West Coast Fishing Guide Association Meeting

IronNoggin

WCFGLogo.jpg

Time: 3 – 5 p.m. Sunday February 26

Driving Directions:
Driving from Parksville, drive down Highway 4, towards the Somas river. Turn left at the lights on Johnston & Gertrude then drive to the lights on Roger turn left follow Roger up the hill and cross the lights on Tenth, drive three more blocks on Roger then turn left on Vimy (corner of Stadium) follow to end of Vimy and park on left, look for second door on the building. (we will be there to direct folks into correct door). Vimy is a dead end road, so you can't miss the building.

There have been a number of very critical developments in recent days. We are asking all WCFGA members to make a special effort to attend this meeting. We are especially concerned about the recent Halibut situation, and we have a very important proposal to put to our members which will hopefully put us in a position to take action on behalf of members.

Please bring any non-member guides to this meeting - call all members you know to remind them of this meeting please. We will be taking membership applications at the meeting for 2012 - fees are $20.

Previously we had arranged to have the Go2Fish staff plus an Assessor for CTAG attend our meeting to put on a workshop to help members who have questions regarding their application to Challenge the CTAG. We will proceed with this workshop, but will have it go first up on the agenda so we have the remaining time in the meeting to address other business.

Agenda Items:
1. CTAG Challenge Information Session

2. Harvest Round Table Committee Report & Halibut Update

3. West Coast Aquatic

4. WCFGA Membership purchase discount program

5. Marine First Aid - course offering announcement

6. Ucluelet Harbour Moorage Restrictions (Blue Decal required for moorage in 2012)

7. Meeting frequency

8. Info on Trailering Issues

Rather IMPORTANT One Ladz!! Hope to see you all there!

Note: This is not a public meeting, rather a meeting of the Guide's Association members. Any Island Guide who may be interested is of course encouraged to attend!!

Together, we ARE Making A Difference!! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Tx Nog. Two big issues we are dealing with are CTAG workshop for members, plus we are sitting down to come to an agreement on a series of options for changes to the angling regulations which will keep the fishery open until the end of August.

Way to far to away to make it today.
I would like to get some info on some of the Adgenda items if possible Matt, plus I want to pay dues, if you And I can chat later, that would work.

Tx Nog. Two big issues we are dealing with are CTAG workshop for members, plus we are sitting down to come to an agreement on a series of options for changes to the angling regulations which will keep the fishery open until the end of August.

Really, you mean your group might have some thoughts on what they would propose for them.
Guess you will be moving that thought to the sfab for their consideration?

Really, you mean your group might have some thoughts on what they would propose for them.
Guess you will be moving that thought to the sfab for their consideration?

Correct and Correct OBD.
The way the numbers currently sit, if we simply fish to that number at the 1 & 2 rate, our season will end ~ mid-August. Already been informed there is NO possibility of allowing another over-run as occurred last season.
So, some brainstorming was necessary to come up with a few suggestions to keep the season rolling into ~ mid-September (at the earliest saw-off) that won't be too hard on everyone involved...

More to follow later...

Good Turn-Out Gentz (& Ladies!). Great to see everyone there! :)

Cheers,
Nog

Hey LC, glad to have you join in. $20 for membership. We are currently sitting at around 80 members with the new joiners today. We are at present one of the largest active Guide Associations, and there is real strength in the ability to speak with one voice on our issues...the more the merrier. I can send you a membership application form if you pm me.

OBD, yes we do have a plan we are taking forward through appropriate channels. We are working to coordinate that effort. We believe that there is a way for all sports anglers to work together to live within the current allocation cap and ensure we can all fish until the end of August and hopefully to September 15. There are plenty of options that help us stretch out the current allocation so we can address this season, and continue efforts to improve our situation via other methods for the seasons to follow. Our immediate focus is to work on this season and our objective to have a fishery that extends to September 15.

Our key is to work together.

Of course as Derby says, OBD do you have any suggestions or options that will get us to the objective of extending the current season utilizing the allocation we presently enjoy?

In reading the post i replied to, it was not clear you were going to work with the Sfab or go on your own.
This is not the place to discuss ideals or plans as your competition is watching all the posts.
It will be interesting to see what DFO does with this file.

Hey LC, glad to have you join in. $20 for membership. We are currently sitting at around 80 members with the new joiners today. We are at present one of the largest active Guide Associations, and there is real strength in the ability to speak with one voice on our issues...the more the merrier. I can send you a membership application form if you pm me.

