What do you drive???

Sitkaspruce

The wife and I are looking for a New/Newer truck to pull the boat with. The old Toyota (92) has just about died, she will be good for hunting and 4x4ing, but not for pulling the boat.

What do you drive and pass on any pro/cons about your truck, or maybe car[:0];).

Also any suggestions on where to buy, Island or lower mainland.

The boat is a 18" Hewescraft, ~ weight will be around 3800 lbs

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Drive a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Ken, and she loves her gas...but pulls our Campion with no problem and little additional gas above and beyond what she usually chugs.

For the Pursuit, we use my Mom's 08 F350 diesel (I don't know how she managed to score the F350...but I still manage to convince her to drive it [:p]). I can tell you this is one of the nicest trucks out there...did a lot of research for her before she bought it and the majority of the features of the Ford were superior (now, lets not let this thread get into a ford/gm/chevy sucks debate). You can put it in cruise control at 90km/h up large hills, and she doesn't even blink an eye with the 12500 lbs Pursuit behind her. Clearly you don't need that...but an F250, or even F150 would be great for your boat. Can't say enough good things about the Ford...not one maintenance issue yet...but with the Dodge it has pretty much been non stop.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

I drive a 2000 F350 Powerstroke diesel. Pulls the 26' Hourston with a camper on the back no problem. It will pull the stink out of a fart, and if you keep your foot out of it, averages 15MPG city, and darn near 18-19 highway. Of course, if you like watching it horn' out the black smoke with the chip in it, the mileage tanks.

But any decent half ton would handle your boat just fine.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

'08 F350 Powerstroke Diesel same as SerengetiGuide.......... I now own the big hill on the way to Port Alberni....:D Great unit. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

06 GMC 1 ton dually duramax diesel. Best mileage 21 worst 12 towing my wolf 30' coastal cruiser at 110 km. Good market for buying any truck if you have money.
I like the options better on the ford but the service sucks up here, same with dodge and the gm service is very good and I go by the adage that if it has tits or wheels your gonna have trouble sooner later.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I would suggest buying on the lower mainland instead of the island! I just bought a 07 F-150 4x4 super cab and saved a ton of cash...Trucks on the island are way more expensive.
my 2 cents

Cheers

quote:eek:r maybe car.

A car???? Surely you jest!!!How you going to get the bear fat and deer blood off the seats???? REALLY!!! [8D]

I am maxed out on my Chev 2500 when pulling the Cuba libre and carrying the old Vanguard... that one ton would sure be nice...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

3230286480_8ec02cd59f.jpg

04' F350 Diesel. Nothing but praise for Steve Marshall. They put the lift in it too.

Take only what you need.

We have a 05 f250 with the v10 and its not the best thing on gas, but HAULS A$$, wow if you want to talk power come over for a ride. Very impressed with the truck, and has a 12500? lb tow capacity. tow our ~9000lb grady with no troubles and can easily accelerate going over the malahat on any hill. we servie at ken evans and have nothing but good things to say about them, very good to work with, especially since we didnt buy the truck from them.

My wife has a 2008 Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder CRD diesel that I get to use to pull a 18 ft double eagle when loaded with fuel may top out around 4000 lbs. Hardly notice the boat behind, 10 L/100 km daily driving, 11.5 L/100 km pulling the boat.

I've been very happy with my '96 F150 in terms of very few repair bills over the years. 190,000km and going strong still. You could pick a similar one up for about $3500 or less. The only downside is its 2wd and steep or slimy launch ramps can be tricky. 4x4 would be better.
F350 4x4 diesel would be much better.

08 silverado hd2500 pulls my hewes with the camper on easily. I haul the whole unit from Osoyoos to the mainland/island about 10 times a year. Cost in fuel with the prices of last summer was about $85 each way, sure nice to have the Allison tranny for the big hills of the Hope Princeton.
P1000747.jpg

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Hi guys it's been awhile,I haul travel trailers and boats for a living.I really did a lot of looking around to see what the other transporters use,and company ideas.About 75% use the dodge3/4 and 1 ton.I have the 5.9 engine,with 170000 miles.The ford and chevy are also great trucks They all have their quirks.Dodge came out with the 6.7 computer problems with certain lot #s The ford 6.0 is problematic for some.The duramac is good but injector problems might arise.They all look nice,Fords interior is hard to beat.You should get the best fuel milage in the dodge seeing it's a 6 banger.20-22 depending on fuel,speed temp. my 2bits

thanks the runt

I think there are alot of great trucks out there... but its worthwhile doing some research to pick one that best suits your needs. We pull an '08 Hewescraft searunner 220 hardtop/extended transom for fishing, and a 30' Glendale Golden Falcon 5th wheel for touring and "snowbirding" (a "new" grandson just arrived yesterday to join our other 3 "young" fishermen... will be heading to the sun when everyone gets settled in). We tow with an '05 GMC 2500 HD 6.6L Duramax and the truck is a great fit for our needs. The Allison Transmission is excellent when winding down the long mountain passes... towing down the Coquihalla with the 5th wheel in tow (approx. 14000lbs) it gears down and holds the speed with little or no braking... also easily pulls the load up that hill... same performance in the long passes down south. Economy with no tow on the highway averages around 15 - 15.5L /100Km. Towing 5th wheel... averaging between 17 and 20L / 100Km.
We've had no problems with the truck to date. I'd also respectfully suggest that if you're into towing serious weight, diesel outfits make good sense for alot of reasons.

'07 Tundra, overkill for hauling my small (16', 1100 pound hull weight) boat, but the new Tundras are rated to 10,500 pounds for towing.
It doesn't hurt to look in the States for a pickup.
Dollar is down now but prices can be pretty good, although you have to go further south into the states, rather than just a quick hop across the border, to find a really good deal.

Back