What do you folks think about this boat design?

Tried posting back but the new software for the forum is apparently touchy to certain words lol.

The price of small open top welded aluminum's are off the charts ridiculous. Someone should start making a few of these to fund his new project hint hint :)

The price of small open top welded aluminum's are off the charts ridiculous. Someone should start making a few of these to fund his new project hint hint :)

I don't know about that. That Silverstreak at Sherwood is a pretty good price me thinks. I'm not interested in boat building for profit (lol I know a couple of folks that tried building quality boats and there ain't no profit). I just want to build my own ideal battle ship in the future is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could build one of these: http://www.glacierboats.com/. They are the bigger versions of the proven Tolman Skiff from Alaska, but with some modifications to make it even more suitable for offshore. Although designed for stitch & glue plywood construction (lighter and pound for pound stronger than fibreglass or aluminum), one of the first to be built was made out of aluminum by a guy in Oregon. It's the one pictured in the web site. The beam is 8'6" and the boat can therefore be trailered without permits. Less deadrise than the Cope, but still a very seaworthy design that is geared for serious offshore fishing. Would also require less horsepower which means you don't break the bank running it. I'm going to build a 25 footer out of plywood.

You could build one of these: http://www.glacierboats.com/. They are the bigger versions of the proven Tolman Skiff from Alaska, but with some modifications to make it even more suitable for offshore. Although designed for stitch & glue plywood construction (lighter and pound for pound stronger than fibreglass or aluminum), one of the first to be built was made out of aluminum by a guy in Oregon. It's the one pictured in the web site. The beam is 8'6" and the boat can therefore be trailered without permits. Less deadrise than the Cope, but still a very seaworthy design that is geared for serious offshore fishing. Would also require less horsepower which means you don't break the bank running it. I'm going to build a 25 footer out of plywood.

I have seen those and followed them quite a bit years ago. I have Ren's book and have read it about 3 times. I am familiar with the Tolman's. They are really neat boats. I don't know about the stronger than aluminum thing. Do you have anything to back that up? (I can't prove other wise just curious).

Those glacierboats have really nice lines and I do like them. The size and layout is just not what I am after. When you start building it make sure you post up some pic's. That will be a cool project for sure.

Hi Sculpin,

The boat that you are looking at on Bruce Cope's website is one of the two that we had designed and built last year. Bruce has designed all of our boats (the original 17's, 18's, 19's with swim grid, and the new 26's). Bruce is awesome to work with, came up with some creative ideas for what we wanted, which was a boat that had to hold 6 people in the enclosed cab, have an enclosed head, full walk around deck, fish holds for 4 different guests, plus a large one in the floor, self bailing, and be built like a $hit brick house:) While the boat doesn't have all the fancy amenities like some of the production ones, it fits perfectly with what we need it for.

The 20deg hull is great for the offshore waters, and with the 12" reverse chines, you don't need a huge amount of power to get it up and running. We use twin 115hp yami's, although the perfect pair would be 150's. We use 115's on all the other boats and have had no problems with them in the last 7years (we replace engines every year though:) ). The 100 gal tank is a little small for the average user, we get two days running out of it before we get to the halfway mark on the tank. There is a big void in front of the existing tank, can put extra fuel or fresh water tanks in there. Running the wiring and cables was easier than most boats, we have 4" square tubing running the length of the hull, on either side of the fuel cell area, which end back in the pod or, as we did, under the back storage areas, which is where we located all the hydraulics, batteries, trim tab motors, macerater pump for the fish well, etc.

With 4 guys, full fuel, and a clean hull, we will get 34-5 knts out of it on a calm day. We fish mainly offshore, so speed is not as important to us as getting out of the hole. We cruise at around 22-24 knts at about 4400-4500rpms. Probably get a little better fuel ecconomy with the 150's, but the added cost per year on using 150's is greater that the fuel used. If we kept our engines for a few years, would probably go with the bigger blocks.

There are no engines on them right now, I will not be putting the new ones on until May or so, but feel free to contact me if you want to have a look at them while they are in my yard. The boat was delivered the day Bruce took those pictures, it has change since then - finished rub rails, rocket launchers, front rails, Diamond glaze windows, etc. Our guests who were on the boat (including a previous owner of Bayliner Ltd.) thought the boats did an awesome job out on the open water. While you will never get away from the weight a glass boat has in regards to cutting the swell, this boat does far better than other aluminum boats the I have had or been on, plus the very real savings of fuel costs and the lower rate of deprecation make having an aluminum, in my opinion:), better than glass, but each to there own. Having a 2lb lead weight thrashing around the side of a boat after a hali has been harpooned would really get me worried if I had a glass boat, wouldn't be more than a month or so before the side of the hull would be spider-ed with cracks in the glass.

