Wild Salmon Rallies This Week!!

Weff

Hey everyone, I just received an email from FOC ( Friends of Clayoquot). I am on their newsletter list and volunteer list. The rallies mentioned in the other cities and towns (excluding Tofino) don't have the locations. I just phoned FOC to get that information. I talked to the Office Manager who doesn't have the info but he's hoping to find it and get back to me on it. I guess we could search it out via Google, there's gotta be something out there. I would have to think it would be at the local DFO offices. Here's the email:

Calling wild salmon people…
Let's stand together for wild salmon!

What: Wild Salmon Rally
When: Tuesday December 13 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Where: Tofino, outside the DFO office on the corner of First Street and Campbell Street.

After decimating farmed salmon stocks in Chile, it appears that Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) virus has found its way to BC waters. Eight wild salmon have tested positive. The Cohen Inquiry is re-opening next week for three extra days of hearings on the impacts of ISA virus in BC.

Here in Clayoquot Sound, the Plover Point salmon feedlot on the shores of Meares Island is now going though the approval process.

Wild salmon people all over BC will be organizing a week of action starting Tuesday the 13th.

It is time for us to step up and demand that DFO deal with the ISA virus crisis and not approve Plover Point before Justice Cohen has tabled his recommendations next June.

Please join us in Tofino for a peaceful rally outside the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO). Wear bright colours and bring salmon-themed signs or costumes!

Or join an action or rally near you. Lillooet, Nanaimo Dec. 13; Victoria Dec. 14; Chilliwack Dec. 15; Vancouver Dec. 15, 16 and 19.

Oh my God........ that's hilarious!!

There isn't even anyone in that office except for a secretary in the mornings 4 days a week.

The real locals will laugh and throw stuff at those protesters.

Good thing i won't be in town

Don't laugh at the power of protests, look what it has down for places like Poland, Libya, Yemen, and Egypt to name a few. All Govt's need to be reminded that ultimately the power always resides with the people. The people just need to get off their butts, organize and act to use this power.

Oh my God........ that's hilarious!!

There isn't even anyone in that office except for a secretary in the mornings 4 days a week.

The real locals will laugh and throw stuff at those protesters.

Good thing i won't be in town

Doesn't really matter where the rally is, what street it's on ...... I can however see your point about locals throwing stuff at protesters, this would be a very contentious issue in Tofino. There are alot of fish farms in the area and a processing plant, between them they employ alot of people relative to the size of the surrounding communities both Tofino and First Nations. For that matter Ukee too, I used to fish alot at Grice Bay, where everyone jumps on boats. I think that some of those crews came from Ukee, didn't know anyone personally though. But I really don't think that putting in more open pen fish farms in Clayoquot is a good idea.

Your thoughts on more fish farms in Clayoquot FishTofino? Just interested in what you think about it. I used to live in Ukee and am going back in March/April, I know people in Tofino that work at the fish farms.

The only update I have for addresses is the following, I'm still assuming any protest will be at a local DFO office

DFO Paciifc Biological Station:
3225 Stephenson Point Road
Nanaimo, BC V9T 1K3
250-756-7270

Back