What's your preferred gunnel height?

Hip high, I'm 6'2" and my 23 ft Hourston is pretty much hip high and I never feel unsafe in it. Comfortable working height too. only disadvantage is it's tough taking a **** over the side. Lol

Yes high is nice, feels safer leaning into hip high gunnels, better for leaning into the riggers, netting and playing fish

I like deep cockpits as well. If it's rough I want plenty of wall to keep me inside. My old DE20 has crossed the strait during ferry shutdowns and I'll tell you what, when I look back and see big water overtaking me, I want plenty of wall to keep the water outside too! Plus, if you have kids on board, that extra bit of gunnel height is kind of reassuring.

So where is the trade off point regarding scuppers and maximum inside gunnel height?
Would you be willing to lose a bit to get the benefit of a self draining floor?
At the moment I have 31" at minimum and while I would have to hang the engine and temporary rig the heavy stuff to see how it sits I'm thinking the floor would need to be 2" higher to keep the floor dry. It would be a little more work but not much.

What you lose in height after redoing your boat can be made up with a railing. Doesn't help with keeping water out. Fished in a lot of different boats this summer and none of them felt as safe and comfortable as my Hourston.

The hull on my weldcraft was fairly deep but had a raised floor so the gunnel was above my knees, about 32". I was leaning over the side unhooking a fish and my feet slipped from under me and nearly toppled over the side. If I had kept the boat I probably would have put a rail on.

Besides the height it is really nice to have it vertical and an opening below the gunnel for your feet. That way your thighs can press up against the gunnel. I had a boat where the gunnel slanted outward and so as the boat rocked your thighs banged against the gunnel. After hours of fishing they got rather bruised.
For me mid thigh is good. That’s about 29”. Too high and you can’t reach the water which makes it harder to release a fish.

If I can rail date they are perfect height. In other words when taking a p, the twig goes over and the berries go under. ;)

The hight of my old 175 DE was terrible. I think I cracked 3 phone screens on that boat leaning over the gunnle

The hull on my weldcraft was fairly deep but had a raised floor so the gunnel was above my knees, about 32". I was leaning over the side unhooking a fish and my feet slipped from under me and nearly toppled over the side. If I had kept the boat I probably would have put a rail on.

I was a little off in the gunnel height for the weldcraft, it was about 27". I think the newer models are about 32-36". Anyway I found them to low.

So I hear people talking about toe rails and I go and google toe rail and everything I see Is what I imagine for toe rails, a raised edge on the outside of the hull of a sailboat. How is that going to help on a boat with raised gunnels?
I could see somthing like heel rails so you could lock in your heels as you put pressure on your thighs while leaning forward....?

Ok found some pics finally!

Last edited:
Ok mind made up! Self bailing cockpit floor, toe rails and a railing. Thanks guys!
Actually might do a 1 1/2" gunnel cap out of fir first, the fiberglass looks like Swiss cheese. I was going to reinforce the gunnel from below however that would be tougher. Good foundation for mounting stuff.
Have lots of railing, just need new fittings so about $50 per side.
I have blue styrofoam laying around so I'll pack underfloor with flotation.
Start laying it out!

Last edited:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 48