Where do we begin

RODNREEL

August 12/1928 was the day my father was born. He was a strong hard working man that fought for what he believed in. Growing up in the dirty thirties hunting and fishing were more about survival than sport. Later on in his life hunting and fishing became all about the outdoors and enjoying the experience. He netted my first salmon and helped me clean my first deer. I will never forget our last talks and I would like to share one of them. Two days before he past away he said to me that he had seen the best of hunting and the best of fishing and it will never be the same. As sad as some of his last thoughts were at this point in my life I have to agree. As I read the thread Alaska shutting down their Chinook fishery I was disappointed in all the finger pointing. We all need to point our fingers at ourselves. Whether we are first nation ,commercial, guides, sport fisherman or just people that live on this planet we all have an impact, some more than others. I get it, I see it there is good and bad in all groups but there is a lot of greed and the end result will be the end. Whether we like it or not, all groups need to work together. We all have the same interest FISH and we all want to see more of them. Unless I'm missing something I don't see our government's doing enough. One day I'd like to meet up with Dad again and tell him he was wrong and that his great, great grandkids are enjoying the best fishing ever.
How do we start to fix this and where do we begin ???

My Dad was born one year later to the day after yours, tomorrow we celebrate his 88th birthday. It sounds like my up bringing mirrors yours, lots of fishing and hunting growing up and enjoying the great outdoors of beautiful B.C. I'm just as concerned as you are and kind of doubtful things are reversible at this time the way are Provincial and Federal governments treats the pacific salmon fishery. The number one thing that I think that needs to be done is to enhance wild salmon spawning habitat and stop fishing the food source of immature and growing salmon such as herring, anchovies, krill, plankton (used for your gold fish food). Fish hatcheries aren't the answer, they may slow down things but their not the answer. A fish that has been wild since it was an egg is going to have a better chance of survival in the wild. Just my opinion.

I think it's important not to overlook the 55 million Sockeye that are in Alaska right now.
That biomass isn't free and it comes at the expense of other fish.

A couple of years ago, we had pacific blobs as massive warm waters that affected the fisheries and the ocean life.

Here is the link to the Pacific Salmon Treaty. It will download the doc in PDF format to your computer.
http://www.psc.org/publications/pacific-salmon-treaty/

Most of the Chinook stuff begins on page 57.
Fisheries/areas under treaty jurisdiction are on page 66

FYI Chinook catches started to decline in the 1800's.
ericl thanks for the link very interesting. A question for you do you think your side of the broader is doing enough and if not what could it do better ??

After reading some reports and discussion last week I sent a letter off to the PM. I have never done that. I don't think it will do much but people always say write your PM, MLA or MP so I did. A bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Hi RODNREEL. Give me a day or so. In the past we have seen Alaska being resistant to being "on-board" with conservation. Dunno how are 4 reps are distributed between the 4 US states involved.

OK. Fed's had to sue the state (WA) to get Culverts re-worked so that Salmon can pass. So I'd say that the US could do much more for habitat restoration.

In all the US west coast single barbless hook are required with California requiring circle hooks with bait. WA does not allow bringing fish that must be released aboard the vessel.
All Hatchery fish are marked.
Here is the latest agreement with the FN's:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/2017-18agreement.pdf

Here is an example of the attitude in Alaska:

https://www.kcaw.org/2017/04/11/southeast-troll-harvest-cut-100000-kings-2017/

Alaska is not open to voluntary change. That could be improved.

Here is an article with a graph illustrating Chinook interception:

http://wildfishconservancy.org/abou...d-fishery-chinook-catch-composition-1999-2010

Interception is well defined in the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

The article from wildfishconservancy advocates for ending the open ocean AABM Chinook troll fishery. In this type of fishery it is difficult to conserve stocks at risk.

RODNREEL, how do you feel about what Canada could do?

Best regards, Eric

Eric thank you for your reply and added information. I found the web sites very informative and I hope other members take the time to check them out. I didn't realize of all the Chinook caught in Alaska only 3% are native to Alaska with the rest coming from far and wide I think Alaska's attitude could be better. I did notice the graph illustrating the Chinook interception was from 1999 to 2010. I wonder if it has change much? I recommend members check out the videos on the wildfishconservancy site they have me rethinking my opinion about hatcheries.
As for your question to me what could Canada do. In my opinion a lot, but I'm going to think on it for a bit and I hope other Canadians join in with their opinions.
Take care, RNR

If you really believe that you can have sustainable Chinook populations without hatcheries anywhere from northern California to southern BC then please keep reading and learning until you see clearly past the dreamy propaganda of some environmental ideologists.

I'd have to confess to being at least somewhat pro hatchery. Hatcheries began on the Columbia in the 1800's with the idea being we could wipe-out native runs when it suited us to destroy their environment (dams, logging, etc.) and hatcheries would replace the native runs.
Many would now like to repeat this arrogance by ignoring human caused climate change; a total failure to consider the consequences of being wrong.
We will probably need hatcheries 20 years beyond the point we take serious action towards rebuilding the fish runs. If interested in this, looking into the Elwa river project in WA is informative.

Eric there are many examples of how the Canadian Government could do a better job from fish farms in our oceans to hydro dams in our rivers to many years of bad logging practices. I've picked a couple that are close to home.
http://www.cheknews.ca/windstorm-wipes-out-400000-salmon-at-qualicum-hatchery-324055/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...o-returned-to-the-tsolum-river/article622852/
What the volunteers have accomplished with the Tsolum river is amazing. My hat is off to those good people !!!

Back