just out of the water). low boil for about 5 mins, or until the meat ontop is pink and firm to the touch.

put on a plate, lather generously in a lemon dill sauce (greek yogurt, lemon juice, dry dill - to taste)...

enjoy.

You can cook FRESH Salmon 10 different ways and I would still like it. Haven't had poached in a long time, will have to try it soon. A friend of mine would take the scraps from salmon fillets, mix it with lemon juice and soy sauce let it sit for a few minutes and enjoy!!! very good sushi. In fact last night turned out to be salmon dinner here too and the best part is making salmon sandwiches for lunch(which I just ate!!!). Steve.

I like to cook fresh winter springs whole since they are generally on the small side. I clean, gut, gill and remove the head and fins. Rinse with cold water, pat dry and cut 3-4 deep scores in one side of the fish. I then place a small amount of butter into each score. I then season the body cavity with a bit of salt and pepper then stuff it with fresh dill and lemon wedges.

Heat bbq to 500 degrees, wrap whole fish in tinfoil and toss on the grill for 8-10 minutes per inch. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.

mmmmmmm purple springs,,, i gotta go get....

Which one,the bbq or the mayo was melt in your mouth?

Back