We Need Someone With Money

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Remember when they said no more street hockey and some NHL players said send us the fine.

We need someone with money that is well known publicly to help the rec. sector. Put some of these stupid ideas put forward by people that know jack to the test. There's more rec. fishermen then commercial fishermen yet they have money from our resources that they have sold to fight for their fishery.....

What do we have? I'd say nothing :(

Sure we have the SFAB (how many true sport fishers are on it), SFAC, and the SVIAC but really what can they do. Oh hold on we have some of major lodges backing us up.....HAhahaha Only if its in their best interest $$$$$$$. Now the commercial guys they make a stand. They say this is BS and keep going and work around their small obstacles that often they get paid for. We need something like they have a Rec. Sport Fishing Union. We need a group that wont just except one of two evils. We need a group that says this is BS we are not excepting this unless the commercials do this or you offer us that kind of bargaining.

Yayaya I know keep dreaming

I totally agree with you.......

One body with some clout that speaks for all reccies collectively.....

Of course this does not mean that one body will ever speak for all....there are always people that don't agree with whatever's proposed and there are always factions with their own interests in mind.

I'll play devils' advocate here for a minute:----

I currently belong to nothing at all..........

Why?.........because of the infinitesimal amount of bickering,politics , private agendas....and endless 'hot-air' fests where much is said but little is done.

What will it take to get me to join ?

As you said:- some real representation with a unified body. I would pay "dues" too.......

I'm not going to a whole bunch of meetings just to blow off some steam and emotion.....and I'm not going to sit there and listen to everyone else do it either.

I know it sounds callous....but if all I get out of going to meetings is just somebody "venting"....then I hate to say it....but I just don't care.

I won't go there to listen to such shop-worn hackneyed topics as " it's for the children"...or......" in ten years we'll be out of fish".......or " if your not part of the solution , your part of the problem".....or..."just what do YOU contribute?".

I WILL go if there is a sane,concise discussion from people that actually know what they're talking about.

If it's just rants about Harper or the DFO.......I got other things to do.......

SFAB stands for Sport Fishing Advisory Board.

In other words:- they are there to "advise"..........sort of a "non-testicle" setup , really. Hell, I could come over and advise you on how to paint your house......as if you'd give a crap.....

Like I said, I agree with your idea...actual, real representation with some actual clout.......

some good points here. I don't know the answers but we need to keep to keep with a healthy discussion and try to find a unified solution somehow.

I totally agree with you.......

One body with some clout that speaks for all reccies collectively.....

Of course this does not mean that one body will ever speak for all....there are always people that don't agree with whatever's proposed and there are always factions with their own interests in mind.

I'll play devils' advocate here for a minute:----

I currently belong to nothing at all..........

Why?.........because of the infinitesimal amount of bickering,politics , private agendas....and endless 'hot-air' fests where much is said but little is done.

What will it take to get me to join ?

As you said:- some real representation with a unified body. I would pay "dues" too.......

I'm not going to a whole bunch of meetings just to blow off some steam and emotion.....and I'm not going to sit there and listen to everyone else do it either.

I know it sounds callous....but if all I get out of going to meetings is just somebody "venting"....then I hate to say it....but I just don't care.

I won't go there to listen to such shop-worn hackneyed topics as " it's for the children"...or......" in ten years we'll be out of fish".......or " if your not part of the solution , your part of the problem".....or..."just what do YOU contribute?".

I WILL go if there is a sane,concise discussion from people that actually know what they're talking about.

If it's just rants about Harper or the DFO.......I got other things to do.......

SFAB stands for Sport Fishing Advisory Board.

In other words:- they are there to "advise"..........sort of a "non-testicle" setup , really. Hell, I could come over and advise you on how to paint your house......as if you'd give a crap.....

Like I said, I agree with your idea...actual, real representation with some actual clout.......

I'm sorry but I feel I need to say something here. I'm not trying to pick on you personally SF, or anyone else for that matter, but attitudes like this are exactly why we have been and may well continue (I truly hope not) to be the most un-unified, unorganized fishing sector and as a result the easiest target for the other sectors to push out of the way to their advantage, and our loss.

