Derby

Crew Member
If you had a choice of a Grady White for WCVI not for Guiding
What one would you suggest?

Grady 232
Grady 228
24 ft Grady

Were trying to sell our 25 grady (about 30 LOA) and go smaller,
im facing the same question, 232, 228, ive also been considering the 222 (and if i had the money, the brand new 230 just released, but no used ones on the market yet).

The 232 and 228 are completely different boats. The 232 is a monster compared to the 228, with over a foot of extra beam.
The 232's seem to be in much higher demand becasue they are the biggest boat i would say on the market in a 23' length, and are accordingly much more expensive. If going a 232, i would HIGHLY reccomend twin engines, they were designed for the twin application and i was told they handle much better in that setup.

Both are excellent boats and you will not go wrong with either. If you want something quite a bit bigger, but still manageable and have the extra money find a 232, if not the 228 will be your ideal canidate.
Shoot me an email if i can help you out with anything :)

Thank You [8D]-I'm thinking 232 myself- a few of my guide friends have also recommened the 232. Problem is I found a mint 228 that priced right? I was wondering if anyone out there has been in both models?I was also wondering about the boats with 1 or 2 motor.Sounds like you vote for two. Question? why does it handle better with two motors?
Never ran a boat with 2 motors just one.
:)

quote:Originally posted by Derby

Thank You [8D]-I'm thinking 232 myself- a few of my guide friends have also recommened the 232. Problem is I found a mint 228 that priced right? I was wondering if anyone out there has been in both models?I was also wondering about the boats with 1 or 2 motor.Sounds like you vote for two. Question? why does it handle better with two motors?
Never ran a boat with 2 motors just one.

Ive been in both, and like i said great boats, both models.
The 232 hull, weight, and beam were really designed to be used with twin engines, its 9'3'' wide not 8', so your pushing 15'' x 23' of extra surface. The center location of a single engine i would also imagine plays a different role.. not to sure though. I heard that before the 300/350's so if you were going with a single one of thosee it might be a different story, saying that though also makes me think that it might have been you needed the extra hp before to have the boat perform well as you could only go up to a single 250 in single application, vs. twin 150 or 200 engines for more hp.
Docking will also be easier with twins.
What sort of 228 are you looking at? If you found a nice boat at the right price i would go for it, you definitely wont be sorry with either boat, and the 228 is still a big boat for around here!

I have to agree with nedarb. You can't go wrong with the 228. I have fished out of one for the past four years and it is very comfortable and reasonable to maintain and operate.
Scott

Thanks Again-:) Just check out the Stat. on both boats and the 232 is going to be the winner. The Bridge clearance on the 228 is 6"2" and the 232 is 6'5" & being that I'm just over 6'2"should answer the question for me.Thanks again for the info.Should have my boat deal done shortly and will let you know what I get.
[8D]

I drive the Grady 265, been on a 228 and she was a really nice boat and one of my pals is chartering from one last year with no issues. I know two other guide pals running the 232 and they both have single screw applications - no issues. One of them ran a 250 Suzuki and then when his engine was ripped off upgraded to the 300 Suzuki and found that to be a lot better. Just a little extra pick up out of the whole. These boats are great any way you slice them, but the deciding factor for me is put the biggest tub you can afford to run under you if you plan to fish off shore. So, my vote is the 232. I don't know if we have any Grady 232 drivers on line who can provide their perspectives, but would be really interested to hear.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Grappler seems to like his 228:D The 250 Yammy pushes it along quite nicely. If your looking at the 232 Gulf, the older models seem to come set up with twins and the new boats with singles. The 232 is alot deeper and doesn't roll as much offshore in the slop as much as the 228. If it were me 232, with twin 200's;)

Pass the Pack

Thanks Guy's
You don't make it easy for a guy do you[8D]
Looked @ a 22ft Grady yesterday -didn't like the set up-it had the motor well.
Towing either of 323 or 228 isn't a problem got the vehical to do it with.
Fish or cut bait?[:p]
Any other idea or opinions greatly appericated[:p]

I own the 232 and it is the best hands down. I installed a 4 blade prop on a single 250 4 stroke. It gets out of the hole in seconds and gets over following seas with ease.

There you go Derby....go HOG BODY all the way :D:D:D and join the fleet...Fat bottom girls make the rockin world go round! [:p][:p]

Searun

th_067.jpg

A hog Body it is. Will let you know when I get the girl back home
Thansk To everyone for their input[8D][:p]:D

quote:Originally posted by Derby

A hog Body it is. Will let you know when I get the girl back home
Thansk To everyone for their input[8D][:p]:D
Good luck and safe trailering

Thanks for pointing that one out-I drop bye last week and took a quick look-Looked at Grady 232 yesterday-just need to dot the eye's get the paper work done.Look's like I will be bring home a fat bottem girl in a couple weeks.
Will post the pictures after everything is done.
:D[8D]:)

Nicely done. Where did you find her? That is a great hull and you wont be disappointed. I would advise checking the state of the fuel tanks. They tend to corrode over time and any grady that is over 15 years old I would have inspected. The ethanol blended fuels down south really eat them up.

The boat is being check out this week-The 250 -Yamaha on it is alright but a couple guys on this thread are correct that either two 150's or a 300hp 4 stroke is the way to go.:)

Hey Derby. Did you pick up the boat? Enquiring minds want to know. Looks like there will be a few more Grady's working the offshore this year.

The deal will be done on Weds-I'll post the pictures once it's done
Should have it home in a couple weeks after that once I get a new trailer under it.

Back