What 14 to 16 foot Aluminum Boat would you buy and why.

tinboatrobb

We are looking to buy a 14 to 16 foot open aluminum boat,motor and trailer package new. With so many to choose from I am asking for some feedback
about what you have expierience with and what dealer on Vancouver Island you recommend. This boat will be used for fishing in both fresh and salt water. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

I think you need to narrow it down a bit. You can go riveted or welded aluminum, do you plan on using it for mostly inside waters or peeking offshore if its nice? Budget?

I think you need to narrow it down a bit. You can go riveted or welded aluminum, do you plan on using it for mostly inside waters or peeking offshore if its nice? Budget?

Inshore, Oak Bay, Vic waterfront etc, prefer welded but could go riveted. looking at around 5000$ for a budget.

Your not going to be looking new for that price range. Could find a decent rivetted boat motor trailer package used i would guess

You won't be able to get a welded boat new for that price and I'm not sure you can get a riveted one new for that price ether.for a new open welded boat in that size your looking at 15-20k from what I've seen.

I'd start by going to a Lund dealer and have a look at the SSV14 or SSV16............they have package deals on these.....and the boats have a splashwell on them that many other aluminums in that price range don't have.

Overall price depends on how many bells and whistles you want.

The SSV16 is walkthrough.........not solid bench seats which are a pain in the rearend when playing a fish....

2012_16Wideboy_Trailer_L-1024x531.jpg 5,588.OO. Complete package. Constructed to Aircraft grade aluminum and riveting. Lifetime warranty to never leak.

I really like these smaller lightweight alloy's.

http://www.klamathboats.com/boatPages/utility/

They are welded. They have an up swept bow design (nicer for the ocean) and optional handrails.
I have only looked at the larger models but I'm sure you could find some deals down South of us on the smaller models.

I would try Boattrader, the ifish forum classified's, Craigslist etc.

In the riveted department you have Smokercrafts that have a similar up swept bow design with higher sides ( again nicer for ocean use) than a lot of the other manufacturer's in this size range.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Lund SSV 14 with a 20 Honda 4 stroke. I fish Vic waterfront with it. It's exceeded my expectations for stability. A great little rig.

My budget was 5k, I picked this one up for 3600. Nice trailer, boat and motor in great shape. I bought it three years ago. The boat is a 2002, the motor a 2004.

I wanted a welded boat... rarer than hen's teeth in the used market. I looked for close to a year and begrudgingly settled on the riveted boat. But it's honestly been great.

I would buy used. There are many deals to be had on this class of boat. Check for serial numbers in place, manufacturers capacity plates.

Some people may get a little peeved at me for saying this, but riveted aluminum boats are worth a LOT less than they are from new retail a short time after they are new and in the boat market, this product is well past it's mature stage. Expect a very fast depreciation. You are buying material and metal workmanship...and little else.

I am just saying....there are TONS for sale over the course of the season. Welded boats to a lesser extent but anyways, look around and don't buy new and save yourself a lot of money.

Klamath great boats ,i just bought a used one on the island ,i got lucky .craigslist

Like has already been mentioned......if your budget is $5000 then you will probably looking at riveted boats. That will be fine for the types of fishing that you mention in my opinion? I had a 15 ' SilverStreak built about 4 years ago. I think the hull and trailer.....taxes etc were close to $9000. Their prices are on-line. I bought a 25hp Yamaha longshaft FS for it and rigged it myself with battery box and switch to save a few bucks. But all in it was around $15000. But it is a tank and a big 15 ' boat. I looked at the Lunds and they looked good at the time. Since this was a second boat for me I wanted something that I didn't have to worry about too much and would last a long time so I thought welded was the way to go. There aren't as many of that style boats around the coast but lots in the interior and even Alberta. Good luck.....

I have a 15ft welded Gregor down here in Baja. Welded aluminum with Baja beach wheels welded on. It is 26 years old and even after many years of being launched over beaches and pounded on shore-it is still a tank. Would make a fabulous boat for in-shore waters.

We have looked at a 14 foot welded Lowe aluminum. Anyone have one or know much about them. The boat seemed very solid and well built. Also looked at a new Suzuki 4 stroke, any thoughts on that? Thanks

Smokercraft Alaskan 15 is the same boat that i previously owned. It was called a Sylvan back in the 1990's. I just looked online and it looks like Salmon Arm is the closest dealer. They are a riveted aluminum that are wide and deep for their size.

Well let this be my first post.. I am being posted from the east coast and when I get settled I plan on picking up a 16ft a Vmod jon boat package, I am looking at buying new but have been scouring the used boats looking for a decent deal. The reason for the boat is im looking for a big enough platform to fly fish from as well as duck hunt with. The design of a jon boat makes it easy to fab your own blind and quite easy to modify the layout to suit your needs.

Back