WHERE IS DFO WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

H

HOOTEY

Since I have returned to the Island and has resumed fishing... when I dont know what is up with a particular fishery I ask ,get the rules and follow them, since reading these forums its pretty appearant that the DFO are needed on the rivers,streams,docks and ocean to regulate the IDIOTS that for some reason want to ruin what ever sport fishing there is. Face it the sport fishing isnt the problem its the RULE STRETCHERS AND BREAKERS who ruin it for all of us trying to get out and enjoy FISHING for the Sport of it all,,,,,so why not get the DFO staff out where they belong ,TICKETING AND FINEING THE --I D I O T S !!!!,,,if your fishing right then you dont have to worry,,,,Correct! [^]:D

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

My $0.02...

Close the rivers and let the fish get it on in peace.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Why don't we have two tierd health care as well? As you feel salmon fishing is only for those who can afford a boat, I suppose the people who cannot are out of luck? If the river can support a fishey (generaly hatchery surplus), a terminal fishery is a better way to manage stocks. You can do a snorkel survey & know exactly what's there. In the chuck, we're fishing mixed stocks and have no clue if we're catching the last Thompson coho or Cultus sockeye.

I agree with you H-core. Not everyone is in a financial position to afford a boat. I'm surprised LastChance posted that!

And my $0.02...

quote:My $0.02...

I have to agree with LastChance on this one. One does not have to own a boat to go Salmon fishing. Theres a lot of shore casters only out there who manage to catch their share of the fish. As well there are a lot of charter boats for hire if one needs to get their fishing fix. The river fish have won the great battle of life and made it back to spawn.... then when they're home we allow them to be fished as a captive species and snagged to boot!!! I don't call that sport and the poor fish is already falling apart. Do you really want to put that on your dinner plate??? So, yea...... I agree with LastChance on this one .... Let them spawn and die in peace.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Thats a little loaded there saying that once they hit a river it is time to leave them alone. What about fishing them in front of harbour mouths or fishing them along there migrating route in the ocean? Your talking like somebody who has not fished the river much. BC is great for fishing in the lakes ocean and river. If you say leave them alone to do there thing when the hit the river that you should just plain leave them alone.
quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

And my $0.02...

quote:My $0.02...

I have to agree with LastChance on this one. One does not have to own a boat to go Salmon fishing. Theres a lot of shore casters only out there who manage to catch their share of the fish. As well there are a lot of charter boats for hire if one needs to get their fishing fix. The river fish have won the great battle of life and made it back to spawn.... then when they're home we allow them to be fished as a captive species and snagged to boot!!! I don't call that sport and the poor fish is already falling apart. Do you really want to put that on your dinner plate??? So, yea...... I agree with LastChance on this one .... Let them spawn and die in peace.

Hmmmmmm, thats a tricky one.I am an angler that fishes year round. All stages of the salmonid's life cycle is apparent to me and therefore I target them where ever they may be at that particular time. It isn't what I neccesarily have invested financially that drives me to a particular fishery. I have (like others ) easily over a hundred thousand dollars into my saltwater gear but it's the magic I experienced as a child that makes the river so dear to me. As I grow older however, I am leaning towards leaving the salmon alone once they hit fresh water. I fish primarily for steelhead and resident trout in the river anyway so not all is lost with that fishery. Salmon is sketchy at best once in the river. The window is so small for bright fish.They are not known to be particularily good sport. They do not bite consistently enough after this small window because their digestive tracts actually atrophe in attempts to provide the fish with enough energy to spawn. They do become sitting ducks. I would hope that a truly defined angler would know when to leave well enough alone and give way to a spawning fish.

With that in mind guys, there is more of a chance that a fish will survive a battle done in fresh water. It has been proven that they will not fight to the point of exhaustion as they would in salt. They are also easily defined in the sense that the stock one is fishing is obvious. In the ocean it's not so clear as to which stock we are really affecting.

All valid points............hmmmm. Tough one considering there are uneducated people calling themselves anglers in each genre of fishing. There is potential damage done at every stage of the salmons' life cycle and the pressure we inflict upon them as anglers. Pointing the finger at any one fishery is not going to do much good.

