water-maker

bigdogeh

Hey, this is prob a bit off topic for a fishing forum but I'm curious if anyone here has ever ordered something from overseas and had it shipped by sea to the port of vancouver? I'm thinking of building a 30-40 gph RO watermaker (to desalinate seawater) for my boat and have found a company that supplies the main components (membranes, high pressure membrane housings, filters, etc) at a very good price. (about a third of what US companies are selling the components for)
The interesting thing is that some of the more popular companies building these water-makers are sourcing their components from this overseas company.
I'm just trying to get my head around how to get the package once it reaches the port. paperwork involved, taxes to pay, where and how to pick up, etc.
I'd kinda like to do it even if just for the experience.

a few years ago I purchased a new truck down in the US when the dollar was at par using a fleet broker and after all the smoke had cleared saved over 25K CAD plus the tax that would be required on that 25K if i had purchased locally. It wasn't too difficult at all. I just had to make sure the money was at the right place at the right time basically. the broker did most of the work. vehicle was even shipped over the border and dropped off at the canadian tire in abottsford to do the riv inspection, etc....
I thought it was a pretty good experience and interesting at the same time. the feeling of saving a good chunck of money didn't hurt either.

not sure if i'll get many responses to this post and it is a bit off topic but interested in listening to someone who has maybe imported an item using sea freight and their experiences good or bad.
thxs,
bigD

Back