Winter boat projects

Stay tuned. I am in the process of re-wiring my boat. Couldn't stand the rats nest I had and decided to do something about it. Pictures to follow.

Hey Terry,
I think 12 holders is a good number for tuna. 6 troll rods and 6 dead bait rods (or casting rods). Sorry about my original post:eek:. Is the plywood just temp? Was your pod an after market unit or factory? Just curious to the open bottom without floatation. What did you seal it with?

A floatation pod is the way to go for sure. I like the blue to match everything else.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to finish the project before a reply would make sense. Went out today for a test drive and to wash some new tuna lures.
12 IS a good number for holders, but 14 looked more balanced.

The pod was made by RYM Propellors in Richmond. It was left 'hollow' ( open bottom ) at my request when the boat was built. I had adjusted the motor height several times in the early years of fine tuning the boat setup. Now that I have not changed the height in some years, I closed up the bottom. A double bead of 291 Sikaflex between the alum flange and the uhmw plate was all I did. There are two 3/8 plastic pipe plugs that I will pull to check for leaks.

Since I had some blue left over from the table re-make, I did the roof racks and extra rod holders to match - Very happy with result! blue, cheap, weather proof, light weight, no rattles, removable, arch matches curve of roof... did I mention blue! ??

Also - very important addition... Tuna catch flag! ( also blue )

Attachments

• DSCN5010.jpg
    DSCN5010.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCN5011.jpg
    DSCN5011.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 487
  • DSCN5012.jpg
    DSCN5012.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 488
Yup Doug did a great job with my Etec gauge install and wiring as well. They are quite good at Lordship, my only complaint is getting a 30' boat into their yard lol

Yup Doug did a great job with my Etec gauge install and wiring as well. They are quite good at Lordship, my only complaint is getting a 30' boat into their yard lol
Wow! and I thought trying to stuff my 24 foot striper into their yard was tough. I can't imagine how they would find room for a 30 footer

tykkyt e blue question for you I looked at a 24 foot monaro my quandary was the fact that the boat I was looking at did not have self bailing decks. I do not like sending fish blood and salt water into the bilge to be pumped over board. Are you having an issue with this.

She looks great Terry! I really like all the rod holders and that cleaning table kicks butt. Nice job :cool:.

Last but not least a short video..........

Click on the pic for the video.

Cheers,
Sculpin
Ok bear with me here...... this is truly a necessary pun....... "Geeze I hate to have to criticize here Scully,...... but all that music sounds like it is coming from....... ok here it is...... A TIN CAN" HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok bear with me here...... this is truly a necessary pun....... "Geeze I hate to have to criticize here Scully,...... but all that music sounds like it is coming from....... ok here it is...... A TIN CAN" HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks man:). Yes, it's coming from an aluminum alloy hull that is 1/4" thick both bottom and sides. One that will last many generations with little more than a re-power once in awhile. Long after yours is sitting rotting in some yard or worse yet landfill :eek:. Hell, your great, great, grandchildren could be drinking beer out of part of her if she is ever recycled :cool: :D.

She might not be pretty and white and I might not have to wear Sperry Top siders or white tennis shoes in her, but she works for me ;).

Thanks man:). Yes, it's coming from an aluminum alloy hull that is 1/4" thick both bottom and sides. One that will last many generations with little more than a re-power once in awhile. Long after yours is sitting rotting in some yard or worse yet landfill :eek:. Hell, your great, great, grandchildren could be drinking beer out of part of her if she is ever recycled :cool: :D.

She might not be pretty and white and I might not have to wear Sperry Top siders or white tennis shoes in her, but she works for me ;).
(Spoken in the best New England Accent) Biff, Tad, Muffy, Just FABulous to see you, What say we toodle on down to the club and have a quick game of tenny before appies? Then maybe we can take the bimmer over to the yacht club and take daddy's boat ovah to tha islands for tha weekend..........

BTW, you'll never hear me 'dis' Tin boats for real. Worked a few of them and had a few of 'em. More durable, better on fuel, beat the snot out of em and they come back looking for more. ;-)

She looks good

Anyone familiar with Campbell River style tiller Boston Whaler wiring? I've had mine for 2.5 years and haven't touched the wiring yet. My boat has the light switch, bilge pump switch, ignition, tilt switch, cigarette charger(broken) and ff/gps all attached beside and around the wooden driver's seat base and wired straight to the main(not deep cycle) battery. There is an inline fuse for the ff because I added that. Not really sure what else is fused. At the moment I have my electric start kicker on a seperate (deep cycle)battery and a set of jumper cables for main engine emergency starts. Now I have yet to be mounted electric riggers and need a real radio rather than handheld. Probably should have a tach too. It might be the time to do everything properly with a house/starting battery and a battery switch +/or ACR.
The problem is where to mount everything neatly and out of the weather when there is no console. Or I could just add more stuff to the battery terminals and go fishing. If you respond, understand that I have tools, and time but very little technical electrical expertise. Wiring diagrams make my head spin.
I like the idea of the kicker and 2 batteries because I do go offshore on nice days. I don't think the April point lodge boats have those.
It's a simple boat; am I making it too complicated?

Spring boat projects update:

I spent the last several days wiring new to me downriggers; adapting some sealed plastic boxes to hold the DR plugs; building, finishing, and mounting some hardwood to mount the DR boxes and other things to; building and crimping cables; making and mounting a little panel for some homemade bus bars, some circuit protection and a battery switch; mounting the panel; wiring the 2 batteries, motors and switch; tracing existing wiring to find out how it all went together (it's all tucked together with some little circuit breakers and terminal strips inside a little wooden box under the driver's seat, and coated in grease and looks great considering it could be 30 years old); and removing an old transducer. Next up will be filling dozens of old screw holes, several of which did not have any filler or screws in them (bad for a whaler), adding a vhf and antenna and a new stern light, and tidying up and re-hanging/hanging the wiring in a neater fashion without making any new holes.
If you've read this far, you'll be happy to know I have bailed on my plans to buy some epoxy, matting, mold release, a vacuum system, o-rings, and stainless hinges for a state of the art toothpick holding system. I'll stick with putting them in my pocket and putting on my rain gear for now.

Spring boat projects update:

<stuff clipped>
If you've read this far, you'll be happy to know I have bailed on my plans to buy some epoxy, matting, mold release, a vacuum system, o-rings, and stainless hinges for a state of the art toothpick holding system. I'll stick with putting them in my pocket and putting on my rain gear for now.

Damn! From what I've read lately, there might be a market for those. Perhaps you want to reconsider. ;)

Built a new electrical panel with a Blue Seas Add A Battery Kit. Mounted the whole thing on a piece of StarBoard and will mount that in the Transom rear starboard side hatch. Had to move batteries and wash-down pump and a bunch of old wiring. Will connect all the boat wiring to the panel once panel installed. Should clean it up quite a bit .

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 270
Thanks. Just tired of the wiring mess back there. Also going to add clear LED strip lights on the underside above transom hatch doors for light and blue LED strip lights underside gunnels and above back cabin door for deck lighting. The blue ones will be remote controlled on a key chain so I can turn the lights on as I come down dock to the boat in the morning. Also mounted clear strip lights on the back side of the shelfs in the cuddy to give some more light in that dark hole. Bought 2 5M rolls of LED's(1 clear, 1 blue)and remote(2 remotes, 1 for the truck and 1 for the boat) for less then $80 off ebay.

Back