If the majority of rec anglers in BC sit around and wait for some miracle to happen when SOMEONE ELSE takes the time and effort to get organized to make some postive changes then we are doomed and we should just shut up and accept whatever happens to us. We can't let this happen, there is too much at stake.

"I WILL go if there is a sane,concise discussion from people that actually know what they're talking about."

The reality is this - you and I and every other rec angler in BC ARE THAT SOMEONE ELSE. Now is the time to stop just talking (or just as worse, sitting back and waiting for others to do it for us.) and start acting. It is very easy to sit back and be a critic, we need people who want to change things for the better and are willing to put some time and $ to make it happen.

These are not worn out phrases, these are practical realities that unfortunately can be criticized as tiresome and then used as excuses for inaction IMHO. Again, I don't post this to pick a personal fight, but to point out a prevailing, dysfunctional attitude of waiting for someone else to set up the 'perfect' rec angler organization that suits eveyones needs and opinions. This will never happen as we are too diverse of a sector.

So what to do. I say join an existing group that promotes rec angling that you can live with, or start your own new group and begin working for some postive change. Every year that passes things seem to be getting worse so it is time to (to use a well used phrase) stop talking the talk and start walking the walk.

If we don't we have only ourselves to blame. BC rec anglers are many in number, intelligent, resourceful and passionate about our cause and we can turn things around for the better if we start working together now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

Can we please have an update on what progress SVIAC has made ?
I think the members should know what positive steps have been achieved.

Thanks,:)

WholeInThe Water: well....FA wants someone with a lot of money and I would guess political clout to go along with it...

I think there's a lot of people out there who would second his motion.....

Again I'm going to be devils' advocate......I think there are many many fishers who feel exactly like I do.....

Whatever category I'm lumped into is a matter of semantics......

I concur with you largely "That we are that someone else".....but apathy trumps Tony Robbins motivational chutzpah.........and unless we come up with an organization where the average fisher feels they have meaningful input and derive some kind of satisfaction and/or enjoyment from attending........then a lot of people won't be there....

Had a great idea today :) Maybe Jimmy could use some of the 5.8 billion he's sitting on. Helping us get back what some of his own companies have stolen from us.

There isn't any group that can be successful without the support of the majority of the core group they represent. Without a strong membership and the funds to support the mission, nothing can be done. It takes members and funds first, then the work can be done....not the other way around. Do nothing...get nothing...simple.

There isn't any group that can be successful without the support of the majority of the core group they represent. Without a strong membership and the funds to support the mission, nothing can be done. It takes members and funds first, then the work can be done....not the other way around. Do nothing...get nothing...simple.

Good point, profisher. The problem here lies in identifying the "core" group. If it is the pure recreational sports fishery - ie excluding lodges and guides (SFI) - it is a huge group and getting support of the majority would be a herculean task. I suspect the majority of this group are quite happy to go with the flow and accept the fact that someone else is going to make a whole bunch of rules that they will need to abide by. For the most part, they will not really care that much about a few lodges are buying halibut quota under a program that they have never heard about nor could give two hoots about even if they had heard about it.
Frankly, I think that we will continue to see a whole lot of huffing and puffing on forums such as this with nothing of value actually being accomplished because the majority of the group simply does't care.

agreed - tired of listening to all the whiners and the lack of support on northerly reaches of the island just because they seem to think everything SVIAC is doing will only effect South Island because that is what the mission statement says. I already outlined this before but get real - they outline 3 newsletters a year, we got one in May - do the math, thats 2 months ago. Website not updated recently - its summer, this is still a startup and as it is, they are short staffed on site management and I know could use help if someone was willing to volunteer. Realize, the membership base is still small probably about 250 currently - do the math. Do you really think you can change an industry on $10k/year? Of course not. The guys on the board work their arses off and are doing what they can with the resources they currently have all the while, others sit around and whine and say they are doing nothing. Perhaps if everyone here signed up, told their friends, and actually helped get the membership base built up, they could then start doing things and getting around more to talk to the people that matter. There are 6700 members on this board - probably only 1% of them are members - if we were to get 20%, that pays for someone to lobby in Ottawa full time. It doesn't take much, but this is the hub at were it starts and so far the unwillingness is quite disappointing. Those north of the malahat is 1 thing, those south though, whats the excuse? I use my card at both Wise Buys and I.O....I AM paying for my membership, its not just some silly slogan and I am not even a regular fisherman.

