What boat checks all these boxes

Great deal on a diesel Osprey 30 in connetticut . I 'm thinking you are an owner at $70,000. I was going to pull the trigger on it but gave money to the kid instead.

Those Osprey's are very nice boats. While those would be a step up in terms of fish-ability, it would be a step backwards in terms of space and room for the family as the interior is actually much smaller than the 288 we have today.

That guy who has the Osprey 30 for sale in Alaska (posted above) needs to give his head a shake. Did you see the condition of the boat? He's taken the time to post photos of all the stains, mold, dirt and terrible condition he keeps his boat in. And I saw all that from spending 3 minutes looking at pictures -- can you imagine what it looks like in person. When a boat is listed in such poor cosmetic condition, it always makes me wonder if the guy treats the engines and other components with such disregard. You want $99KUSD for your boat -- spend a weekend and detail the damn thing or lop $40K off the pricetag! Compare it to that same Osprey in CT -- looks pristine (and is $20K cheaper with twin diesels) -- which will sell first...

Those Osprey's are very nice boats. While those would be a step up in terms of fish-ability, it would be a step backwards in terms of space and room for the family as the interior is actually much smaller than the 288 we have today.

That guy who has the Osprey 30 for sale in Alaska (posted above) needs to give his head a shake. Did you see the condition of the boat? He's taken the time to post photos of all the stains, mold, dirt and terrible condition he keeps his boat in. And I saw all that from spending 3 minutes looking at pictures -- can you imagine what it looks like in person. When a boat is listed in such poor cosmetic condition, it always makes me wonder if the guy treats the engines and other components with such disregard. You want $99KUSD for your boat -- spend a weekend and detail the damn thing or lop $40K off the pricetag! Compare it to that same Osprey in CT -- looks pristine (and is $20K cheaper with twin diesels) -- which will sell first...

It seems like you see boats not in top condition all the time for sale. I agree take the time and a little money to make it spotless when putting up for sale.

Yup the Osprey is built primarily to fish that's for sure. Saw the comments on the Commander 30, my buddy had one. Really a nice boat, the older volvos were a little smokey for his liking so he replaced them. He stepped down and sold it to an American for big money. They really keep their value. Im thinking A guy wants to stay with the lower profile Boat for WCVI, wouldn't be much fun out on the bank in something top heavy. Givin any thought to an older Bayliner 38 or 45 to leave on the beach and tow a 26 behind? Friend of mine in La Connor did that with his teen daughter, he loved them girls BUT sometimes just had to leave them on the big boat for his own sanity!

30 commander. I have been lucky enough to spend some time on one wow unreal boats. My buddy is redoing one right now he got it a month ago from where you are talking.

Ohh man... That link to all those Sea Sports. Almost had me drooling. Something about those SeaSport Pilot boats. Just such a cool design and layout. Heavy though I imagine - but practical as an all-rounder, but as for fishing and overall maneuverability I can see that being a bit of a compromise for the comfort you may need.

Just remember: There is no such thing as the "perfect boat", but you can get close!

Ohh man... That link to all those Sea Sports. Almost had me drooling. Something about those SeaSport Pilot boats. Just such a cool design and layout. Heavy though I imagine - but practical as an all-rounder, but as for fishing and overall maneuverability I can see that being a bit of a compromise for the comfort you may need.

Just remember: There is no such thing as the "perfect boat", but you can get close!

Do a search on the Sea Sport 3200 -- that's another high on my WANT list, but price is out of my ballpark. Catamaran hull with twin diesels.

30 commander. I have been lucky enough to spend some time on one wow unreal boats. My buddy is redoing one right now he got it a month ago from where you are talking.

Would be great to connect with your buddy. I've got my eye on one right now -- always good to have someone layout the items to pay close attention to.

Did he by chance buy the one that was listed in Blaine WA? I went to visit that one back in the summer -- I had made a couple of offers to trade mine boat plus some cash for it but current owner just wanted cash. It was a funny deal as the current owner took it on a trade for a 43' yacht so he could buy a 60' yacht and had never seen nor step foot on the rig. The price was around $US65K to reflect some much needed cleanup required on the boat and probably would have taken much less. Had a newer set of engines put into it around 2004. Boat was a bit rough in terms of care, but mostly just cleaning and attention required.

Pretty hard to beat the 30-40 foot armstong cats! So stable and lots of beam

Last edited by a moderator:
Food for thought.
Have you considered a larger boat with a decent sized tow behind. I'm imagining a 1995 32' Bayliner and a 19' mauntauk or outrage. Moor the big one and trailer the small one.

Finding a used 30' of one of these is probably very tough and under 100K likely tougher but thought of this boat after your first post. Always liked these myself but have never researched them to any degree...

http://www.cutwaterboats.com/

This is wayyyy beyond reality but just gotta post this one : If you ( or I) ever come into a ton of money these are local and absolutely beautiful Aluminum boats ( and I am a glass guy!) I often do transient Mooring in Gibson's Marina near a 40 and a 50 when I visit family up at Gibson's. Stunning craft indeed.

http://www.coastalcraft.com/portfolios/coastal-craft-400-ips-overview/

how about a twin diesel 30' commander priced well within your limit and semi local (BC)?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...on/1037575571?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Yes, I've spoken to this gentleman. Longtime owner -- has entered a partnership on another 30 Commander with his fishing buddy. Sounds like the boat is well cared for, but, engines and legs are high-milers -- 2800 hours. One engine was completely rebuilt -- which leads me to believe the other is due now. May be worth a further discussion.

any luck calling Calibre at mosquito creek yet? like i say they had 2

Finding a used 30' of one of these is probably very tough and under 100K likely tougher but thought of this boat after your first post. Always liked these myself but have never researched them to any degree...

http://www.cutwaterboats.com/

This is wayyyy beyond reality but just gotta post this one : If you ( or I) ever come into a ton of money these are local and absolutely beautiful Aluminum boats ( and I am a glass guy!) I often do transient Mooring in Gibson's Marina near a 40 and a 50 when I visit family up at Gibson's. Stunning craft indeed.

http://www.coastalcraft.com/portfolios/coastal-craft-400-ips-overview/
It's funny you say Cutwater boats Peahead. I have never heard of them till yesterday at the boat show. Looked at all of them very nice boats.

Port Boathouse has a nice,well appointed Skagit Orca 27 footer.
If I lived closer to the West Coast and could fish more times a year that would be the boat for me.

Back