Water in my fuel tank

salmon slayer

I justfound out after trouble shooting that I have a large amount of water in my fuel tank. When winterized each year (boat is 10 yearsold) I would put fuel conditioner in and make sure the tank was full. Every spring I would replace the water fuel separator filter. This has built up over time and or possibly some bad gas at that fill up.

Is there anything you can add when fuelling up to minimize or eliminate this problem in the future?
What do others do?

Sounds like you are doing all the right preventative maintenance on your fuel system. I would keep track of were you are fueling up sounds like contaminated fuel from gas station.

Could there be a leak somewhere? Filler cap, sending unit inspection cover, vent plumbing or something along those lines? Do you fill up in remote low volume locations or high volume spots?

I would check your filler cap also. Great spot for water getting in.

I've found out no matter if tank is full or not I get water in my fuel tank after winter. My boat is kept outdoor the cold nights and warm days seems to create condensation and would deposit water in the fuel tank. I've tried different fuel stabilizers to no avail. Until I tried adding methyl hydrate into the tank and that has taken care of the problem.

Depending on your fuel line setup you might have another option. Mine is fuel tank to T split one goes to main engine and the other goes to outboard. If I don't have methyl hydrate at home or forgot to bring one with me on trip I would pump out about 3 L of fuel from outboard engine fuel line and that seems to work too.

Hope that helps.

I know working up north if you don't fill up your truck nightly then condensation builds when the sun and temperature drops up in the empty space in your tank....might work for your boat too along with the usual conditioner/seafoam

I used to keep my boat at my dad's house. We were heading out one morning and since I live a hour away he though he would help out before I got there by filling the gas and water tanks, only problem was he filled the fuel tank with water and water tank with fuel.

I used to keep my boat at my dad's house. We were heading out one morning and since I live a hour away he though he would help out before I got there by filling the gas and water tanks, only problem was he filled the fuel tank with water and water tank with fuel.
got to love it when they try to help,

Back