Wild Coho Relase

searun

Well, I for one would like to see a change in the current regulations. Currently we are required to release unmarked coho, and are allowed to retain 2 marked hatchery coho. As many folks know, DFO does not mark all hatchery produced coho. Worse, a lot of rec anglers will "catch & release" the wild coho until they get their 2 hatchery fish. Meanwhile how many go to the bottom! Current science suggests that hooking mortality is as high as 18.5% - try this link for further info - http://spo.nmfs.noaa.gov/mfr512/mfr5123.pdf

I
f that is in fact the case, clearly it would make more sense to simply change the regulations to 2 coho (hatchery or marked). In this way we would actually likely see fewer fish mortality from either harvest or otherwise. We could encourage anglers to get your fish, and change up your gear so you do not target coho. That would be a more effective conservation measure than the current regulation which actually works against conservation by encouraging anglers to practice "catch & release" at an 18.5% hook mortality until they get their fish.

If you need more convincing, consider this. If you typically catch 10 wild coho for every 1 hatchery (talking average trips), that means you hook 22 fish before you catch your 2 marked hatchery fish. At 18.5% mortality on the released coho that means 3.7 coho go to the bottom to feed the hali's. That simply does not make sense to me. Better to get your 2 coho and get off the water. Period, the end.

Time for a change.

hear hear

and or why not clip more coho. We had great volunteers I bet we could double at least we clipped this year at jack brooks.

Well when I see guys netting every little coho they get, and then throw them back after they get the treble hook out, and leave most of their scales are on the floor of the boat, no wonder they die! I agree tho make it 2 of any , maybe less would die......This is what happens to the 18.5% that live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuseR1aYsDc

Well, that hurt. A lot. That said, they are catching the 81.5% that lived. So there is another way to look at hook morts...but I still think the current system is a tragic waste.

I completely agree with your take on the coho... On a similar note, how do you feel about slot fishing regs on springs?? they are getting netted and measured... I guess there's no other way around certain conservation measures but they must have a high mort rate as well.

Not a fan of the slot limit for that reason. Its easy with Hali - you simply lift them over the side and quickly measure them. Chinook are a little different. Lots of guys are not going to risk gently lifting a fish to measure it, rather they will use a net, measure and release. I do have a release net on my boat for that exact reason, but I still don't like using it. Would rather not see that regulation to be honest. I think with the current regulations where we have reduced the catch from 4 chinook a day to 2 is sustainable and there is no need for a slot limit. This was ill conceived by fisheries managers who do not really understand what actually happens on most recreational boats when it comes to releasing fish. Nice idea, but not really practical with the average Joe angler and their experience/expertise releasing fish.

I completely agree with your take on the coho... On a similar note, how do you feel about slot fishing regs on springs?? they are getting netted and measured... I guess there's no other way around certain conservation measures but they must have a high mort rate as well.
I would think springs r a tougher fish, however its easy to tell when u got a teener and there is no need to bring it in the boat...the slot size is like 6-8lbs...my think on the slot size regs, it should apply to all the westcoast, not just victoria fisherman..the early fraser run is screwed already, nothing will bring it back unless we get hatcherys on the fraser. I dont like the "slot size", but have to follow the rules, isnt it funny when u go to the grocery store, u cant find spring salmon! How does DFO say its gonna be a poor return on springs this year, and open it up early cus the returns were better than expected? They have no idea on whats really going on! I guess its the fisherman between sherringham and cadboro pt that should pay for the low fraser returns!.....

For what it's worth, I think they are out-to-lunch on the 18.5% estimate. My money is on closer to 40% morts!

I was under the impression that - if it bleeds, it dies.

Maybe a fish-pathologist could chime in here?

I don't have any experience with salt water bleeders, but did catch steelhead brood stock for 11 years. We caught fish that were bleeders and no adverse affects in most of them. Key was to cut the leader. Hook would fall out, usually in the tube we used to transport them to the hatchery truck. Other way to look at this is how many fish have you caught with large slashes on them from seals that have healed up just fine. That NOAA paper is pretty much in line with what I recall from the DFO sponsored catch and release mortality study - think that was in early 1990's - just can't find the paper. Bottom line is I would prefer to see guys get their 2 coho and go.

I don't have any experience with salt water bleeders, but did catch steelhead brood stock for 11 years. We caught fish that were bleeders and no adverse affects in most of them. Key was to cut the leader. Hook would fall out, usually in the tube we used to transport them to the hatchery truck. Other way to look at this is how many fish have you caught with large slashes on them from seals that have healed up just fine. That NOAA paper is pretty much in line with what I recall from the DFO sponsored catch and release mortality study - think that was in early 1990's - just can't find the paper. Bottom line is I would prefer to see guys get their 2 coho and go.

I believe that was the one Tom Bird was doing up at langara lodge.. I could see about digging it up... :)

I agree with Little Hawk im sure the mortality rate would be at least 40%.Stupidest law theyve ever come up with.Thank the lawyers for the Nicola Band for that.

I caught coho this year that had a healed over scar where there eye should be. Feisty fish and they had no issues tracking down a spoon behind flasher at a couple knots. I imagine it's different when they receive damage to gills or other organs. Either way, would be nice to take the risk out and just make it 2 fish, hatchery or wild...... We all know that the majority of hatchery coho are released unclipped so.....

Back