HL

I wouldn't want the rivers closed to all salmon fishing,because bright chrome fighting salmon that are willing to take lures aggressively are jus as fun as one popping your downrigger line.
The Fisheries Officers are out and about,just can't be everywhere at once.
I was checked on Saturday at a hole on my river,and all he did was take my picture,then we said our hellos and chit chatted.
I had my lightwieght rod and my 10.5 med-hvy rod which happened to have a large zinger on it mounted with a barbless treble hook.I forgot to take it off when I was saltwater shorecasting.
Being native,it wasn't an issue and I didn't need a licsense,although I always get both tidal and none every year.
Honest anglers need to know the DFO number and call them if they feel they see something they don't like.
I've seen anglers that seriously don't know all the regs and don't know or feel they are not abiding.
I'm not one to freak out and call,I'd rather meet this person and bs and maybe gradually tell him the laws in subtle ways.
I dunno,maybe we're all fighting for something that is doomed anyways.[V]

Sea Ranger I have had some wonderful sport in rivers. Bright silver chum still with sea lice on them. And please don't tell me they don't fight and are falling apart. I have no vested interest here and I don't run, or can afford to go on some fancy fishing charter.

Last Chance, what reaction did you expect if you suggest closing all rivers for fishing. This is a Freshwater Fishing Forum!!! However, I fully expect this will happen anyway within the next 10 years as our wild salmon slowly but surely decline to such levels that extinction is a real possibility, due to DFO gross mismanagement, commercial overfishing and fish farms. Sad but a true reality. Man's greed and the mighty dollar says it all...

Ya,unmighty dollars like from running fishing charters.Totally biased reply/opinion.
I do agree the fish have made it to their final home run,but I think for some,there is still some sport fishing salmon in rivers.
Would we jus love to know where the big runs are exactly when in the ocean,like ocean trollers don't run to where the fish are biting.Well,now I got them narrowed down to a river.I'm gonna try new tactcs to get that fresh fish to bite,then maybe release him,that decision usually runs 80/20 for a release.
Again unfortunately ,not everyone knows when to draw the line.
Good thing there's fishing forums for us to make lovers or haters of ourselves or be hated or loved for our opinion.[:0]

I don't want to hijack the thread as it is more directed towards rule stretchers a breakers and if everyone kept to the rules the river fishery would be much better off. I think I'm more against the rule breakers then the actual river fishing itself.
yo mama is right, I haven't experianced a lot of river fishing and if I gave it a try I bet I would enjoy it a lot. However, we can't all take advantage of river fishing now can we, so I guess I'll stay as one who doesn't river fish.... this is only my opinion has nothing to do with trying to persuade other people to stop river fishing. As long as its legal.... fill your boots... or net. Steve.

I don't want to hijack the thread as it is more directed towards rule stretchers a breakers and if everyone kept to the rules the river fishery would be much better off. I think I'm more against the rule breakers then the actual river fishing itself.
yo mama is right, I haven't experianced a lot of river fishing and if I gave it a try I bet I would enjoy it a lot. However, we can't all take advantage of river fishing now can we, so I guess I'll stay as one who doesn't river fish.... this is only my opinion has nothing to do with trying to persuade other people to stop river fishing. As long as its legal.... fill your boots... or net. Steve.

You guys are all Correct but the thread is----WHERE ARE THE DFO-----it thouroughly pissed me off to see guys snagging black salmon on the Nitnat River because if the fish doesnt bite then leave it alone!!! THIS IS WHY THE D F O SHOULB BE ON THESE great salmon river to make damn sure they stay GREAT!!!!

It's all about funding, manpower and Federal Government Cuts. Are you aware that a huge portion of the total DFO budget is spent in Ottawa on administration and red tape. And don't think a change of government will make any difference. These civil servants are there for good in their ivory towers whichever government is in power. Until that changes, nothing will ever change.

Nitinat is a hatchery clone river. This is the only reason it gets a good run of chinook, coho and chum. Ever notice the water goes up and down like a yoyo? Its fed by mostly run off feeder creeks that burst there banks in high water thus resulting in poor natural spawning conditions on the main flow. The Hatchery always get there annual egg take thus resulting in good returns every year. If your looking for DFO to show up and police the rivers you'll be waiting and awfully long time. They have absolutly nothing to do with rivers or lakes, that job falls under MOE. The Ministry is alot more concerned about policing the endangered wild run creeks and flows than policing a put and take fishery on the Nitinat. Is it right? Probably not, but I believe there manpower is better served looking after the FEW good WILD fisheries left on VI. Let the Newbs have the NITTY, keeps them off my flows;)

Pass the Pack

Gallows has it right... The resources these guys have has been cut. How many places can they reasonably be expected to be at one time? Work the river-- then someone complains ( and justifiably so) that there is no enforcement on the salt. Or where is the fish cop when some farmer is running his John Deere through a coho stream? Probably still doing the massive amount or paperwork from his last bust so that federal Justice Dept can decide if a courtcase is something it wants to proceed with.

Only thing I can suggest is to ask for a meeting with one of the area fishcops and try to have him understand your particular frustration.... but keep in mind, while he is talking to you, he isnt out looking for bad guys--- Catch 22.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back