Winter Harbour Report

Just back from Winter harbour- some jumpers(few) at Mahatta--,cliffe and Kain essentially dead. Acres of coho directly off Lawn point in 200 ft of water. Any coyote from 90 ft to the surface worked. Springs were in 300 to 400 ft of water-225 to 250 on the wire. Nogs needle -bare, 3.5 custom glow green and white coyote. Large pearl glo wench hoochy with white double flash LED-nothing big-20 to 25 lbs but nice quality fish. Heavy duty radar and gps work required if you wanted to be out before 11 am. Not many boats!! Have to say if you don't find these fish there are a few off LIPPY but if you aren't getting strikes you better move because there is a lot of empty water!!!

Attachments

• DSC01366.jpg
    DSC01366.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,540
I saw you pulling out Spring Fever. Was going to say hi, but we really wanted to get fishing. (We were delayed because the power outage prevented us from getting gas the day before)

Massive amounts of Coho in Mahatta and they're starting to gather at the Marble as well. Should be a good year for them in Quatsino/Coal Harbour. We got only one 16 lb spring at Cliffe pt on Monday. Not a lot of people catching fish there. Tuesday was a write off as we had GPS issues. Wednesday we intended to do Mahatta & Kains but had too much fun with the Coho and spent all day at Mahatta. Double headers, some zinger chucking. It was a really fun day fishing until the wind started to build at 1:30.

My one thing we need to fix with our Quatsino trips is where we set our crab traps. I am convinced that someone is pulling them. In fact one of our traps we found floating half way out the bay. We aren't even setting them in Coal Harbour anymore, but around the point. Perhaps if we go back in the next week or two we'll have time to set some up Holberg way instead.

Lots of fun. Coyote Spoon & Kripple K green/silver were the two killers.

Last edited by a moderator:
HC Good to see you-we did get a double at Mahatta on the way out but we were limited-so a gentle release for both-more or less for this report. Hope you realize the GPS was not your set-we had the same outage for 4 hrs tues morning-Had to use my old pilot radar and compass techniques as we were in heavy fog at the time pretty far off-shore.

Has anyone been up here fishing lately? I'm heading up to Quatsino on September 19th and was wondering where the salmon may be at this time of year?

well conflicting reports so far today. one guy didn't go because he talked to people coming back from outside saying its slow. a charter guide I know from ukie is fishing on the inside and says lots of coho.

pros and cons of launching in coal hbr or Pt Alice. I've only been to Pt Alice-new dock,good launch,good truck storage, $60/yr pass,paved rd but hilly,about the same run to WH. I've heard you want a locked gas cap in coal hbr,FW tap for brake flush? launch a 26' in any tide?

CH definitely can not launch a 26fter in any tide....very very flat boat launch made for launching float planes actually. Need high tide for a boat that size.

I can barley get my 19ft aluminum back on in a negative tide at that launch. I've had to nose it on and pull it up with the strap a couple times.

SG, you can launch a big boat there but it needs to be a mid tide or higher. I have been launching my 27 Grady there all winter.

If you are launching a big boat, 21+ you want to do it at a mid tide and rising lower than that its not doable.

Check your tides and your good to go

SG, agree with BearCove, we launch and retrieve a 24 foot Bayliner and a 25 foot Silver Streak with no issues on a mid tide and higher.

I have found that anything below a 5ft tide is not doable with my old 27ft trophy. I also had a trailer that was built 3 ft longer than required .Made launching at CH much easier

Getting excited to head up this weekend to fish next week, hope the wind lays down. Will post a report and some pics after the chaos.

I won't be up there until mid next month, but I found this recent post from The Outpost at Winter Harbour:

WINTER HARBOUR/QUATSINO FISHING REPORT
Winter Harbour, British Columbia, CanadaMid Season action in JUNE
by Greg Vance | June 12, 2015, SPECIES RATING BEST TIDE BEST TIME OF DAY BEST DEPTHS(ft)
Chinook Salmon to 29 lbs GREAT Slack N/A 185 to 210
Coho Salmon to 12 lbs GOOD Slack N/A 185 to 210
Halibut to 68 lbs GOOD Slack N/A 200 to 235
Lingcod to 34 lbs GREAT Slack N/A 170 to 190

Not Targeted: Chum Salmon, Pink Salmon, Sockeye Salmon

Despite a fairly good sized commercial Troll opening in May, Chinook fishing from Top Knot to Solander continues to be absolutely fantastic. I haven't seen tag confirmation, but these look like the cookie-cutter 16-19 lb Columbia River fish that we have come to love ! I spoke to some guys yesterday who were trolling off LIppy Point in 200 ft of water, they told me they released 30+ Springs while trolling for Ling and Hali ! They kept there limit, all 25+ Virtually every other boat we talked to had limited Chinook and Coho, all decent sized fish. Doesn't get much better than that. We are all a little surprised how many Coho are around already this year... sets up really well for later in the season. J31 Needle fish, LGG11 ( Dr.J) Hoochies and Anchovie on UV Purple are very productive. Although at the moment it seems like they will bite your old kitchen sink if your trolling it.

Ling fishing continues to be exceptional, as many of the best humps and bumps haven't really been fished hard since last season. The Hali bite continues to be very consistent as well. Some really nice fish coming in from the flats and structure between Kwakiutl and Lawn points in 150-200 ft of water.

Heading up island early Saturday morning
Will be hitting east side (McNeill/Hardy) 1st
Then plan is to be off shore Lippy Pt on Monday & Tues all weather permitting
Finger's crossed

Back