Winter Harbour 2010

spring fever

may 13-16- Got up to cape scott afternoon of 13th-first morning weather was ok hali-lings were scarce-lots of yellow eye however we managed to do okay but the run up in tough conditions was not worth the extra gas. Off Kain island Sat- 300 ft of water limited on Springs (6) to 27 lbs in a morning-water was flat-lots of whales. Didn't try ground fish off Kains. Crab and prawns were good in the usual spots. No other boats-good first run.

good to here a report from up there , i ve fished there about ten times now but never run that far up , how long did it take ? i,m going in july and we were thinking of running up there .

Did you launch at Coal Harbour or tow in to WH? How deep were you catching the springs on the highway? Good on you for running up to Cape Scott. Have hiked there from Holberg late 50s but never boated there. Did you stop at Raft Cove on the way up or back? Wondering if there are still mooring bouys there?,..........BB

All depends on the water conditions-took me about 11/2 hours from Kains but the conditions were poor-due to the usual afternoon winds. I could only make 11-12kts safely. If you want to go I suggest you go early morning and fish up(watch for the Rca)-there are 4 fishing cans at Sea Otter cove for over night Make sure you have a good chart and sounder going into the cove. Tie to the cans-don't drop an anchor in their vicinity-there used to be 8 cans and I am not sure they didn't just cut them off leaving anchors and chain on the bottom. Be careful-even in summer there are very few other boats.

Guess this spiked interest. I launched at Coal Harbour-no I didn't stop at Raft cove -the weather was tough and it is in the Rca. The Springs off Kains-all except one were on the highway 4 on anchovy-krippled K green head at 180 ft of wire and 2 on #4 cop car coyote. An 18 was taken about 2 miles st out of kains on 150 wire. We had 2 double headers and due to an inexperienced crew/bad luck we only got the single in both cases. So they were there.

For BIG Hali, try the S/E corner of the Cape Scott RCA. Its about 240' with shale bottom.
Or go down towards Solander Island.
Look for some thing that looks like a Wrench and fish the bottom spur.
Lots of big Ling and nice Hali.

Cheers.

I'm heading up that way June 15. I personally havn"t fished that area, but a friend is coming up with me and he has fished there quite a few times. thanks for the tips I'll post how I make out, it will be the first big trip in my new boat.
2004 2525 Kingfisher

Halilogger.. Cohoe should be in. Fly rod and bucktails, or small Apexes should work well and be a lot of fun, on a centre rod while spring fishing. Looking forward to your report on your return.,.....BB

Might see you up there-I'm just watching the weather(all bad) and waiting to go- White and green Orca on channel 6-if the weather is good for 3 days I'm usually there-Spring Fever's the handle. Mike

Hello, first post of the year!

Was a LONG and successful season coaching but it is time for the chuck now:D

Taking a 3 boat crew to WH this weekend. Staying at Frosty's old float cabin.
SF - drop in for a brew.

I have heard that scallops are hot in Quatsino but the otters have cleaned the area near the open ocean completely.
We were going to dive for some appies - anyone have any tips where we could scrounge up 8 or so scallops? I am a shallow diver only and prefer to stay within 60' of air.

Will report when trip is done.

Smiley.

Oh Man I Cant Wait...........I've seen too many pictures and heard too many stories so I have my Winter Harbour Trip set for June 24th till the 28th!It will be my first time out there... and hope to share some stories and pictures with you guy when i get back!

Spilly Talker!

Hello.

Last weekend was the worst fishing I have ever seen out of WH.
Charters weren't doing really well either.
Sounder wasn't showing much bait or fish.
We fished hard all over the area, offshore and inshore, jigging and trolling.

Not much wildlife but lots of otters.

The group had a great time anyhow - getting away is the real goal.
It would have been nice to have some new lies to tell!

Come on sox!

Smiley.

Spring fever still look like your going to be there on the 18 of this month. hope the fishing is better than what smiley experienced.

We're going out there on the 24th, so i also agree, i hope it picks up and is more productive than what Smiley Experienced!!!anyways !!!

cheers

Went to WH 6-9 june-best weather ever-was able to fish all days and into the afternoon. That's the only good part-Put in 6 hrs on the highway-fished Lippy and the 200 contours with the commercials until the season closed at noon on the 8th-saw 1 fish taken by a commercial -I took 2 springs-9 and 12 pounds -lost 3 very small coho under 5 lbs-saw and heard of no other sports boat taking a spring in that period- tried harbour approaches-lawn point-fished for Hali's for 5 hours -various spots and only managed 5 lings-couple of yellow eye and an octopus which I estimate at 125 pounds which we could not get in the boat. Let him go or he let us go I'm not sure which. The crab were good although we had a trap lifted- prawns are holding up Okay considering commercials have been at it a month. Conservatively I got in 22 hrs on the big water-Ground fish are very worrisome-no Hali's and even bait robbers were scarce- salmon -could come in any day and in fact the commercials were averaging 20 -30 pieces a day up until a few days ago-. No sign of bait or birds so I figure they(salmon) moved on and hope that another week will bring in a fresh bunch. I was using anchovies totally one side and hootchies and coyotes other side. I have fished WH for 12 years and I am not too worried about the salmon -they should come-it's early but I have to say I have never seen Hali's and ground fish so slow. I'll give it a week or two and give it another go.

Back