Winter boat projects

JAC

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has winter projects on the go and would like to share them. The amount of great idea, pics and tip you get from forums is very helpful.

I have been working on a cooler mount for the stern of my c dory. I also have now completed the tackle/filet table in the cooler lid. I used the scotty marine well nuts to mount the table top to the cooler lid. I made both the cooler mount and table out of king starboard. The igloo yukon coolers have feet bolted to the bottom of them so I bought larger stainless bolts and bolted the cooler to the mount. The cooler has places to lock the lid so if you have your cooler full of beer it's now locked and bolted to the boat. Also don't have to worry about the cooler going missing on the ferry.

9a7392274f381a505449720eadd881d1.jpg

884166a6107bdf48f11ac1f85402ac7b.jpg

e72ead641a457466efc5504db9307d0c.jpg

f4458c4641be9fb6e5442ac37816a372.jpg

u7u4yqy6.jpg
y5age9a4.jpg
e5age9a4.jpg

Will post more after upholstery and install,, good-bye sink and cabinets, hello more seating and storage!!

Last year, I made tuna soup in the cockpit once too often ( Not that I don't love catchin Tunas! ) So for the last trip of the year, I mocked up a 'toss box' so gaffed tuna could be quickly thrown in and had a place to chicken dance before going into the bleed bucket.

pic is the proto type - I haven't taken a pic of the permanent model yet. It's going to be a combo fish table and toss box once it's done ( plywood and pvc legs gotta go! )

Attachments

• Toss box.jpg.jpg
    Toss box.jpg.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,721
My project is to clean up some of the electrical stuff on my boat. I'm going to replace the Guest 1,2, Both, Off switch with a Blue Seas ACR and switch.
Had an interesting twist today in that I have three fairly heavy gauge wires coming off the Guest switch that appear to lead to the fuse panel under my dash. These wires each are protected with 20 amp fuses next to the Guest switch. The fuse panel under the dash serves the various switches on the dash - e.g. horn, bilge pump, wipers etc. I removed all three fuses to find out what they were protecting only to find that all of the electrical systems on the boat appear to still be working - including the ignition. I'm missing something somewhere...

Last year, I made tuna soup in the cockpit once too often ( Not that I don't love catchin Tunas! ) So for the last trip of the year, I mocked up a 'toss box' so gaffed tuna could be quickly thrown in and had a place to chicken dance before going into the bleed bucket.

pic is the proto type - I haven't taken a pic of the permanent model yet. It's going to be a combo fish table and toss box once it's done ( plywood and pvc legs gotta go! )

Got a good idea for a small project from your picture. My boat has a custom sloping canvas which extends like a wedge down to the transom and snaps in place all the way around to keep the completely open part of the cockpit covered when the boat is not in use. It can also be partially unsnapped so that it hangs down and looks like your back drop to enclose the front section of the cockpit only. That would be much warmer in cold weather but I have never used it as such as we could not see all the rods or astern.

After seeing yours it should not be difficult to have flexible windows added to allow its use it while fishing and stay warmer. It can also be removed completely or rolled up and held in place tucked under the radar arch and rocket launchers (slang for fishing rod storage holders - Don't want the Feds key word security monitoring software prompting them to waste a our tax dollars checking it out, although I suspect they are more interested in citizens emails and private messages than something posted on a public forum, but you never know).

Thanks for the pictures and the inspiration for the windows idea. Nice looking boat you have there by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really sweet lookin rig you got going there tykkyt!

Coolers and fish cleaning stations are really cool. Looks good guys. I can see what your trying to do now Trophy. I wouldn't expect anything but blue on Terry's boat lol. Can't wait to see the finished projects.

I have a few that I am going to be starting shortly. Mostly electronics and electrical (you never seem to be able to do enough or keep up with it). I am like BigB and wanting to redo my entire behind the dash mess. More bus bars and proper labeling of all the wires like I have in the back.

Here is my new cutting board. Built it to be portable so it's out of the way when not in use. It basically wedges under the rail in the corner. I put a drain in the back corner and just need to find some hosing to help the guts clear the boat.
2y7u5epu.jpg
yryde7u4.jpg
uputybem.jpg
pazamupe.jpg

Nice. I like the storage of it as well when not in use. Very cool.

Well I decided to whip up a rod holder that will fit on top of my 20 ft double eagle over the christmas break while I had access to a shop at my grandfathers. Basically I bought 7 ft of flat stainless steel and 6'8 of stainless tube for 40 bucks and asked my cousin to weld it up. I think it turned out pretty good considering the cost of one of these from a store. It took us about 3 hours to design and build it. Here are a few pictures, I haven't got around to installing it yet as Im thinking I need a stretch of warm weather for the sealant around the bolts to cure properly.photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Very nice, may I suggest you maybe find some rubber hose to line them with so the rods and reels don't get marked and chipped
very nice job should look pretty cool too

I have built launchers in the past I fitted the aluminum pipe with a PVC liner. I did this before I cut the aluminum pipe and then the PVC was an exact match. I then sanded around edges of PVC liners worked pretty well cheap and easy

Ya I have some U-shaped plastic that I got at an auto parts store... I think it was for window framing or door framing or something ... should look similar to the liners on retail versions of rocket launchers...I'll post some pics of it installed, might do it tonight.

Anyone have any suggestions for installation ?

Im apprehensive to drill through the hard top. I have some 4.5 inch aluminum circles cut up for the underside of the hardtop as well as some rubber pads for under the rocket launcher. Then I have some below the waterline adhesive sealant I was going to apply around and on the bolts going through the hardtop.

How much head room do you have in your boat? On my fishrite boat I used nice button head bolts and put the nuts on the top side. If you ever had someone head hit a bolt it would hurt! You could also look at using the scotty marine well nuts if your roof is really thick then you don't need hole all the way through? Just a though I have never try it that way before

Ya i dont think the roof is thick enough for that, it seems like the headliner in my double eagle is just glued to the fiberglass (ie. there is no wood in the roof ) at least thats what I thought from my initial inspection - so probably not thick enough to screw in.

Button head bolts are a good idea and its probably a good idea to have it as flush as it can be on the underside of the roof, I am 6'3 and I can step into the cabin with just bending my head abit. After i step down into the cabin I can stand up fully, but that isnt where the bolts would be... it will be where I step in so shouldnt be a major issue, but might as well be flush if possible ... thanks for the idea

Those are nice - wish I had known about those sooner ! I've used this stuff I got from lordco - should accomplish the same job, but those caps would have looked nicer photo.jpg

Back