West Coast Guides Association

searun

A small group of us got together today to discuss the current Halibut crisis and the potential future implications of this issue spilling over into the Salmon and Prawn Fishery. We quickly realized that these issues are complicated and as guides we needed to become better informed and have the ability to speak with one voice to improve our effectiveness. We also realized there is a need for us to network and help one another to deliver a quality service for our guests.

At the conclusion of our meeting, we agreed to work together to start a guide association for the central west coast of the Island covering Port Alberni, Bamfield, Ucluelet and Tofino. Once we get organized, there is always good prospects for further networking with other guide associations on the South Island, Campbell River and Comox.

We are tentatively working toward a meeting in Port Alberni on Wednesday February 2nd at 7 p.m. - likely at Clutesi Haven Marina in the upper boardroom. The concept we are working on is any guide who operates a vessel with a C number can join. To help with meeting room cost, stationary etc. we are looking at a small annual fee (probably $20).

As we are in the formative stages, we would be very interested in hearing from other members of guide associations with their ideas on how your association is organized, meets, networking associations, issues and services etc. Anyone who is interested in attending you can PM me, and I will post the final meeting arrangements once we have them finalized.

Thanks, Searun

We are tentatively working toward a meeting in Port Alberni on Wednesday February 2nd at 7 p.m. - likely at Clutesi Haven Marina in the upper boardroom.

Let us know if or when that firms up. I'll be there...

Cheers,
Nog

Thats a great idea! theres a few of us on the south island that have been talking about that for the last few years,but thats about as far as it's ever gone.

Thanks for the support. I have had several private messages with folks who are interested. We now have the upper boardroom at Clutesi Haven Marina booked for next Wednesday February 2 at 7 p.m. Would appreciate if you know anyone who is potentially interested to pass along the meeting info. Will post new info as it comes available.

The halibut issue was a wake up call for us to step back and get organized.

We would love to hear from anyone who has prior experience with how to make a guides association effective. Gill, I will give you a call - have a list of guys to call tonight.

give Darrin at Island Outfitters a call, we talked last week about it, or just get together amongst yourselves and keep us from other guides assoc informed.....lets all work together.....we have a common goal there in no doubting that.....

Thanks for the support. I have had several private messages with folks who are interested. We now have the upper boardroom at Clutesi Haven Marina booked for next Wednesday February 2 at 7 p.m. Would appreciate if you know anyone who is potentially interested to pass along the meeting info. Will post new info as it comes available.

The halibut issue was a wake up call for us to step back and get organized.

We would love to hear from anyone who has prior experience with how to make a guides association effective. Gill, I will give you a call - have a list of guys to call tonight.

thx Pat....on the 800 if you want

This is good to see. Since I'm not a guide I can't join, but it would be great if you were to post meeting details on the site to spread best practices across the board and to keep others informed. This is the type of organizing I talked about in my post on the CR halibut meeting.

Good luck with this and there is strength in numbers.

Count me in.

hey Pat just spoke with a number of guides and answered 12 pm's......looks like a full house...how many seats are there at
Clutesi Haven Marina.....can't believe how fast words getting around.....shoulda done this years ago....talk to you on the weekend

Thats a great idea! theres a few of us on the south island that have been talking about that for the last few years,but thats about as far as it's ever gone.

Tx Trevor, we could easily expand this concept quickly with different chapters all across the Island. Who knows where the concept will take us, but one thing I know is there is strength in numbers when we work cooperatively together.

hey Pat just spoke with a number of guides and answered 12 pm's......looks like a full house...how many seats are there at
Clutesi Haven Marina.....can't believe how fast words getting around.....shoulda done this years ago....talk to you on the weekend

Outstanding! The upper boardroom can seat around 60 guys if we organize the seating. Please help us get the word out. No telling what we can accomplish when we work together.

An update on our meeting. I have attached below the draft agenda so you can get a sense of what we have planned. We will need to get down to the business of forming an association quickly, and thereafter we have Owen Bird and Deryk Krefting coming from the SFI to provide brief updates on some topical items of interest to guides.

Going forward, once we have the nuts and bolts of forming the Association our plan would be to ensure we have good quality guest speakers at future meetings to bring guides up to speed on topical issues with good quality information. This should allow us to be more effective in speaking with one voice on issues impacting our fishery, and work together toward improving the quality experience of our guests.

We would appreciate if forum members could fan out an invite to attend to any guides you know who would be interested in attending/joining the Association.

Here is the draft agenda:

West Coast Guide’s Association

Meeting Place: Clutesi Haven Marina Boardroom - Port Alberni

Time: 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Chair: Paul Dore

Agenda Item Lead Time

1. Introductions (round table) Paul Dore 7:00 – 7:10

2. Opening Remarks David Murphy/Pat Ahern 7:10 – 7:20

3. Forming an Association David Murphy 7:20 – 7:30

4. Structure/meetings/service area Pat Ahern 7:30 – 7:40

5. Fees/dues Pat Ahern 7:40 – 7:45

6. Election of Officers David Murphy 7:45 – 8:00

7. Membership sign up Paul Dore 8:00 – 8:05

8. Association with SFI David Murphy 8:05 – 8:10

9. SFI Membership overview Owen Bird 8:10 – 8:20

10. CTAG Program overview Owen Bird 8:20 – 8:30

11. Halibut Issue Update Deryk Krefting 8:30 – 8:40

12. Q&A/Closing Remarks David Murphy 8:40 – 9:00

It's a great idea Pat!

I will join for sure, not certain about this Wednesdays meeting, I will be in Vancouver for the weekend and not sure when I return, will try to sched so I can be there.

Thanks.

Pat-- Why not squeeze some more letters from the guys that have NOT taken the time to write letters.... It will give you an idea who the committed ones are....... just a thought!

Pat-- Why not squeeze some more letters from the guys that have NOT taken the time to write letters.... It will give you an idea who the committed ones are....... just a thought!

Yes absolutely, we will have copies of sample letters and will be asking folks to please write.

stickers

hali sticker.jpg

I will have these at the meeting tonight 6x6 for a nominal fee to cover expenses probably $2.50 each

We are trying to organize a contingent from Tofino but we only heard about it last night, so no promises on the numbers

Back