What do you eat with your salmon?

Jockey

As a family we have been trying to eat salmon twice a week because it is healthy and our freezer is full of it. Not to mention the more we eat the better excuse I have for additional fishing trips.

Anyways the salmon dinners are getting a little stale we usually have salmon with rice, we also do salmon burgers that are covered in a cajun fish spice and we have done fish sticks a couple of times. I have looked at a bunch of the recipe's on this seciton of the forum and plan to try a few but I am also wondering what does everyone eat with their fish besides rice and french fries?

I guess we could try doing a seafood chowder (is that even good with salmon? I can't picture a salmon soup) and I also have a recipe idea for salmon ceasar salad instead of chicken ceasar salad but have not tried it yet. What else goes good with salmon?

Are you asking about accompaniments (side dishes) to the dinner or "how" the salmon is cooked?

Jockey: If I(or my wife) is baking a salmon dinner I like to do baked potatoes with the salmon in the oven (need to start potatoes ahead). I like sour cream, butter, and thin sliced scallions with the potatoes. For the other vegetable(s) I like gently cooked frozen peas, steamed brocolli, or other green vegetable. A tossed green salad would go well with the baked salmon also.

...Rob

Pippen I am asking about side dishes I know how to cook the fish and have good recipe's and there are others on this site that I look forward to trying. Just getting bored with the same ol "insert type of salmon" on rice, or burgers etc.

Veggies as mentioned above are good too but hopefully some others have some different ideas.

Caesar salad
Garlic Bread
Any recipe for asian salads goes well
Zuchinni topped with crab and cheese

Pippen I am asking about side dishes I know how to cook the fish and have good recipe's and there are others on this site that I look forward to trying. Just getting bored with the same ol "insert type of salmon" on rice, or burgers etc.

Veggies as mentioned above are good too but hopefully some others have some different ideas.

If you are looking for a "starch" subsitute for rice...here are some ideas.

Risotto is great with salmon.....we make it from scratch but you can buy "out of the box" varieties you'll find in the section of the grocery store with all the seasoned rice/Uncle Ben's type stuff that Demco is referring to. We make various ones from just using plain arborio rice/risotto....mushroom or lemon and fresh herbs etc. There are lots of varieties in the grocery store out of the box like parmesan, herbed, tomato....I think one of the companies that makes it is Lundberg or something like that. If you google risotto recipes you'll find plenty of good ones on the Food Network website and many, many others...but for a quick fix the "out of the box" stuff is pretty darn good!

I really like to do a spin on roasted potatos. Take some baby red or white's and boil them in salted (sea salt) water til they are just starting to get soft...don't cook the crap out of them. Then...put them on a cookie sheet and take a fork and mash them down ever so slightly so they still stay together but look a bit "smashed". This is why you don't want to cook the crap out of them as they'll just fall apart....you want them to hold together but crunch down a bit. Then once you have them spread over a cookie sheet drizzle them with some olive oil and add some fresh herbs; rosemary, sage...whatever you like. Also add some salt and fresh ground pepper. Put them in the oven and then roast them at about 375 til they start to become golden brown and crisp up a bit....they are outstanding and a great twist on just regular "roasted" spuds.

We sometimes do up barley with various herbs/veggies mixed in. You just take the raw grain that you can buy at supermarkets and make it similar to rice in that it is slow cooked using water/chicken broth/white wine. We are both pretty good in the kitchen so we do quite a bit of experimenting.

Quinoa is another grain that is VERY easy to make....basically just add hot water and let it steam with some herbs and you can add in all sorts of veggies like bell peppers, peas etc. We tend to cook the veggies before adding them into the quinoa right before serving it.

We don't eat a lot of pasta in our house but occasionally we'll make it very simple using something like linguine noodles. Saute some garlic, onions, olive oil, sundried tomatoes and even black olives in a pan (be sure not to burn the garlic); then just toss the pasta in it and "voila"...you've got a pretty simple pasta dish to go as an accompaniment.

