What's the deal with idiots driving so close to fishing vessels?

Alex_c

Was out today making a wide turn trying to navigate the current that was towing the gear pretty hard, and some buddy guy is literally bearing down on me full throttle off the starboard side. I had no idea what his gameplan was, but if I had a horn he would have got 5 blasts. I ended up button hooking right as he came up on me because he showed no signs of going anywhere but straight ahead. He ended up passing me maybe 20 yards away which is too ******* close when there's literally an entire ocean around and I am the only boat fishing anywhere nearby. Not the first time it's happened. Don't these clowns know that they need to yield to the slower moving vessel? Also I can't wrap my head around why you would need to get so close. I'm not that much to look at. My monkey brain was telling me to toss 2oz of lead through his windshield but luckily I'm not that impetuous. Rant over.

As far as marine right-of-way is concerned fishing vessels trump everybody including vessels under sail.

As far as marine right-of-way is concerned fishing vessels trump everybody including vessels under sail.

Not quite True - Sporties are not fishing vessels. They are sport fisherman and they don't command any special treatment other than what the collision regs state.

I dunno, but I'm always impressed when some yaho flies by about 30 feet out from the pack at full bore, sometimes between the pack and shore. Checking out the action? Or better yet comes into the middle of the pack at full speed, cuts the engine and starts setting up gear cutting everyone off as they erratically maneuver until everything is just right .

I dunno, but I'm always impressed when some yaho flies by about 30 feet out from the pack at full bore, sometimes between the pack and shore. Checking out the action? Or better yet comes into the middle of the pack at full speed, cuts the engine and starts setting up gear cutting everyone off as they erratically maneuver until everything is just right .

Happens out at Kitty Coleman all the time. Or, there's the guys running on half step weaving through the fleet for some unknown reason. Or, the huge pleasure craft heading up or down the strait tossing out the huge wakes.

I think it's kind of like society over all in a way. Some people treat others with respect and courtesy, use good manners, etc. Others are so self absorbed with self entitlement with a 'screw the world' mentality that they only care about themselves.

Lets face it. A small pleasure ticket aint much! I think newbies tend to treat their new boats like they are cars where distance and speed is judged by there experience on the pavement. So its nothing to buzz another boat at 30 kn. These types will drive their boats around the dock like the steering wheels are on the front of the boat banging their sterns into docks and other boats every time they touch the throttle. In an effort to go slow they will run their boats slow yet at a 45 degree angle to the water making a massive massive wake causing havoc at the dock, all the while thinking they are going nice and slow. I think i just comes down to experience however around my area it is nothing for a whale watching boat to do 25-30 kn 50 yards along the edge of a group of fishing boats and occasionally right through the middle of the pack.

Its up to the experienced guys on the water to educate the new guys. While I had run boats all my life ocean fishing and boat operation was new to me at one point and over the years I was advised occasionally by experience guys and it was never a scolding lecture with any bad vibe what so ever. Just words. I remember some specifically....fishtofino...lol.

Here's the definition that matters.... No one has special considerations as a stand on vessel while sport fishing. Taken straight from Canada's edition of the Collision Regulations.

The term vessel engaged in fishing means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.

Here's the definition that matters.... No one has special considerations as a stand on vessel while sport fishing. Taken straight from Canada's edition of the Collision Regulations.

Not trying to start a peeing contest here; I respect your position, experience, & knowledge. I am however having a bit of a struggle finding the proper definition - can you provide your reference? What I have found so far makes no difference between sport/commercial fishing. In my experience the big boat ALWAYS has the right of way. Had a collision with a sailboat while I was trolling. I would change coarse then he changed course. At the last minute he made a course change, I threw the boat into reverse & he scrapped my bow rail. He admitted he was down below & not watching & the wind was steering his boat. I would have had to pick-up my gear & move a large distance to avoid this, which next time I will. These rules don't mean **** unless all obey them.

Thanks, Eric

We had the same thing happen with a sail boat however this guy steered straight at us.
we were the only boat in the area and the dork made a beeline for us.
I had to do a 180 deg turn at the last second to avoid a collision while he barked that he had right of way.
at some point common sense should prevail ??

Come to the Okanagan. It's a sad fact of life that from mid June til school goes back we deal with this on a daily basis.

Not trying to start a peeing contest here; I respect your position, experience, & knowledge. I am however having a bit of a struggle finding the proper definition - can you provide your reference? What I have found so far makes no difference between sport/commercial fishing. In my experience the big boat ALWAYS has the right of way. Had a collision with a sailboat while I was trolling. I would change coarse then he changed course. At the last minute he made a course change, I threw the boat into reverse & he scrapped my bow rail. He admitted he was down below & not watching & the wind was steering his boat. I would have had to pick-up my gear & move a large distance to avoid this, which next time I will. These rules don't mean **** unless all obey them.

Thanks, Eric
Reference is easy, just google "collision regulations". Canadian ones are better for the local modifications, but any international copy has vessel engaged in fishing defined under rule 3 paragraph d.

And yes, if someone is sailing you need to stay out of their way, however in your example above the sailboat also failed to follow more than a few rules like lookout, maintain course and speed Ect. Ect.

Always remember that the rules for stand on and give way vessels only stand up for so long, in the end it is every vessels responsibility to do whatever is necessary to avoid collision no matter who had "right of way" to begin with. Legal blame is never heaped on only one party.

P.S. It might be easier to think of it this way, are you a fishing vessel while sport fishing? Of course!

Are you a "vessel engaged in fishing" as defined under the collision regulations with special stand on considerations when risk of collision exists? No.

Last edited:
Back