What the #$%@

highlights,

The old crews still kicking around, just not fishing as much! Sure missed the good old days when fish were plenty. You have to work for them now and there is less of a major holding pools and spots these days because of the constant flooding. The river is swift and wide.

Is your name m.b or m.p ? I have not fished the Stamp for a couple of years now, I sure missed that river though and a jet is the way to go. If I was living closer to the Stamp, I probably get a jet as well and fish it more often.

Fins,

It was really good to get out to the flow and it was not too cold. I will try to stay away from that Vimy ramp if possible. It's just too much trouble to pull out [V] and not good to the boat. See you guys on the flow, and save me some fish :D:D:D

HS.

highlights,

The old crews still kicking around, just not fishing as much! Sure missed the good old days when fish were plenty. You have to work for them now and there is less of a major holding pools and spots these days because of the constant flooding. The river is swift and wide.

Is your name m.b or m.p ? I have not fished the Stamp for a couple of years now, I sure missed that river though and a jet is the way to go. If I was living closer to the Stamp, I probably get a jet as well and fish it more often.

Fins,

It was really good to get out to the flow and it was not too cold. I will try to stay away from that Vimy ramp if possible. It's just too much trouble to pull out [V] and not good to the boat. See you guys on the flow, and save me some fish :D:D:D

HS.

Chosen One
Thanks for the reasons.

Do you know if the intent is to move to a catch and release, non-retention, only?

Chosen One
Thanks for the reasons.

Do you know if the intent is to move to a catch and release, non-retention, only?

Hyde-n-seek( j a ? ) You nailed both those names from the old days.I do have to say however that it is not "B" ( I also wonder how he is). It has been some time. Hope life is treating you well. Yeah I know what your saying about having to put in some major effort for fish these days. Looking back through the albums makes you realize how good we had it.

I'm sure we'll see you out there, and course here on the boards.:)

Hyde-n-seek( j a ? ) You nailed both those names from the old days.I do have to say however that it is not "B" ( I also wonder how he is). It has been some time. Hope life is treating you well. Yeah I know what your saying about having to put in some major effort for fish these days. Looking back through the albums makes you realize how good we had it.

I'm sure we'll see you out there, and course here on the boards.:)

not sure time but eventually there will be no choice. Hey Hyde that launch at vimy is brutal. It almost cost me my boat today. I cranked my boat onto the trailer and went to pull it up the ramp and there was so much pressure on the ball that the hitch came off and broke both of my safety chains and the boat and trailer went back into the river. Luckily the trailer stopped but lost both oars out the back of the boat and away they went. After 20 minutes we managed to get the boat and trailer up the ramp. Came home and got the other boat and went back to vimy and launched to look for my oars. By some Shi t house luck I found them in the canyon in a little back eddy:D. Gonna have to figure out some plan for that launch though. We might put a big chunk of mill felt over all the rocks. I dunno

not sure time but eventually there will be no choice. Hey Hyde that launch at vimy is brutal. It almost cost me my boat today. I cranked my boat onto the trailer and went to pull it up the ramp and there was so much pressure on the ball that the hitch came off and broke both of my safety chains and the boat and trailer went back into the river. Luckily the trailer stopped but lost both oars out the back of the boat and away they went. After 20 minutes we managed to get the boat and trailer up the ramp. Came home and got the other boat and went back to vimy and launched to look for my oars. By some Shi t house luck I found them in the canyon in a little back eddy:D. Gonna have to figure out some plan for that launch though. We might put a big chunk of mill felt over all the rocks. I dunno

It sure would be funny to see footage of what each of us goes through on various ramps trying to launch our driftboats. Or even worse , trying to get the suckers out of the water and up the bank.
Really, with the incentive to catch fish , it's rather quick to pitch the boat over the edge to get on with the days events. By the end of the day dragging the sorry tub out of the water doesn't look so appealing. LOL

It sure would be funny to see footage of what each of us goes through on various ramps trying to launch our driftboats. Or even worse , trying to get the suckers out of the water and up the bank.
Really, with the incentive to catch fish , it's rather quick to pitch the boat over the edge to get on with the days events. By the end of the day dragging the sorry tub out of the water doesn't look so appealing. LOL

C1,

Brutal! Some one could seriously be injured from that! I hope Parks will do something about it.

