What do you folks think about this boat design?

Me too. I'd venture to guess that fully outfitted with power and trailer it's 100k.

I heard the hull blank alone as it sat the show was 55 g. The owner rigged out the first one for around 95 g. That is doing a lot of the work on his own.

I don't think this is out of line for a boat of this size. I could do it for less as only I can value my time.

Fishing offshore of the WCVI with like minded individuals, catching fish, having fun, relieving stress..............priceless:cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sculpin,

Sorry I didn't get to meet you on Saturday at the show, was back up Island doing some stuff with the family. I was talking to John on Sunday when I went back down to pick up the boat, and he said that one of the most common questions that he had was "what was the cost of the boat rigged"? Here are some numbers from my build, although they are from memory and not actual invoiced. I basically became the general contractor on the build, sourcing out my own products and prices, mainly wanted stuff that was compatible with equipment on the other boats that we run. This boat was rigged for chartering, so there are no stoves, dinettes, paint, or other non essentials. Adding built in heads (you will need holding tanks and pump out systems, we use a porta-potty, easy to remove and clean), propane stoves or heaters (special requirements for propane systems on passenger carrying vessels), custom upholstery, and paint can really add up the cost of the boat.

Hope this helps you in the future build, as you can see, it is the outfitting of the boat that really makes the price point.

20,500 aluminum (cut and shipped to the island, includes extrusions and scrap, you can sell the scrap back to them, but we found we used a fair amount of it as gussets and little extras that we added on as the build progressed)
24,000 labour (approx 300hrs at $80, shop time)
25,000 New twin 115 yami's with controls, gauges, fuel monitors, and stainless yami props
8,900 new trailer (5,400 used)
4,100 design (Cope blueprints and cut files)
3,800 ISO label (don't have to do if it is a private boat)
1,200 foam for hull
1,800 windows (sliders on the side)
1,300 seats and swivels
180 fuel line fittings and sending units
900 for two batteries and all wiring and switching to go with it (2 fuse panels, battery switches, marine wiring, dash mount switch panel, etc.)
1100 electronics (5" HDS, radio, ant, marine stereo)
400 bilge pump, wash-down pump, and macerator pump and misc piping
900 Forced diesel heater
950 trim tabs
1500 running lights, HD wipers, hydro steering for twins, racor fuel filter
360 permit for over-sized load (annually)
800 Misc stuff (over sized cleats, scuppers, hatch hinges and pulls, interior paneling, non skid decking, etc)

I am probably a little light with some of the numbes on some of the stuff, as I have a stock pile of gear and stuff for the other boats, most of the stuff is interchangeable with the other boats that I have, not to many suppliers up in my neck of the woods during the summer time:) Most of these numbers are from memory, so I probably screwed up somewhere. So as it adds up, not including a trailer, the cost for this build is around $88,000, not including taxes. Didn't include any of the riggers or rod holders, air collars, PLB's, safety gear, or fishing gear either, as these are not attached permanently to the boat. There is no labour added either for all the install of the electrical, lights, heater, seats, trim tabs, interior finishing, etc, this is where the savings come into the boat. There is probably a good week of install just on the basics of the boat, depending on your skill level. Aluminum prices vary, depending on the market, but we found it better to go with a quality cutter, as it will save shop time in the end.

Regards,

Fishyboy

I wish I had someone to keep sending me, 'What about this one <www.sweet boat for sale, bring $$>" links. In fact, I might start a thread...

Looks like this thread was abandoned for fishing reports and strategies once the season started, am I out of sync for looking into boats now instead of waiting till the winter doldrums?

This thread has been a good read but it is far from over. Sculpin, have you made any more progress? I assume you'll be going with twin engines on the back, will one of those be enough to get you up on plane?

I wish I had someone to keep sending me, 'What about this one <www.sweet boat for sale, bring $$>" links. In fact, I might start a thread...

Looks like this thread was abandoned for fishing reports and strategies once the season started, am I out of sync for looking into boats now instead of waiting till the winter doldrums?

This thread has been a good read but it is far from over. Sculpin, have you made any more progress? I assume you'll be going with twin engines on the back, will one of those be enough to get you up on plane?

The big boat dream is on hold for a few years. I am still planning and dreaming though. It will be a reality one day just not in the near future at this point.

I blew the lower end on my main motor and I am working some different angles right now on re-powering her. This will be a major set back for me :(. I love my current boat and have no regrets keeping her for now :).

Back