I had a off-the-shelf aluminum production boat last year, and the difference is night and day between the two. My first two 17' aluminum boats that I bought off Bruce Cope are still in my yard, probably have over 12k hrs on the hull, and still in great shape. Don't think a production boat would get that many hours on it before it would need some serious work, especially if in a charter situation:)

Take care and if you would info on the boats, let me know:)

Regards,

Fishyboy

P.S. If you look behind the boat on Bruce's website, you can see boat #2 on the pallets, kind of weird to see a complete aluminum boat sitting in the piece form, every little piece was there, labeled and marked where to weld.

I think that wood has some advantages over aluminum because of its flexibility they call it duty cycles or something like that. Clipper craft boat were pretty dam tough!
77cf5511841a2878f156eef04ddcf5f3.jpg

Nice clipper craft

I have seen those and followed them quite a bit years ago. I have Ren's book and have read it about 3 times. I am familiar with the Tolman's. They are really neat boats. I don't know about the stronger than aluminum thing. Do you have anything to back that up? (I can't prove other wise just curious).

Those glacierboats have really nice lines and I do like them. The size and layout is just not what I am after. When you start building it make sure you post up some pic's. That will be a cool project for sure.

I will keep people posted once I start building. If I could, I'd build it out of aluminum, which is the most durable and maintenance free boat building material. I don't have the skills and it would be a lot more costly. Durability is different from strength and aluminum can take the most beating with the least amount of repair and maintenance.. But from a strength to weight perspective (and more weight in boating means more fuel, running or towing), plywood is stronger than steel, fibreglass or aluminium, especially when it is covered in epoxy resin and fibreglass. So while aluminum is light, for equivalent strength to plywood, it must be relatively thick and therefore heavier than plywood, even when the plywood is coated in epoxy and fibreglass. Hull weights for a 25-28 foot Great Alaskan (including pilothouse and cabin) are only 2200-2700 pounds and are designed to cruise at about 29 knots (WOT 38 knots) with 150-200 HP. My 25 footer with a single 150 HP will move fast and probably average 3-4 MPG, which is incredible for a boat that size.

Renn Tolman goes on about the various boat building materials in his book. Here's how Devlin Designing Boat Builders explain it on their web site:

http://devlinboat.com/stitchandglue.php

Hi Sculpin, here is a pic of it after the engines and most of the hardware (sounders, chart plotters, radio, seats, rod holders - note the temporary scotty rocket launchers:)) were installed. There are 6 guys on board, doing about 24knts. Picture take just outside the breakwater at French Creek. About 10' of water below us:)

fishyboy

Attachments

• resized  (1024x768).jpg
    resized (1024x768).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 494
The only thing I would add is to keep it light enough so that you can keep the power under 300 hp. Twin 150, 30mph calm water cruise.

Hi Sculpin, here is a pic of it after the engines and most of the hardware (sounders, chart plotters, radio, seats, rod holders - note the temporary scotty rocket launchers:)) were installed. There are 6 guys on board, doing about 24knts. Picture take just outside the breakwater at French Creek. About 10' of water below us:)

fishyboy

I know that boat... lol

Looks good...

fishyboy

attachment.php

That just reaks of awesomeness!

Either you guys are small or that boat is big! Great shot and thanks for posting it.

The boat you are looking to design is already running and fishing - give Trevor, NoBananas Fishing Charters a call.

The boat you are looking to design is already running and fishing - give Trevor, NoBananas Fishing Charters a call.

Looks kind of like Trev (Bananas) boat. I would ask him. I was on it last summer ( think we saw you zip by) awesome ride handles for good, and convenient with walk around. Not sure if that is the boat you are thinking... Thing has massive beam.

Not the same boat but very similar design and concept. Bananas boat is one of the reasons I started looking at walk arounds. I remember drooling the first time I saw the photos of her. I love the wider beam. I'm all about rear deck space.

Still in dream mode. Lot's of time to plan it out. Probably won't start building for a couple of years.

Just goofing off and stretched the boat by approx. 4 ft.

48f5649c-2a7d-41bb-b08f-4772142a2fcb_zpsa0ed3641.jpg

Again, just goofing off and doodling some stuff on her. Kind of changes the look if you put a bit of a combing on the roof. I thought I might as well add a radar, search light, life raft, and outriggers while I was at it LOL!!!

0f633b37-f59f-46f2-b539-a65b9245b38a_zps859c6354.jpg

You can see that the fuel tank could be moved back and there is enough room to add a second tank of similar size behind it. This way the cabin bulkhead could continue down all the way to the inside bottom of the hull and out to the sides of the hull to create a fully separate chamber in the back. The front ahead of the head lol could be done the same way to create a smaller chamber in the bow. A boat of this size does not require foam and it is already designed as a tub inside of a tub. I just want sealed chambers in the first tub so if one of them gets punctured the others will keep her from going down to Davey Jones locker per say.

Just having some fun...........

Back