Winter Freshwater Fishing

My favorite time to be on the lake in Nov-May. Lots of my bigger trout caught in the cold months. Change your stratagy completly. Troll dead slow they dont seem to want to work hard for there food! i somtimes just wind drift if there is a breeze!

-KK

My favorite time to be on the lake in Nov-May. Lots of my bigger trout caught in the cold months. Change your stratagy completly. Troll dead slow they dont seem to want to work hard for there food! i somtimes just wind drift if there is a breeze!

-KK

X2 on the wind drift. i found in winter purple wolly buggers to be quite effective... and with type 4 line, the wind barley pushing me, i manged to hook quite a few. definatley dont get the same numbers as i would in spring/fall... but a couple fish per outing is possible.

If there are big cutties where your fishing try a large maroon bunny leech in size 6 or 4. Hit some nice ones on that fly! Cutties love it!

-KK

Winter time can be some of the best fishing for cutties, most of the bigger fish (3-6lbs) I get in Nov-feb
the bigger lakes around here dont freeze so they feed on BIG leeches and some small scuds.
Black and dark blue leeches(2-4inches), also black and red micro leeches are my favourite #12-14
Usually fish shallower water 10ft and less near the reeds

I was out two weeks ago at Quennell Lake in Nanaimo and got 16 bass in the boat, my brother had 8 or 9. I hit Durrance Lake as well today and had no luck at all. I was fishing deeper for them and had no luck. I did have one bite but never hooked him.
Gonefishin were you in one of the boats ot there today or were you on shore. I was the guy in the red tin boat with lawn chair on deck. Nice day to be out fishing, just wish I got a few.

Thanks for the tips !
Will store the bass lures for now, been hittin Grass Lake/Sooke and Spectacle Lake/Malahat, for cutthroat but seems to be hit 'n miss.
Some days are on, some are not.
I usually stick with shore though even if there is a "boat" available :eek:

These cold winter months i think is the best time to target larger sized trout. you wont get the numbers in the winter but i think that you will tend to get the larger ones sitting close to bottom

Anyone have any recent reports on the Nanaimo lakes or on the surrounding lakes? With the nice weather forecasted for this weekend wanna make the most of it.

Anyone have any recent reports on the Nanaimo lakes or on the surrounding lakes? With the nice weather forecasted for this weekend wanna make the most of it.

Drove through there today and noticed some thin ice on the ones I saw, probably slower than hell ! ...I did Prospect & Elk on Tues, 8 hours no catches and that was with no ice !
They are there though but I'm seriously rethinking going fishing in temps under 10...

Back