When is a Dummy Not a DUmmy

Clip in to your dummy clip, feed out some main line, go up another 5-10 feet and clip into the bite in the line.. There will be slack waiting for both clips to pop. Be ready. A Sooke guy invented a flasher for this to play just the fish. I have one, I'll try to find the name.

It is (was) called a Super Release dodger. The second clip is so the dummy does not get pulled out of horizontal. It has a gentle sway so it doesn't hang up on the main line connecting to a second clip above. It has a built in old style scotty pin release in the back.

I have even run bait behind my 'dummy release rig' - I think you will find that the size of lure off the release clip doesn't matter much - the amount of upward deflection on the whole combo caused by the mainline is acceptable. Some deflection may even be helpful?? The limit on my test case was fishing deep enough to be stable and trolling slightly faster.
I will post some comparison pics when I get back to my boat ( if this topic is still going )

When is a dummy not a dummy? When he looks in the mirror....... :) LOL

And I might say is able to smile!!
icon6.png

Wildthing showed me the spin n glow attached to the release clip trick. He modified it with silicone glue on the wings so they became rigid. Has a real nice 1 revolution per second roll. No glue and it rolls to fast for his liking...

Cool post and nice slab SF.

Here's two possible scenarios.

Picture 2 shows with the reel line wound up tight (exaggeration)

Unless you're fishing super shallow I don't think you can get it that tight to disrupt release line......

Even if you do tighten reel line up there will IMO be mainline blowback...

Most people fish with the main tightened up to a degree so picture 1 is an exaggeration too.......but it points out main blowback..

001.jpg002.jpg

Figured this would be moved from fishing reports section by the time I got home from work.

Had this set up on my mind at work and seems interesting. Might have to try and create somthing on these lines for stacking.

Thanks for getting the wheels turning.

Fishing Solo, curious what do they charge for the 000 spin n glo in Langley and do they have a good variety of colours in that size ???.tks..j.j.

I have had a few PM's asking about these dummy/ releases and where I am with them. Appears this is not my invention-Robert at PNT says that Gibbs or Delta put out an in-line flasher with a release about 15 or 20 years ago. They were discontinued after a year as they never caught on. I have moved the in-line flasher to last in the string- as close as possible to the release to address concerns that FA had about the dummy/release climbing up. I will be in Winter Harbour Friday and I will fish them exclusively one side either stacked or single until I can see they are at least either as good or better than a normal set-up or an idea that should have stayed dead 20 years ago. Should be ideal for plugs ,spoons ,chovies and Jugheads.Tight Lines

Attachments

• DSC01325.jpg
    DSC01325.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 324
I took the dummy release to Winter harbour-modified it with a rudder-it caught fish-it has a very bad habit that at the moment I am at a loss to fix. It does not pull up-the in-line flasher keeps it down but it does transmit an annoying and rhythmic dipping and bobbing like we used to get in the old days from a flasher and slip weights. This makes it unusable for anchovy-my prime motivator. I could get used to it for spoons and plugs but for now I will use it as an excellent dummy. If anyone has any thoughts on how to dampen the transmission from the in-line flasher please let me know. Thanks

Hey Guys You are the only network I have Please help an old Veteran win a new MR3. If you are on Face book please click on the following link and "like " my photo. Thanks Spring Fever

https://www.facebook.com/jugheadshaker/photos/a.389736011166580.1073741827.389731304500384/411320645674783/?type=1

Dummy is a dummy ! Stupid is Stupid ! Which you can't fix !! LoL ! I bought 2 flashers at Cabelas last year design for this which I tied my main line like 6' & put scotty clip on I found diving & works great ! Clip on close to ball & fight fish with no flasher . I find the smaller one works better. Have no picture on hand. No Dummy on this one ! Your line is close to ball . More accurate depth reading & they work !!! You should patent a new model $$$$$
Cheers Slick

Just wondering why that "rhythmic dipping and bobbing like the old flasher with slip weights" would be unusable for bait.......?

They used bait with the old flasher and slip weight back in the day........

If you are fishing chovy deep you watch that rod tip like a hawk if it bumps probably indicates your chovy has been hit and is now -no good -has to be changed.-Can't tell if its dipping all the time.

Back