Gravels, mill felts or anything will help! It might be a while for me to pull my boat out of that spot! My boat trailer jumped 2 feet up the air when I pull out last time and it was not pretty [V][V]:(

See you around the flow hightlights :) if it's not "B" then must be "P" right? ;)

HS.

Hyde, you nailed it! Like I said, I don't get out too often anymore because of other priorities, but my love of fishing will always be in my blood. The trips I do go on tend to be a little more elaborate as I need to get as much out of them as possible. I haven't done a walk to the river for years. Course once you get a boat, you'll never go back. You know what I am talking about. Course with that being said there is still something about hiking the summer flow for browns on the fly.

As for those takeouts, well the municipalities should be ashamed. So much for user groups getting the most of our resource. Someone will get hurt. Course then they will shut them down completely. We seriuosly need to consider rallying the powers that be on the various watersheds of interest.

A bunch of us have already started against the city of Port Albernie and their complete disregard for use amongst non professional anglers on the Stamp River. It is an outrage that with such a highly supplemented river such as the Stamp, that the chamber has not alocated funds to ensure visitors complete acsess to the system. They have to face the fact that their mill is going nowhere quickly. To playcate to the Murphy's is a mistake. With the economic value that over night fisherman can generate for the town, I just do not understand their take.

Anyways enough of my rant.

I hope to see you on the flow one day as well.

Take care for now.

:)

Highlights what do you mean the stamp has no access???I probably fish there more times per year then mosy guys from Vic and access has never been a problem for me??You have a jet now so its a piece of cake!!I always have been treated well except for one or two times by the locals up there guides included!!I always thought the cowichan and its complete hick mentality and its great if you have keys like us to the gates but what about out of town guys??Its obvious the cow is being run by certain user groups with an agenda!!Creel surveys are bunk there too however Dwayne is a good guy i just think anglers b.s. him too much myself guilty abit too!!

I still remember first seeing those boat lauches on the Cowichan when I moved to Duncan. I couldn't believe how pathetic they were. I don't have a drift boat myself (hopefully one day) but I can only imagine trying to pull one up at Vimy Rd. Even Stoltz looks pretty pathetic.
A river as famous as the cowichan you think they would have better facilities.

And honestly how much would it cost North Cowichan/CVRD to make a decent ramp?

When the Nechako river boat launch started washing out in Prince George, the jet boat club and other groups got the city and others to contribute to paying for a new boat launch that cost in the 100K's of dollars. I helped out on the project last time I was up. I mean they had to damn the river around, extract every fish, build a settling pond, excavate, then concrete blocks, poured concrete, rip rap rock, etc. It was a huge project. But the ramp was huge and built to last.

My point is if they can get funds to build a ramp like that then certainly the municipalities can build a decent little ramp on the cowichan. And what about a pull out in Duncan somewhere? Then you might even stop in town for a brew after a drift. [:p]

Might be a good time to write a letter to the CVRD/North Cowichan. I haven't been by Vimy since last year but I guess I will have to swing by and have a look.

On another note tight lines to all searching for steel this weekend! :D

Hey Brennan, the take out in Duncan actually is not too bad. Just speak to a fellow named Wilf. He runs the little rv park near the black trestle just up from the silver bridge on the Victoria side of the river.

Look at any of the fascilities for recration down in the States. Doesn't matter if it's boat ramps, R/C feilds, tracks. The Americans do all big down there. Oh , except for the Health care. Ooohps[xx(]

Hey Highlights what happened to the Lifetimer with the big Sage stickers on it.. What kind of jet did you get ?? Maybe hit the Cowie with it as yesterday there was jet sighting in the lower Cowie. Saw some guy in a red/silver chevy going nuts when he saw the jet..

Hey Fins, still have the the big aluminum. The jet is an 18' Rogue from down in Oregon. It looks like a charmer. Tons of room. Definitely not us on the Cowy. Although I did consider taking it from the Black trestle down to the mouth and back up. Could be crazy fun down there. I will have to look further into the regs however.

Getting into much action over the past few years?

Fins dude, where did we see each other last time? I am familiar with your screen name but I must appologize and say that I am having trouble connecting it with your face.

You knew my screen name and placed it with my boat. It must be obvious , but I just can't figure it out.

HL

We don't know each other. I just keep my eyes open on whose who on the river.. Sort of like Hyde n seek keeping a low profile.

Back