One GREAT way to do a veggie I was never much fussed on when it is boiled is oven roasted asparagus. Just break it up and toss it in olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Put in an oven around 350 or so and keep an eye on it....it will become a very bright green and just as the florets start to brown pull it out of the oven and enjoy. Since I started doing brocolli this way it has become one of my favourite veggies to eat....awesome flavour.

I have tons of great recipes for veggies.....we tend to eat only fresh veggies and get creative. For almost all the veggies we eat though they are done on the BBQ (you can buy veggies baskets for the BBQ that are very helpful) or we roast them as this always intensifies the flavour.

Hopefully some of this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a family we have been trying to eat salmon twice a week because it is healthy and our freezer is full of it. Not to mention the more we eat the better excuse I have for additional fishing trips.

Anyways the salmon dinners are getting a little stale we usually have salmon with rice, we also do salmon burgers that are covered in a cajun fish spice and we have done fish sticks a couple of times. I have looked at a bunch of the recipe's on this seciton of the forum and plan to try a few but I am also wondering what does everyone eat with their fish besides rice and french fries?

I guess we could try doing a seafood chowder (is that even good with salmon? I can't picture a salmon soup) and I also have a recipe idea for salmon ceasar salad instead of chicken ceasar salad but have not tried it yet. What else goes good with salmon?

Salmon chowder is awesome! I will be making a few batches with some of the frozen fillets I have in my freezer in November. I found this recipe online last year and used it to make chowder with sockeye. Everyone, and I mean everyone that tried it absolutely loved it. I still get asked when I'm going to make it again.

Here is the original link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/salmon-chowder/detail.aspx

Here is the slightly modified recipe I use:

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 cups diced potatoes
2 carrots, diced
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 lbs of salmon fillets
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic until onions are tender. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, pepper, and dill. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.

Cook salmon as you'd like, I bake it in the oven for 10 minutes per inch at 500 with some lemon wedges, butter and dill.

Stir in salmon, evaporated milk and cheese. Cook until heated through.

Nice chowder recipe trendsetter:cool:. I love making chowders. Fresh salmon frames are great to use for chowders. I like making chowder out of left overs as well to stretch it out so to speak.

Salmon chowders are great. Try adding a can of creamed corn to the chowder. It really goes well and I like color contrasts in the dishes I cook.

corn on the knob, and grilled mixed bag o veggies,peppers,asparagus,shrooms,zuke, etc,,

I'm always on the lookout for recipes for different ways to prepare fish -- not just same old with different spices, but completely different presentation I'd never think of. When I try a new one that works, I post it up here:
http://www.fishingportrenfrew.ca/recipes.html

I find you can substitute salmon and halibut in all of them, just as good either way.

Enjoy!

PS and a nod to Wolf, this one is excellent...though did it with halibut.
http://www.bluewolfcharters.com/cream_cheese_salmon.htm

Okay.....are we sharing salmon/fish "recipes"......or was the whole point of this thread "accompaniments"???

I am lost....there are salmon recipes on here....chowder.....veggie recipes........

www.foodnetwork.ca

Jockey,

Salmon definitely goes well in chowder, and what I posted on the thread below is a great use for ground salmon (that I scrape with a spoon off the frame), or even salmon that has burrowed its way into the bottom of the freezer for a long time. I actually found a few packages of sockeye from last season hiding in the bottom of the freezer, and made the potato crusted salmon mentioned on this forum. Both the salmon and dill sauce were excellent. I added a good bit of fresh grated parmesan to the potatoes for a bit of zing, and used a good dollop of wasabi instead of horseradish. The potato topping had a bit of green hue to it which was kinda neat and weird at the same time. ;)

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?15808-How-about-some-ground-salmon-recipes

I also tend to grill an extra piece of salmon, and bring it work for lunch. I kind of crumble it over a salad (green, caesar, whatever), and its very tasty. Certainly freshly grilled and still warm salmon is great on a salad too. Like the chicken caesar you were referring to.

I have also made salmon salad sandwiches this way too (cold grilled salmon). Beats the pants off the canned stuff.

Happy cooking!

My vote goes to ceasar salad, garlic bread, and baked potatoe or risotto. Cold amber ale like Rickards Red. Pretty simple, but my favourite meal with fresh barbqued sockeye

Back