What's for dinner tonight ?

Gave a sausage making course yesterday to 10 can/ us friends. Made bratwurst , French Canadian (thanks Striper Sniper) and Sweet hot Italian sausage. The making was fun and the dinner party and wine guzzling after was great!!!

Attachments

• DSC00835.jpg
    DSC00835.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC00825.jpg
    DSC00825.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00838.jpg
    DSC00838.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC00836.jpg
    DSC00836.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 263
... Made bratwurst , French Canadian (thanks Striper Sniper) and Sweet hot Italian sausage.

Care to share the "French Canadian" sausage recipe?
Although we've run through the vast majority (300+ pounds) of our "fresh" type of sausages (smoked products yet to go) I am always interested in learning of new recipes. Have not heard of that one, so it caught my eye...

Will try to remember to take a snapshot of the moose T-Bones tonight to keep this on track...

Cheers,
Nog

Sure thing Nog - For 10 lbs-French Canadian or Quebecois sausage-original base recipe from Striper Sniper- This is using pork with about 12 to 14% fat
Up to 1 cup red wine to moisten the mix
21/2 tbsp. salt
1 Cup soy protein for binder
1 whole white or yellow onion finely diced
1 whole garlic (bulb) finely minced
11/2 TBsp ground cinnamon
2TBsp course ground pepper
1TBsp Poultry seasoning or any combination of thyme ,savory, sage
11/2 TSP of Allspice
Place in 32 to 35mm casings
If using moose or other game you will have to adjust the amount of added fat or added pork to get the right fat content you prefer.

Here is my arbutus smoked pork shoulder fresh out of the smoker
image.jpg

Forgot the serranos so they are in there now
image.jpg

Was hoping for some more snow to happen while I was smoking but that's VI. here is a pic where you can kinda see the snow
image.jpg

Or not!

So GB is arbutus a good wood to put on the smoke list? What do you think of it in relation to other woods you've tried?

SF, your sausage party looks awesome (get your head out of the gutter!)
I will let you know once I pull it, if it sucks I may cry. I did sneak some alder in.

Lobster sux!
SF the best I can describe the arbutus smoke is as very mellow. it makes a very mild smoke, has a nice flavour, definitely not like hickory, cherry or mesquite. I asked the gf for her imput and she thinks fish would be different, but with a pork shoulder I'm making a few different sauces so it is less important. I will try arbutus with salmon and dorado but need to clear out some smoked salmon first. Will report when that happens, until then I give arbutus a thumbs up.

Cheers,
Darin

Moose T-Bones in Marinade:

Marinade_Moose.jpg

And Fresh Off The Barbee with Mushroom Potatoes and mixed Green Beans / Asparagus. YUMMY! ;)

Moose_T_Bones.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Mushroom Potatoes ..how do you do those up? look good...:)

Layer in a baking (casserole) dish (after greasing the bottom with butter):
- Several layers of sliced Potatoes
- A layer of chopped Onion
- A layer of sliced Celery
- Final layer of sliced Mushrooms.

In a separate bowl, toss in about 1/3 a brick of Philadelphia Cream Cheese & nuke until soft (~ 30 seconds)
Whip in a can of mushroom soup.
Then whip in 1/4 cup of Sour Cream.

Pour the mix over-top the layers potatoes etc, and cover with a lid.
Bake at 350 for about an hour or so.

Downright Fattening and Damn YUMMY! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Back