Give the SVIAC boys time - give them a year before you gripe about that $40 spent. With time, more volunteers, more resources, the updates will be able to flow more frequent. Until then, you just have to respect the crew for the love of the resource and the sport and know they are doing what they can as volunteers to try make a difference while still trying to live their normal life and do their 9 to 5. Help get the word out, help bring in new members - Morton wouldn't be able to do anything without the donations she receives - this is no different. Its our resource, we pay that membership for a tank of gas without blinking, and for 1 dinner out, yet how many say its too much?

Whatever.....

SVIAC doesn't exclude lodges/guides. One of the goals is a true coalition of all groups who have an interest in fish. Fish is the common thread with commercial. recreational (including lodges/guides) FN, environmental groups and the existing and established groups like SFI, PSF, CWF . All these groups should be able to join together with a unified and strong voice in support of fish. We need to force DFO to act and get a recovery plan underway and the more voices behind us, the loader that message will be and the harder it will be to ignore.

I sure hope I don't have to read SVIAC promotion/advertisement on every thread...........Personally right from the get go if they wanted more support and interest from others it should have been caledl TAC.... The Anglers Coalition

I sure hope I don't have to read SVIAC promotion/advertisement on every thread...........Personally right from the get go if they wanted more support and interest from others it should have been caledl TAC.... The Anglers Coalition
You come across as very cynical FA.

The folks here "promoting" SVIAC as you call it are not trying to make money or advertise some business. They are here explaining where SVIAC is and where it is at in its growth start up in response to all the negative griping on here of which your comment is a good example.

As to why it is called SVIAC that was debated long and hard but is was decided to start smaller and grow chapters from there. SVIAC can't "boil the ocean" and certainly not with the small membership it has now.

However, the vision for it becomingTAC is there for the future, that is why the domain name has already been claimed.
http://anglerscoalition.com/

But I doubt you have even been to this site and would never become a member, whatever it was called. Easier to criticise the volunteers and those that are advocates, isn't it?

But I doubt you have even been to this site and would never become a member, whatever it was called. Easier to criticise the volunteers and those that are advocates, isn't it?
You are wrong.......

But I for sure ain't going to be apart of or throw any of my money into it to fighting for the south island anglers. You guys are hard on fish.... :) :)

I am just getting sick of all the south islanders on the bandwagon posting SVIAC on every thread. Become a voice show us your fighting and making a stand then show us the efforts and out comes and I am sure people will donate. Or do nothing but post SVIAC every where and have people annoyed not wanting to donate.

Then there are guys like you that have already categorized them selfs if this small group that stand around and categorize others as this don't have interest yet to just jump in and give the SVIAC money. Remeber we are all fishermen and some of us have different views and interests then other fishermen. If your members continue to push people you might just find we back further away.

oh the irony...

fish-butt.....

and the name a fish rights group being called TAC

oh the irony...

fish-butt.....

and the name a fish rights group being called TAC

Your the first...... I was waiting all afternoon for someone to say something.

Fish-butt hahaha funny

Trophy-Wife are you?....hahaha

let's not go off the rails here......

I think the point of this thread is:- that the representation we have is not really politically strong enough...and....that the repesentation tends to be fractionated and area specific.

Yes there are lots of involved hardworking volunteers....but I think we need to work smarter not harder.

Streamkeeping and such is one thing......decision-making at the political executive level is entirely another.

We have all the volunteers in the world.......we have lots of passion and emotion.....many have a lot of knowledge.

What we don't have is any real power.

When you think about a governing body for reccies in B.C....that's quite an undertaking.
Every area has it's own needs and wants.

There would be a multitude of agendas on the table continually.

Vancouver Island would not be an entity unto itself unless the organization was about Van Isle only.

But there's the rest of British Columbia coast to consider as well.......

Grass-roots emotion is all fine and dandy......but if you want to play in the big leagues you need money and power.

Back