whats the report on evenrude e tecs?

marr

i was looking at buying a used motor for my boat and found a 2007 175 e tec. is this a reputable motor? does anyone know if theyve been problematic?

i was looking at buying a used motor for my boat and found a 2007 175 e tec. is this a reputable motor? does anyone know if theyve been problematic?

How many hours are on it?
A buddy has a smaller 90 E-tec on his 16' Double Eagle and likes it after 2 years. He bought it used. You're in Lake Cowichan so ask Tiptons if they can advise you and even check the 175 out for you. Def get it checked by a technician before you buy it.

hi Marr
i run a 300 e-tec on my 26 footer for two years now with no issues. i troll and cruise with it no smoke and quite even though i have a 30 etec as my kicker the 300 idles right down. to lazy to put the kicker down. me i would not hesitate to buy etecs again. but as stated above buyer beware,get it checked out. rod tipton is retired now but i have heard the new owner is pretty good and fair.
tony

I have a 2008 150 that I bought new in 2010. I 've been pretty happy with it.

PROS: it's good on fuel, starts quickly and easily, was less expensive than competitors 150's, very easy to winterize, low maintenance costs (so far)and 5 year warrantee

CONS: Throttle response is very touchy when first accelerating and deaccelerating, the water intake fouls very easily with kelp, runs rough at certain RPM,s

I will be taking it in for it's first scheduled maintenance next month and I hope to get the touchy throttle response and rough running issues resolved then.

I once read that one of the most important factors on deciding what brand to purchase, is to choose one that is serviced by a local shop which you trust. Wise advice in my opinion.

Here is a link to a forum where you will find lots of info on ETECS.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

the etec forum proved a great source for info prior to my purchase. Touchy throttle response sounds like a good thing to me! I hate having to nudge the throttle 3 times to get a few RPM's out of a motor...looking forward to my first trials with the new motor.

the etec forum proved a great source for info prior to my purchase. Touchy throttle response sounds like a good thing to me! I hate having to nudge the throttle 3 times to get a few RPM's out of a motor...looking forward to my first trials with the new motor.

I think you made a great decision with the E Tec.... Ive been around a few of them and think they're great motors. We used and abused an E Tec on a crew boat where I used to work.... Great motor.
You'll absolutely fly with the 250 lol

I think you made a great decision with the E Tec.... Ive been around a few of them and think they're great motors. We used and abused an E Tec on a crew boat where I used to work.... Great motor.
You'll absolutely fly with the 250 lol

Ya, I'm pretty bouncing-off-the-walls excited! On paper, the Etec's are an incredible motor. I can only hope they perform as the papers say! Self winterizing, low maintenance, less parts, more torque, more amps, gear driven alternator, less emissions, quiter at idle, comparable fuel economy (to 4 strokes), lighter, faster.....

The Rep even told me if your Etec runs dry it will power down to 1500RPM and run for over 5 hours with NO OIL! Compared to a 4 stroke, thats 5 hours of longer running time with no oil (or a pump failure) than a 4 stroke. Just too many variables to not lean towards an Etec. I've already got some grief from the 4 stroke guys...but that could just be jealousy talking ;) lol

Here's a pic of my new monster....:)

imagejpeg_2.jpg

(please ignore my previous posts praising inboard motors haha, can't wait to mount er on the pod!!)

....and the color is a really dark blue, not black..

Your going to have to get your pilot's license now since you will be flying your boat lol. That is a Monster. Can't wait to hear about the sea trials. Better hurry up and finish the tub man:D.

Dark blue :cool: coloured motor would definitely go well with my 98 B/W conquest. From what I have read and other forums, I would most definitely look at the E-tec.

I have a pair of 150hp e-tec on my 2502 Trophy.I have had them for 3 seasons and have just under 300hrs on each.So far they have been fantastic, great on fuel, real quiet, and seem to push my boat much better than the old 175hp Mercs I had on it. The oil is expensive but leaves zero exhaust smoke at any time. You will be happy with your choice

Ya, I'm pretty bouncing-off-the-walls excited! On paper, the Etec's are an incredible motor. I can only hope they perform as the papers say! Self winterizing, low maintenance, less parts, more torque, more amps, gear driven alternator, less emissions, quiter at idle, comparable fuel economy (to 4 strokes), lighter, faster.....

The Rep even told me if your Etec runs dry it will power down to 1500RPM and run for over 5 hours with NO OIL! Compared to a 4 stroke, thats 5 hours of longer running time with no oil (or a pump failure) than a 4 stroke. Just too many variables to not lean towards an Etec. I've already got some grief from the 4 stroke guys...but that could just be jealousy talking ;) lol

Here's a pic of my new monster....:)

imagejpeg_2.jpg

(please ignore my previous posts praising inboard motors haha, can't wait to mount er on the pod!!)

....and the color is a really dark blue, not black..

Congrats Nick,that's going to be one fast tin boat!

wow FB nice motor i agree with everyone else you will be flying , love the winterizing feature ---it is sweet. I think I'm the only guy around with the same hull as you and I have the old school 225 merc blac max and it goes like hell your going to have 25 more ponys wow. at 3000 rpm I'm going 30 mph at 4000 its 40 mph. Will be interested to see how yours performs .-----2 stroke rules baby ---------- Congrats --I'm jealous

S

noticed on the youtube that they compare the e-tec vs 4 stroke verado ---guess they where too chicken to go against the Merc optimax ----- 2 stroke vs 2 stroke thats what we want to see ---- I believe both brands of 2 strokes are fine motors would just like to see a fair fight

wow FB nice motor i agree with everyone else you will be flying , love the winterizing feature ---it is sweet. I think I'm the only guy around with the same hull as you and I have the old school 225 merc blac max and it goes like hell your going to have 25 more ponys wow. at 3000 rpm I'm going 30 mph at 4000 its 40 mph. Will be interested to see how yours performs .-----2 stroke rules baby ---------- Congrats --I'm jealous

S

I'm guessing he'll do close to 60 mph WOT. We were talking about it on Sunday and that is what i'm going with. Anyone else want to guess? (that boat is on the lighter side for it's size in alloy).

45 mph or it could chine walk at 50 and fill your pants.

and for the record I have no idea what I'm talking about.....
just a wild big a$$ guess.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most boats will chine walk at 50 as they are not designed for that speed. Some fibreglass boats have a flat spot at the back 4 or 5 inches of chine to prevent that.

45 mph or it could chine walk at 50 and fill your pants.

and for the record I have no idea what I'm talking about.....
just a wild big a$$ guess.:rolleyes:

Back