Winter Lake Fishing

Jockey

I am just wondering how winter lake fishing is. Most of the little articles I read talk about great trout fishing from May through October with the summer heat being a bit slower.

Where do the fish go November through Feburary? Does the water get too cold for them? Or is there just not as much interest during the winter months?

Hi again Jockey,

There can be some good trout fishing in Victoria all winter long. The lakes don't get too cold, let alone freeze over. Nearly all lakes will produce fish, Elk, Prospect, Langford, Durrance and Thetis, among them. Most lakes south of Nanaimo seem to do ok in the winter too, such as Fuller and Quamichan. Elk and Langford have fishing piers, if you don't have a boat. Power eggs or worms in the bait category always produces, and flies such as leetches or wooley buggers in olive, black and/or burgandy can be even better.

We had very good luck fishing choronomids in the spring this year and I'm planning on trying that method a little earlier this year, maybe even fall. Try a black with silver rib or blood worm patterns.

Good luck and hope this helps.

I use stale coloured mini marshmellows and a worm on a 18" leader. Works like a charm and is even cheaper than the power bait. Try that. DG

Back