Where to find Cutthroat in Cowichan Lake

Just to finish highlight's lecture off, the limestone raises the ph in otherwise more acidic waters on VI and this higher ph allows for more abundant aquatic life in form of insects, crustacean etc. One of the reasons why interior lakes are so much more productive than VI lakes.

Exactly. Nutrient levels on 99% of the islands waters are extremely low. This is the reason that we have very few lakes that provide for much more than pan sized fish. The interior lakes in comparison to our Island lakes are full of soupy matter which promotes mega growth in terms of fish and overall size of those fish.

The site is working again.... yea!!! Leaving for Cowichan on Thursday and will be staying close to the south end of the lake. Plan to fish the areas mentioned and will be using plugs mostly. Might try a worm and some gulp power bait too. Don't care if its raining but hope it won't be windy. There is a nice wind storm happening right now but it should be gone by the weekend. Got enough bbq steaks and ribs, chicken wings and kabobs, scallops and bacon, smoke salmon, Bailey's for the coffee..... ice cold beer and a prime time to wash it all down..... did I forget anything???

Yeah whats a "marl ledge" , I have fished the this area for many years and assume that must be a geological term ???

AL

Here yah go:

Marl or marlstone is a calcium carbonate or lime-rich mud or mudstone which contains variable amounts of clays and aragonite. Marl was originally an old term loosely applied to a variety of materials, most of which occur as loose, earthy deposits consisting chiefly of an intimate mixture of clay and calcium carbonate, formed under freshwater conditions; specifically an earthy substance containing 35-65% clay and 65-35% carbonate.[1] The term is today often used to describe indurated marine deposits and lacustrine (lake) sediments which more accurately should be named marlstone. Marlstone is an indurated rock of about the same composition as marl, more correctly called an earthy or impure argillaceous limestone. It has a blocky subconchoidal fracture, and is less fissile than shale

So.........:

I definitely have my favourites that are consistent producers, however those are proprietary. LOLOL

Put on a pair of grey polarized sunglasses ( on a bright day ) and look for whitish looking banks tapering off into the dark emerald depths of the lake. You will see these shoals in areas that are not neccesarily at the base of rocky outcroppings or steep cliff like areas. Drop offs along the shorelines and at river mouths are fine but marl banks are the ticket for consistently catching fish in these types of lakes. Fish at the depth where the white clay blends with the emeral green water. These areas are fish magnets!

I caught this lunker cuttie on Nov 13, it is my personal biggest and the second biggest in my boat. 62cm and about 7lbs! 4" tomic - no weight. As for where anylize the photo.
005-1.jpg

LOLOLOL, good for you! That is a very consistent spot. It is always in my loop. There is some great under water structure that just attracts those big cutties. I have also taken very nice dollies in the same area. Hope he went back in the water :)

With the winds forcast to blow up on the chuck yesterday, I desided to head down to Cowichan Lake for the day. We got a late start and launched shortly after noon. Flat lining plugs, we tried Bald Mountain, and Goat Island. There was a lot of floating debry. A couple light hits was about all we got. We reversed course and ran them deeper off downriggers. Again same result.
Ran down to the beachy stretch west of Youbou Bay and recommenced flatlining. About 3:45 we had our first solid hookup. A nice Cutty just barely under the 50 cm legal. Encouraged we kept going and hooked into a couple more. I figured it was going to get active soon, but it was getting dark and it was my night to cook dinner for the family. I desided to to what any responsable family man would do in this situation. I called the pizza place gave them the home address, my credit card number, flicked on the lights and kept trolling.
By 4:45 it was quite dark and we were inside Youbou Bay , but the action was non stop. We averaged a hookup every 5-10 minutes cuttys were 10-18 inch range continually running the same in tight circuit. By 5:30 it slowed down a bit, and we called it a day. The fish were still hitting though. We took home our 4 limit and know a nice elderly lady who loves her fried trout will be happy. Makes me think I might want to plan a night trip sometime soon!

Nice troots SC

Yeah two of the fish still had lampreys on them when we landed them, ugly mofo's. Caught them shallow and tight I dont use weights or downriggers, 4" tomics pulled pins with a 3/0 hook.

Nice fish Smokercraft! You should put it up on the Best Fish thread on this site as well. I'm sure a lot of guys wouldn't mind seeing it, and it's nice to see something with size other than Salmon and Hali. Good Job!

I do not have a rainbow plug in my box, but I know some guys that have success with them. I think that any colour will work if the action of the plug is good. Not all plugs are created equal, you can fish two plugs of the same colour at the same time and one will outfish the other. You want the most inconsistant and eratic rod tip action possible when fishing bare plugs, if the rod tip isn't twitching it goes back in the box. Sometimes colour is critical, changing plugs till you find what is working that day. #712(I call Skunky) has been by far my most effective plug this season it is black with a white stripe down the back and belly and is responsible for the last four oversize trout pics I have posted. Other go to colours are #608, 900, 741, 256ii. I hope that helps get you into some of those big cutties.

Back