Winter Reports Sooke and Victoria 2008/2009

Heading to Constance Sunday & Monday--- we're going to fish the west side--- any ideas on ideal depth out there?? are there coho out on the bank?? I've been very successful this year at Renfrew, but we're staying close to home this time--- thanks!

Derek Lucas

Sounds like Coho are hard to find on both sides of the line. Fished out of Port Angeles yesterday for 9 hours. The water was nice, the weather comfortable, marked fair amounts of bait, and some birds working at times, but after 30 miles of trolling we only had 12 shakers to the boat - about half and half Coho and Chinook.

Sekiu wasn't much better in September. Lots of shakers and very few keepers, even after we went non-selective in the middle of the month.

Sure hope they show up to the hatcheries this fall.

we went looking for ho's out in the straight out of sooke... lots of shakers, no keepers. even came back in tight to fish the head to secretary... more shakers!

I was out yesterday out in the Straight as well off Sooke, must have released about two dozen shakers. Was getting them at all depths from 30 feet to 160 feet. Way out far and also in close just off of Whirl Bay. Where are the larger coho???

Went out Sunday and thought I would try my luck at fishing for a winter spring. Was going to go to Whirl Bay and drop the gear into the mud but instead we went to Beechy Head. Dropped the gear down to 120 feet in about 300 feet of water ( I know, not how you winter fish but....) was trolling around the head and at about 9:30 am my rod started peeling line and wouldn't stop. Finally got him in the boat..... A big black spring.... late going up the river. I thought..... wow, look how black he is..... maybe I should let him go so he can spawn..... as nice as that sounded..... I kept him.... 21 and 1/2 pounds. Moved out to the tide lines after that, Lots of shakers but no other fish. The weather was beautiful all day and my buddy from up island got to take home some fish. All in all.... a great day!!!

I heard something real disturbing today. This guy in a coffee shop talking to his bud about catching a 3 lb. winter and tying it LIVE through its' gill plate,into his crab trap and catching 10 legal Dungees!!!ya,I know the limit is 4 ...
First I wanted to reach across and relieve him of his left ear.[}:)]
But after thinking he wasn't going to ruin my fav. coffee shop,it would be better to dig alittle deeper into who the fellow is and then.....
Any ideas?? Death is too good for this one.
Sorry to hyjack thread but didn't want to start a war making a new thread about something so sick.Hope that's ok?

MrTrailer yes death wont be satisfying enough. That is just sick. you should try to find his boat or crab traps maybe cut the lines to his traps for start. was this sooke?

I didn't hear him mention where. I was trying to evesdrop without getting caught and then ripping him a new you know what!
See the guy a couple of times a week,so maybe he'll "BRAG"...[xx(] to someone else or same guy again and reveil the spot.

Fished off the Tin Shack/Trailer Park yesterday from 730 am to 1 00 pm, lots of shakers and a few undersize. Fished the 130,140 ft line for winter springs with spoons and hootchies; tried out a bit deeper for a coho later in the day but nothing.

good fishing off clover pt this week lots between 5 / 10 lbs spoons ,hootchies,fish close to bottom,mid morn bite best ?

quote:Originally posted by sundance

good fishing off clover pt this week lots between 5 / 10 lbs spoons ,hootchies,fish close to bottom,mid morn bite best ?

Good to hear, i couldn't find them on Saturday fishing Clover..
was that yesterday or this past weekend ?

I am going to give it one more kick at the kitty for hali tomorrow before closing....any help would be appreciated....heading out to the Sooke Buffs after work tomorrow for a few hours. [8D]

I am going to give it one more kick at the kitty for hali tomorrow before closing....any help would be appreciated....heading out to the Sooke Buffs after work tomorrow for a few hours. [8D]

If I read the reg correctly the halibut closure takes place tonight at 00:01 a.m. so we can't fish for them on Friday. Does anyone read it differently?

If I read the reg correctly the halibut closure takes place tonight at 00:01 a.m. so we can't fish for them on Friday. Does anyone read it differently?

Back