OBD, yes we do have a plan we are taking forward through appropriate channels. We are working to coordinate that effort. We believe that there is a way for all sports anglers to work together to live within the current allocation cap and ensure we can all fish until the end of August and hopefully to September 15. There are plenty of options that help us stretch out the current allocation so we can address this season, and continue efforts to improve our situation via other methods for the seasons to follow. Our immediate focus is to work on this season and our objective to have a fishery that extends to September 15.

Our key is to work together.

Of course as Derby says, OBD do you have any suggestions or options that will get us to the objective of extending the current season utilizing the allocation we presently enjoy?

Well if hes like me, he doesnt know what to think about guides and lodges regarding halibut anymore.

Whoa! Easy there Big Fella!
Nothing nefarious is going on Lorne! This was simply a meeting of the minds as it were to try and figure out a option or two to ensure we all see our halibut season run through all of August and into September. And there were quite a few decent ideas being tossed around that have potential to positively effect extending the duration of This Season for Everyone.

The core values have NOT changed! And IMO they never will.
NO consideration of buying into the quota scheme was ever on the table, except to briefly note everyone's agreed opposition to this foolishness. This is/was not even considered a far-flung option.
Efforts WILL continue towards the realization of a Fair & Equitable Solution which will provide Stability and Certainty of Season for future years. And of course, that means moving forward on those issues immediately, and strong follow-up as we proceed.
Nothing, repeat, Nothing has changed in any of that regard.

The focus at this point has not strayed from the long-term goals. Even with all of that in mind and the ongoing related actions that are presently occurring, the matter of This Season's early demise (and our collective ability to perhaps delay that inevitability) has become clearly pressing. Unfortunately the Recreational Quota for this year is now set in stone. No amount of meetings and/or pressure will sway that - it simply is what it is. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it is something we must understand to gain any ground whatsoever as far as this year is concerned.

If we do nothing and simply accept the current fishing model with the given quota (slightly larger than 1 mill pounds), then all indications are that the season will be cut off for us sometime in August. Not good for anyone in our sector with the thought of fishing for halibut beyond that time. If by making a minor adjustment to the way we fish, we can extend the season for weeks, perhaps even into mid September, would that not be a desirable outcome for all involved? I for one tend to think so.

Considerations ranged from a slot limit (max size) for ONE of the Two fish In Possession (allowing the retention of one larger and one somewhat smaller fish) to the potential of split season 1 & 2 until August, then 1 & 1 thereafter. Both carry the distinct possibility of reducing the daily catch (in pounds) and therefor allowing us to extend the days fished well beyond mid-August. And while it is understood that such recommendations would effect all anglers to some degree, it is likely the guides & lodges themselves that would absorb the more significant impact were either to be implemented.

To quote from another post:
"If we can do this sort of thing in the short term this season, we will be able to ensure there is fishing opportunity all season for all anglers. If we don't....the outcome is predictable when you look at the math behind the current quota and our daily catch rate coast wide."

Hopefully this addresses your (and others here) concerns for this season Lorne. We aren't completely stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. We actually do have the ability to positively effect the duration of our season for the benefit of all involved. Methinks not to do so when given the opportunity would be worse than sitting on our laurels and doing nothing.

And of course, rest assured, efforts ARE Very Much continuing towards the long term goals!

Truly my Friend, we are indeed all in this together. The current situation directly effects us all.
Under the present circumstances, a small sacrifice for the Benefit of ALL seems warranted.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
Sugar coat it how you want, but in the end what is proposed above amounts to taking the DFO/Conservative 85/15 "solution" and making it work (in fact, Searun's very eloquent statement to that effect is quoted), which is in direct contradiction to being opposed to said that quota allocation or the quota allocation approach in general. Now, I can fully accept that my limited intelligence may be missing something obvious here, but how can folks think that making this "long-term solution" delivered by the Conservatives work is going to do anything other than to entrench it and reinforce to them that they made the right decision? In fact, such a last minute, short-term resolution also contradicts a sentiment that Searun promoted vigorously against proposed court action - i.e. the need to carefully plan out the repercussions of such actions. Again, I'm probably missing something obvious here but, have the long-term repercussions of making the 85/15 allocation work for a reasonable season for all? If so, what are they?

