What is it?

IronNoggin

Bycatch when salmon trolling off Nootka:

What.jpg

Ideas??

Wondering...
Nog

If killed/bled/iced like any other Tuna they're actually half decent but deteriorate quickly if left to sit around.

The smaller ones are used for bait for the giant fish in the bluewater

The smaller ones are used for bait for the giant fish in the bluewater

These are a bit different than the skipjack most people refer to as Bonito. These are pacific bonito a seperate species closer to mackerel. Have a more widespread habitat including right into the surf line , and are a schooling fish so one means most likley more around. Hopefully not another mackerel situation.

These are a bit different than the skipjack most people refer to as Bonito. These are pacific bonito a seperate species closer to mackerel. Have a more widespread habitat including right into the surf line , and are a schooling fish so one means most likley more around. Hopefully not another mackerel situation.

What do you mean by Mackerel situation? I'm ignorant to the subject..

Some years Mackeral are abundant off the west coast. I think El Niño influences their migration. Anyhow, they are a pain in the butt. They love anchovy. Up at Nootka some years they show up and it's a lot of work because they feed on what ever gear you have out. Gear is up continually pulling off Macks.

The other side of that coin is that Mackerel are excellent Crab & Prawn bait-use as is after stepping on it to 'bring out the juices'.

What do you mean by Mackerel situation? I'm ignorant to the subject..

Warm water attracts them. They'll come right into shore bays etc. off west coast V.I.
Not too long ago there was a "mackerel" year. You could catch them right off the marina wharf in Port Alberni by the dozen and also Barkley Sound and surrounding areas.
This kind aren't very big at all. Around 12 inches etc . Not same species as Nog's.

Pain in the butt. Soon as you get your gear in they're on.

Technically they are edible. But if you don't gut them and get them on ice immediately they will turn crappy and taste mushy and weird.

Last edited:
I have noticed that once in a while you will see Mackerel filleted and smoked in the supermarkets and they are not cheap. There must be some kind of commercial fishery and processing for them. I am curious, is it a local BC commercial fishery in Al Nino years?

We had a season in the late 90's where they were abundant off Sooke.
You couldn't keep bait in the water for more than a few minutes without a hook up.
I can't remember them being a problem since.

Warm water attracts them. They'll come right into shore bays etc. off west coast V.I.
Not too long ago there was a "mackerel" year. You could catch them right off the marina wharf in Port Alberni by the dozen and also Barkley Sound and surrounding areas.
This kind aren't very big at all. Around 12 inches etc . Not same species as Nog's.

Pain in the butt. Soon as you get your gear in they're on.

Technically they are edible. But if you don't gut them and get them on ice immediately they will turn crappy and taste mushy and weird.

Barb Q whole with seasoning salt.... makes great fish taco's :)

I have noticed that once in a while you will see Mackerel filleted and smoked in the supermarkets and they are not cheap.
Those are so called Norwegian Mackerel-white flesh and quite tasty the Japanese are crazy for it.
There must be some kind of commercial fishery and processing for them. I am curious, is it a local BC commercial fishery in Al Nino years?
There are a lot of different Mackerel species world wide many of them quite tasty we just happen to attract the bait level kind.

There's another kind of Mackerel seen here occasionally larger/longer seen one once never ate any though it had been in the freezer too long.

Back