I'm open to being convinced otherwise but, at this point in time, the sacrifice/expected benefit described above does not represent me or my rec fishing interests and I am very fearful that the precedent that will be set, as well as the rift in a unified front, does not bode well for the future.

Sugar coat it how you want, but in the end what is proposed above amounts to taking the DFO/Conservative 85/15 "solution" and making it work (in fact, Searun's very eloquent statement to that effect is quoted), which is in direct contradiction to being opposed to said that quota allocation or the quota allocation approach in general.

Perhaps. Climbing a mountain starts with the first steps, of which we have undertaken many.
There are obviously many many more in front of us before we reach where we want to be.

No-one from our Sector that I know is happy with the situation. None offer support for the current quota allocation, nor the undeniable legal ramifications of "management" under this program. That particular message has been delivered, time and time and time again. Nothing will sway us from that belief, nor from pursuing the matter to it's rightful end.

Unfortunately the world of negotiation, and particularly when politics is involved, requires one uphill battle after another - steps up the mountain as it were. This year, we made a few steps in the right direction. With fortitude and determination, we WILL make more into the future. Despite our best intentions and strongest drives, this will not happen overnight. It is an ongoing battle, and we must learn to take the little movements forward as a positive indication we are indeed headed up the right path.

Such is very much the case for this year. There WAS some movement. Insufficient for what we require to make it work. Certainly. But, one small step towards our long term goal. The sky didn't fall down upon us, rather it lifted, however slightly.

Again, I'm probably missing something obvious here but, have the long-term repercussions of making the 85/15 allocation work for a reasonable season for all?

It simply shows we can actually look after our own camp, that we can work collectively towards our common good, even under the heavy thumb of those pressures working against us. It also indicates that while recognizing the situation is FAR from ideal, we are prepared to make short-term sacrifices in an attempt to spread the season out as much as possible for everyone.

The considerations for this season represent a singular action, based on a singular set of conditions. It is not impossible to ensure that they are understood as such, while noting there is no room for continuation through to following years. The fight very much continues, conditions will be different once again next year. Hopefully for the positive, and hopefully there will be no longer need for the type of reflection we face this year.

I understand there is likely no way to make everyone happy given such a contentious issue.
But we have made some little progress, we have made those first small steps up that mountain.
There is a long ways to go, and many arduous steps yet in front of us before we realize our goal.
While that journey continues, one step at a time, why not get the most out of what we have achieved to this point?

Nog

Nog are you suggesting that our climb up the mountain with this years 2 steps forward should be proceed with a one step back. I do get what you are trying to achieve but I think this is too shortsighted. Suppose SFAB brings this to DFO and they accept. We will now have on the books a 1 and 1 with a slot size. They (DFO) will make merry and tell the world we are happy and will go forward with it until they no longer can hide the fact we are not. Sad fact is they will cherry pick the idea and will lose the point that it is a one year only deal. I do appreciate you for your efforts but I need to hear what SFAB says.

http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/docs/halibut_allocation_announcement.pdf
Feb 22/2012 update
The SFAB Halibut Working Group, which includes a number of SFI members, will be meeting with
DFO at the end of the week to discuss possible options for moving forward and for striving for
certainty and stability for the 2012 season and beyond.

Nog, you do know that this is just the tip of the iceberg?
That prawns, crabs, salmon etc. are all going to allocation.
That DFO and the government feel good about this and do not feel the necessity to allocate the amount required as there is no reason to?
The government is not being pressured to solve this so will ignore.

So, i hope you are all ready when they move on to salmon.
Probably do so in the summer when there is no one to complain.

Trust me the commercial sector will be ready.

Nog are you suggesting that our climb up the mountain with this years 2 steps forward should be proceed with a one step back. I do get what you are trying to achieve but I think this is too shortsighted. Suppose SFAB brings this to DFO and they accept. We will now have on the books a 1 and 1 with a slot size. They (DFO) will make merry and tell the world we are happy and will go forward with it until they no longer can hide the fact we are not. Sad fact is they will cherry pick the idea and will lose the point that it is a one year only deal. I do appreciate you for your efforts but I need to hear what SFAB says.

http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/docs/halibut_allocation_announcement.pdf
Feb 22/2012 update
The SFAB Halibut Working Group, which includes a number of SFI members, will be meeting with
DFO at the end of the week to discuss possible options for moving forward and for striving for
certainty and stability for the 2012 season and beyond.

Back